Win 10 update

Options

Comments

• abssorb
    abssorb Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dollardog wrote: »
    No, not a typo. It already had 2GB, I just bought a 4GB and installed it in the spare slot. It could take more but I don't need anymore. I don't use it for gaming or anything. If I decide to later I could swap the 2GB for another 4GB but am quite happy as it is.

It's generally better to have memory in pairs.
    Try pulling out the 2Gb stick and see if the machine speeds up / crashes less.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The latest version was released last night, version 1809.
    Blimey, so it was. I wouldn't be in a hurry to install it, but if you're keen install it from media... (read from "Create Windows 10 installation media")

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Supatramp
    Supatramp Posts: 693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have just checked as per 'poppellerant' instructions, and I'm at version 1803, and up to date, so obviously have to wait for 1809.
    David.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Supatramp wrote: »
    I have just checked as per 'poppellerant' instructions, and I'm at version 1803, and up to date, so obviously have to wait for 1809.

If you use the 'Update' option you should be able to download and install now. I did mine this morning although it did fail on first restart, a second restart sorted the problem though.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you use the 'Update' option you should be able to download and install now. I did mine this morning although it did fail on first restart, a second restart sorted the problem though.
    On an older laptop the update has already failed on the first attempt. I am currently undergoing attempt #2.
  • dogmaryxx
    dogmaryxx Posts: 2,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Super-important to know is that this option only works on devices where no compatibility issue is detected, and the same machine learning system is being used. In other words, if there’s as chance that the update fails on your system, checking for updates wouldn’t display any results, and the October 2018 Update wouldn’t be offered for download.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/how-to-download-windows-10-october-2018-update-right-now-523026.shtml
  • 25_Years_On
    25_Years_On Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Update 1803 is known to have caused issues with slowness. My laptop was terrible afterwards. I understand that later updates have improved the situation. I switched to my other laptop and turned off updates entirely for now.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 October 2018 at 4:03PM
    Options
    On an older laptop the update has already failed on the first attempt. I am currently undergoing attempt #2.
    My trusty 2011 i3 8GB managed it ok this morning ;) 2 2007 & 2010 vintage desktops currently updating.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    My trusty 2011 i3 8GB managed it ok this morning ;) 2 2007 & 2010 vintage desktops currently updating.
    This one is a Core Duo released in about 2006. It's failed the second update, so I will just perform a clean installation in the future.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Blimey, so it was. I wouldn't be in a hurry to install it, but if you're keen install it from media... (read from "Create Windows 10 installation media")

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Be careful, forcing the latest Win 10 update doesn't necessarily work correctly on all hardware. I guess that is why Windows update doesn't always update to the latest version and reports "no updates available" when there is clearly one you can manually install yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure