FREE BT Broadband I-Plate (£1.20 P&P)

Options

Comments

• Dreamsorcerer
    Options
    Dunx69 wrote: »
    never tried this but remember if you get it wrong an engineer visit charge is £115 plus how long it it takes for him to fix, for £1.20 P&P your better off with the i-plate me thinks rather than risking the above...

As I said, it's not as scary as it sounds, it's designed to be maintained by the user, it's not BT's or anyone else's responsibility, you can just pull the cable out, that's what it's there for. You've got more risk of your i-plate not arriving than breaking your wiring, judging by the picture above, you have to take the faceplate off anyway in order to affix the i-plate, so it's not going to take more effort than getting an i-plate.

You can have it done 10 minutes from now, rather than waiting for an i-plate to arrive, and you don't have to pay P&P, this forums about saving money, right? So don't pay for something that you can do yourself with minimal effort.
  • Dreamsorcerer
    Options
    Why don't you just get Virgin, which speeds the line up by about minimum 2 fold ;)

hmm, I don't think this is relevant, removing this wire should improve speed regardless of which ISP you are using. I also can't imagine that Virgin could double my speed on an ADSL connection, 20Mbps??
  • billinge
    billinge Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    billinge wrote: »
    My phone line is actually with Tiscali, but the order went through ok.
    We shall see what happens.

Hmm, got an email yesterday saying I am not a BT customer so they have stopped the order. Never Mind, perhaps I'll just disconnect the bell cable and see if that works...
  • zcaprd7
    zcaprd7 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Options
    Damn:

Thank you for your recent request for a BT Broadband Accelerator.

According to our records you are not a BT Total Broadband customer. As this offer is limited to BT Total Broadband customers only this request will not be progressed.

Stupid BT order form letting me think I had a deal...
  • ComputerWhizz
    Options
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can do this for free anyway, using this guide, dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html. Sounds like it's doing pretty much the same thing.

You just need to pull out one or two wires, it's not as scary as it sounds, and you don't need to be an engineer. The wires are held in a grip, you can just slide them out with a pair of tweezers, and if something did go wrong, you could put them back in just as easily.

I done this awhile ago, and noticed a significant speed boost, can't remember the exact details, but definitely worth the 2 minutes it took to go round my house and slide out a couple of wires.

Remember to test your speed before and after to see what the speed improvement is, there is a good speed test here thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html.

hmm, apparently I'm not allowed to use links...

I'd rather spend £1.20 then mess up my phone connection. I've heard some "horror stories" in the past where people have disconnected the wire themselves, then had their speed drop badly and even with the wire reconnected it didn't improve.
  • Lucie_C
    Lucie_C Posts: 110 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, Dunx69. It won't work for me but I have passed the information along to my neighbour, who might be able to make use of this offer.
  • Dreamsorcerer
    Options
    I'd rather spend £1.20 then mess up my phone connection. I've heard some "horror stories" in the past where people have disconnected the wire themselves, then had their speed drop badly and even with the wire reconnected it didn't improve.

I've not heard this before, but without any knowledge of an i-plate, it's just as likely that the i-plate will do the same thing...

I'm not an expert, but I followed the guide I linked above and just pulled out a wire from each socket around the house, and got an instant speed boost. If this wire causes interference, by pulling it out you remove that interference, the i-plate is doing the same thing, so I can't see how removing interference would result in a speed drop, and if it did, then the i-plate should give a speed drop as well, seeing as it is doing the same thing.

So, as long as you don't get out any wire cutters and start doing permanent damage, I don't see anything going wrong.
  • TurkishDelight
    TurkishDelight Posts: 7,739 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for this thread- we're going to move stuff about so we can get to the socket later and try it. From reading about it, it all seems simple enough, and logical. I'd rather go straight to the source than fit another microfilter stye thing that I'll probably have to replace in a months time :rolleyes:
    This is my opinion. There are many others like it but this is mine
    :kisses2: Fiancee of the "lovely" DaveAshton :kisses2:
    I am a professional ebay seller. I work hard at my job, I love my job, if you think it's silly that's your problem not mine. :p
  • Dreamsorcerer
    Options
    Thanks for this thread- we're going to move stuff about so we can get to the socket later and try it. From reading about it, it all seems simple enough, and logical. I'd rather go straight to the source than fit another microfilter stye thing that I'll probably have to replace in a months time :rolleyes:

Don't forget the speed test ;)
    thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Hope to hear what the speed difference was.
    Still can't post links :P
  • ComputerWhizz
    Options
    I've not heard this before, but without any knowledge of an i-plate, it's just as likely that the i-plate will do the same thing...

I'm not an expert, but I followed the guide I linked above and just pulled out a wire from each socket around the house, and got an instant speed boost. If this wire causes interference, by pulling it out you remove that interference, the i-plate is doing the same thing, so I can't see how removing interference would result in a speed drop, and if it did, then the i-plate should give a speed drop as well, seeing as it is doing the same thing.

So, as long as you don't get out any wire cutters and start doing permanent damage, I don't see anything going wrong.

I know, I thought it was a bit strange too. I've got a feeling that they may have pulled out a wrong wire or something. From what I have read about the i-plate/removing bell wire, it can sometimes take upto a week for the speed to gradually improve (it's something to do with the speed and noise interference information stored at the BT exchanges). Anyways, I've ordered mine and I'm going to give it a shot!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure