FREE BT Broadband I-Plate (£1.20 P&P)

Comments

• Don't forget the speed test ;)
    thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Hope to hear what the speed difference was.
    Still can't post links :P

There is another really good broadband tester at speedtest.net where you can choose a local server wherever you are in the world, which you may find improves your speed slightly.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why don't you just get Virgin, which speeds the line up by about minimum 2 fold ;)

That's helpful. :rolleyes: I'll just dig up the road and lay fibre optic to the nearest Virgin box about 2 miles away. :D
    The man without a signature.
  • There is another really good broadband tester at speedtest.net where you can choose a local server wherever you are in the world, which you may find improves your speed slightly.

Thanks, seem to be about the same speed, but there's lots of great options on there, and amazingly I apparently used it almost exactly a year ago, under your results it has my IP listed with previous results :P (I have a static IP)

Apparently I'm ranked 92% global, and 97% local, yay. I'm going to use this as evidence that removing that wire improves your speed :P
  • Apparently I'm ranked 92% global, and 97% local, yay. I'm going to use this as evidence that removing that wire improves your speed :P

I wish mine was. I am 51% global and 44% local :eek:
    When I get my i-plate I'll report back and let you chaps know if there's been any improvement.
  • Enjoy
    Enjoy Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As I said, it's not as scary as it sounds, it's designed to be maintained by the user, it's not BT's or anyone else's responsibility, you can just pull the cable out, that's what it's there for. You've got more risk of your i-plate not arriving than breaking your wiring, judging by the picture above, you have to take the faceplate off anyway in order to affix the i-plate, so it's not going to take more effort than getting an i-plate.

You can have it done 10 minutes from now, rather than waiting for an i-plate to arrive, and you don't have to pay P&P, this forums about saving money, right? So don't pay for something that you can do yourself with minimal effort.

I wanted to let you know I pulled out the orange wire from number 3 on all the sockets in my house and my speed has more than doubled !! I'm so glad as I was going to leave Talk Talk broadband as I thought it was slow to crawling speed. I'm so glad I read this thread. I've told all my friends too.
    Thank you again. :):)
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I wish mine was. I am 51% global and 44% local :eek:
    When I get my i-plate I'll report back and let you chaps know if there's been any improvement.
    Why wait?Just remove the bell wire, pin 3?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Dunx69
    Dunx69 Posts: 183 Forumite
    receibved mine a few ays ago, have done quite a few speed tests and I seem to have gained 1mb :) - the tests will continue though
    All hail the Jack Daniels Swozzler!:beer:
  • Carcon
    Carcon Posts: 78 Forumite
    Thanks for this, got mine yesterday and installed.

I had already removed the bellwire myself but we will see if this makes any difference. :T
    Did you know that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy?!
  • VIJAY_FROM_KENT
    VIJAY_FROM_KENT Posts: 2,126 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This sounds all very interesting! Can you create any problems removing this 3rd wire?
  • Enjoy wrote: »
    I wanted to let you know I pulled out the orange wire from number 3 on all the sockets in my house and my speed has more than doubled !! I'm so glad as I was going to leave Talk Talk broadband as I thought it was slow to crawling speed. I'm so glad I read this thread. I've told all my friends too.
    Thank you again. :):)

(Didn't get an email update for the thread, maybe my disposable email went down :( )

Great news, glad to hear it.
    This sounds all very interesting! Can you create any problems removing this 3rd wire?

Not that I know of, the face plate is designed to be maintained by the occupants rather than any professionals. Just pull the wire out with your fingers or a pair of tweezers, if something were to go wrong you could quite easily push it back in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure