AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• Archycd
    Options
    I have asked Customer services at Autoaid twice by E mail if I am covered for travel in the Scottish Islands - particularly Isle of Mull. I am still waiting for a response.
    There does not appear to be a clear definition in the policy Document.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It appears to be mainland UK only.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Solarjunkie
    Solarjunkie Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Confused now - not enough Tesco points to renew with RAC, this looks like a good deal but the MSE report seems not to be up to date, may a mod could look into it? Does the general rule "if it sounds too good to be true, it is" apply here?
    Deal with things as they are, not as they should be.
  • mdarr
    mdarr Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i miss filled and could not get any help lesson learned be careful at pumps
  • DPS-2016
    DPS-2016 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ordered breakdown cover for my mother-in-law via AutoAid based on the good reviews on MSE. Within 24 hours my mother-in-law had decided to stick with her current provider. Despite the fact that it has been less than 24 hours since the order was made and the policy start date was still more than a week away, AutoAid demanded a cancellation charge equivalent to 30% of the premium.
    I certainly wouldn't recommend them.

Hi FrenchFrancks,

Sorry to hear of your negative experience with Auto-Aid. I know that another person has responded to you regarding this but I'd advise you to double check re: being charged for your cancellation.

Current Auto Aid policy is that during the cooling off period (which they call the 'withdrawal period'), i.e. within 14 days of taking out/receiving your policy, that you will get a full refund of your premium.

This is as long as your policy has not already commenced.

If you're within the cooling off period but your policy has commenced, then you will be given a partial refund subject to a minimum premium £15 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

From Auto Aid:
    If you cancel your policy within the 14-day withdrawal period, and before the commencement of the policy, we will refund the full premium. If you cancel your policy within the 14-day withdrawal period, but after your policy has commenced, we will refund the part of the premium you have not used subject to a minimum premium of £15 plus IPT.

Sounds like there could have been an administrative error?

Hope this helps.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 June 2017 at 6:19PM
    Options
    DPS-2016 wrote: »
    Hi FrenchFrancks,

Sorry to hear of your negative experience with Auto-Aid. I know that another person has responded to you regarding this but I'd advise you to double check re: being charged for your cancellation.

Current Auto Aid policy is that during the cooling off period (which they call the 'withdrawal period'), i.e. within 14 days of taking out/receiving your policy, that you will get a full refund of your premium.

This is as long as your policy has not already commenced.

If you're within the cooling off period but your policy has commenced, then you will be given a partial refund subject to a minimum premium £15 plus Insurance Premium Tax.

From Auto Aid:

Sounds like there could have been an administrative error?

Hope this helps.
    Where did you find those (out of date ?) T&Cs ? The latest clearly state a £15 charge before commencement of cover.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just renewed my AutoAid cover and had a very pleasant experience (as much as paying money can be pleasurable)...

Firstly, my renewal price had gone up 93p but was still lower than the price on the website. At last a company that recognises loyalty.

I also notice that it is now a proper breakdown service, and no longer do you need to arrange the recovery yourself and then claim it back - just call an 0800 number.

My renewal was unbelievably fast - I had the renewal email in my inbox this morning and had the new cover document a couple of minutes later.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • DPS-2016
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    Where did you find those (out of date ?) T&Cs ? The latest clearly state a £15 charge before commencement of cover.

They were sent to me via e-mail from AutoAid as part of my renewal offer on 27th June 2017.

Have you got a copy (or link to) the latest T&C's that you're referring to please?

Thanks.
  • DPS-2016
    Options
    DPS-2016 wrote: »
    They were sent to me via e-mail from AutoAid as part of my renewal offer on 27th June 2017.

Have you got a copy (or link to) the latest T&C's that you're referring to please?

Thanks.

Interestingly today, I got a reminder again about renewing my AutoAid cover, which thus far I have not.

Even more interestingly, the wording re:cancellation has changed and seems to confirm what others have said regarding being charged a minimum £15 admin fee (even if the policy hasn't started).
    If the policy does not meet your requirements, you have the right to cancel the policy within 14 days of your renewal date. Provided you have not had any claims, we will refund any premiums paid minus any charges. A minimum charge of £15 + IPT from the Insurer will be applicable. We will also deduct a £15 administration charge to cancel your policy.
    If you purchase your policy before renewal date but subsequently decide to cancel we will apply a £15 administration fee.

I still think AutoAid offer great cover at a competitive price, however, bearing in mind the situation regarding cancellations, make sure you're 100% sure before your take out a policy or renew! :money:
  • hubb
    hubb Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was about to take the lowest AA cover but Autoaid offer so much more for a little more money. I have been with them before so will go with them again I think.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback