FREE BT Broadband I-Plate (£1.20 P&P)

Comments

• Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,002 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Dunx69 wrote: »
    are you still downloading at this speed or was it a glitch?

:confused:

Seems to have been a glitch! Sad. can't explain the results I got as further tests are within the usual range.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone can explain the result? :confused:
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    has anyone been brave to pull the wire yet ? what happen ?
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes loads of folks, its a standard way of improving your speed and well documented.
    If you can wire a plug you can remove the bell wire.
    The improvement if any depends on the length of you extention wiring.
    Read this and go for it.
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php

You have nothing to lose but the noise on your line!!
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • hiya,can someone help me,i have really bad interference on phone line,broadband working ok,removed front plate to discover no wires are connected,could someone be kind enough to tell me where red wire and green wire are meant to be into,have 4 bits they can go in,have tried different ways but cannot figure out which wire should be where,thanks to anyone who can help,xx
    i came into the world with nothing,and guess what? i still have it!!!:p
  • penrhyn
    If you have no extensions then there should be no wires connected to the faceplate.
    Any spare wires should be coiled out of the way.
    If your line is noisy then you should ring BT or whoever you pay your line rental to and get it sorted.
    BTW if ringing BT don't mention broadband as they will shunt you off to your ISP.
    You could try a quiet line test:-
    Unplug any extension phones, extension cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extension cord etc..) may be charged a call-out fee by BT .

PS I'm assuming you are not talking about a cordless phone.
  • hiya,thanks for helping,yes its a cordless phone,tried another cordless phone,bought new extension cable,no joy!! tried phoning bt but could not hear them its a nightmare,tried emailing bt,still waiting for a reply three days later,do have broadband but not having any bother with it,any other suggestions would be most appreciated,axx
  • penrhyn
    I suggest you plug a wired phone into your master socket and check if thats OK, BT won't be interested in problems with cordless phones.
    You may be hearing ADSL noise resulting from not fitting your filters correctly.
    Be aware that if you are using an extension for your base station you need to have an ADSL filter at one end or the other. The best way to locate your ADSL filter at your main phone socket, router to the RJ port and any extensions to its telephone port.
    If you have hard wired extensions then each one thats used needs filtering.

Have a read of this:
    http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php
  • ah thanks for that,think i know whats wrong,i dont have a adsl filter on bt box only got one on end of extension,where i have phone and broadband into it,will buy another filter see if that works,thanks for helping,axx
  • I removed the bell wire some months ago and my ADSL speed went from aroun 4.5Mbps to 6Mbps. I had some work done on the house since then and ran new extensions myself (I'm a Network Engineer) and my router is saying 8Mbps download speed.
    Tried out the speedtest.net using my nearest server. According to Speedtest Manchester is less than 50 miles away from Edinburgh!
  • Just received and installed my i-plate, just have to wait and see if it works! :)

:confused: "Ask yourself, do you want to be RIGHT or do you want to be HAPPY?":confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure