Forum Announcement

Options

Comments

• pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    Options
    Robin9 wrote: »
    There are places where improvement is due eg Energy where you can post under Water, LPG, solid fuel but not Gas or Electric. No wonder new users get confused.

This site used to have a Gas & Electricity board, but it was renamed as the Energy board as part of the preparations for the latest and greatest forum skin.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4882648

Next you'll be expecting the return of the MSE Martin picture complete with his rabbit ears on for Easter!

Perhaps MSE should concentrate their efforts at getting the basics right, such as the correct current time in the UK!
    (as opposed to expecting all readers to have to create an account, sign in, and change the time zone in their user account, just to show the correct time :cool:)
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've not noticed many issues (using the old green version on a laptop with Firefox) though of course no idea about the IT behind it all.

But I agree more active Mod support is needed to weed out trolls. When doing so, time is needed to review whole threads and/or postig history, not just individual posts. That means more human resource.
  • pooch
    pooch Posts: 828 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2019 at 4:57PM
    Options
    With all the calls for a general return to the old green style board, I wonder if MSE Martin has concluded yet that, despite allowed time (almost 5 years now) some of us still don't approve of the change to the new blue style?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=68027616&postcount=121

However, these were the reasons put forward at the time for the new style:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224895

The difficulty now is with yet a new forum design, does MSE move further forwards with their design, or do they return to the forum design that, from the comments above, so many MSE users obviously still adore.

As for this latest proposed update, whilst I see that the MSE says "we welcome your constructive feedback", will anyone actually listen this time? (because they certainly didn't last time*)

* - it's not just me saying this now, here is a comment by one of the BG's from back in 2015 about the redesign, and the feedback given then
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=69198458&postcount=5
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Looking forward to a shiny new platform :j:j:j
    Please, no, anything but this :eek:

Please, it needs to be functional addressing the requirements of the users. Please, never form over function. I've seen too many sites go this way.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All I really care about is the tick/cross on the competitions board.

Could we please have the ability to view the competitions board by threads ticked, threads crossed or threads with neither?
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some sub-forums, eg Autoenrollment on the Pensions board are not well visited, and requests have been made to amalgamate that board with the main Pensions one - to no effect.
    Is it necessary to have "sub-forums" rather than additional main forums for popular topic types.
    And here's plus 1 vote to keep the older green layout for PC - it shows what you need without being distracting (its not entirely the colour, more what is presented and how).
  • gaydrianmole
    Options
    pooch wrote: »
    The difficulty now is with yet a new forum design, does MSE move further forwards with their design, or do they return to the forum design that, from the comments above, so many MSE users obviously still adore.

Or do they go hot pink and really twist your melon, man? :money:
  • powerful_Rogue
    Options
    Xenforo hopefully!
  • msdoc
    msdoc Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve never experienced any issues with the forums however I do agree they need a slight update. I’m mainly a phone user for the site, I think for the competitions thread in particular the ability to mark if you’ve read a thread, also to be able to attach an end date to the thread ( instead of just in title ) which then automatically changes it to finished. This will help with searching for threads and maintain the comp boards tidyness! X
  • john539
    john539 Posts: 16,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE_Marcus wrote: »
    Dear MSE Forumites!

I’m Marcus and I’m the Editor-in-Chief at MoneySavingExpert.com.

I have some really important news to share with you and I hope you will all be as excited as we are here at MSE Towers.

MSE Forums began almost 17 years ago and has become one of the UK’s biggest communities. It’s a lively, active place to share everything from MoneySaving tips to the best slow-cooker recipes. We’re incredibly proud of what you, the Forumites, have built, and see it as an invaluable part of our wider mission to help consumers.

For our regulars though, you will have noticed over the past few years that the bit we do – the technology that supports our Forum - has been creaking at best, and completely broken at worst. We’ve reached the stage where our present platform is simply unsustainable – when it breaks, we’re not able to fix it.

We want your Forum to live for at least another 17 years.

So, we’ve made the big decision to significantly invest in a new platform which all of you will be moved across to. We aim to keep the best of the existing Forum, but tackle the frustrating bits that you tell us you don’t like.

To be clear, some things will change. But staying as we are is not an option, and the alternative would be closing the MSE Forums – which we have no intention of doing.

After many months of planning, research and an awful lot of meetings, we’ve found a new provider and work has started on the behind-the-scenes technology.

Your new platform will – hopefully – go live in early 2020. But in the meantime, we need your help! We’re looking for a top team of Forumites to help us with the finishing touches, especially the ‘look’ and ‘feel’ of our new Forum. If you’re interested in becoming a member (there may be a Badge!) of the Fab-Forumite Feature Testing Group, please let us know by registering your interest here

We realise some of you may feel apprehensive about all this. But closing the Forum simply wasn’t an option to Martin, myself or the rest of MSE. That means, despite the challenges, we’re hoping you will embrace the new Forum.

As always, we welcome your constructive feedback and keep your eyes peeled for regular updates from me and the Forum Team over the coming weeks.

Marcus Herbert
    Editor-in-Chief, MoneySavingExpert.com
    Don't throw the baby out with the bath water !

Don't ruin it !

It's very easy to take for granted what you have now, do fancy new redesign & ruin things.

Sorry, doesn't sound good, seen it happen elsewhere.

I think old style dense layout is fantastic.

It's so easy to let the web designers loose with their fancy redesigns and they never get it right on what has evolved over many many years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure