I pay for nearly everything!!

Options
I would like to get people's opinions of the position I have found myself in as feel I'm being taken for granted by my Husband in respect of money and free lodgings!!

When we met I already owned by own house and he moved in with me. To protect my assets I have always paid the mortgage and bills (solely) and he just gives me £100 per week for the food shop. He has a child from a previous marriage who we have every weekend. I'm not going to lie I do feel the struggle each month and don't have much spare cash. My husband has a really low income job and in the 7 years I've known him has never tried to find a better paid job and has always been secretive in more ways than one.

My husband has two of his own houses that are rented out (one with a mortgage and one without) yet he is in debt considerably (approx £20 - £30K). He's so secretive with everything and never wants to tell me anything about his finances whatsoever, yet I'm totally open and have on several occasions written down all my outgoings to explain why I'm feeling disgruntled with the situation as it is.

I'm getting to the end of my tether now as 12 months ago I challenged him to sell one of the rental houses to clear his debt and if there was any money left over perhaps look at buying a bigger property between us.....this has never happened. In fact anything I have put to him has never happened and I feel like the end is near.

Am I being unfair in putting pressure on him to clear a substantial debt that he has had since I met him? I am seriously thinking of calling it a day as feel he is just living off me and am fed up with the excuses and broken promises.

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Secretive, owns two houses whilst you only own one, has three income streams to your (I assume) one, yet only you are paying the main bulk of stuff?

I cannot believe youve put up with this as long as you have!
  • Danipat
    Danipat Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yeah I agree with the person above. My husband pays for most things becuase he earns more than me but if I was spending money on myself, going out etc and he could see I had spare money Im sure he wouldnt ber very happy. Tell him how you feel and tell him your not prepared to put up with it.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    All-in for £100 a week? He’s having a laugh at your expense I’m afraid.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And you married him because ..........

Sounds like a total loser
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How long have you been married?
    If you're in England/Wales and you're married, unless it is a short marriage with no children, after a few years the starting point will be a 50/50 split of everything if you get divorced. There is no 'protecting my assets', 'his' or 'mine'.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Forumnewbie1
    Options
    I will have been married to him 5 years in September and am usually a really strong individual so cant actually believe I'm standing for it but I suppose I'm thinking I married him knowing the situation it's my own fault!!
  • BAFE
    BAFE Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Divorce him. You'll get half of all the assets plus you won't have to support another grown adult who only gives you £100 a week.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So where does all his money go.

I don't blame you for being unhappy.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I will have been married to him 5 years in September and am usually a really strong individual so cant actually believe I'm standing for it but I suppose I'm thinking I married him knowing the situation it's my own fault!!

I posted this in response to a thread the other day but I think its applicable for you also.

Good judgement comes from experience. Sometimes experience comes from bad judgement.

I'm all for couples finding whatever works for them, but it has to work for both of them....not just one of them. Is he willing to contribute more to the mortgage and bills? What was said about the length of relationship meaning a 50/50 split on start aside, you could have had him contribute...just either to bills only or paying an amount for "rent" on the strict understanding he wouldn't gain any interest in the property (and not paying towards maintaining the property).

You say he's not willing to sell a property to clear the debt but is that because the rental income will pay off the debt anyway while keeping the asset intact?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I don't think his debt is necessarily the problem because it is balanced by assets. Sounds to me like the problem is he isn't contributing fairly to the joint living costs (so a cash flow issue not a who has what houses or debts) and while this may have been badged as 'protecting' you asset it is costing you financially to do this, while the situation also protects his assets and does not cost him financially...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport