Where to get a VISA Electron card?

Options
Does anyone know where I can get a VISA Electron card?

It seems to be the only way to avoid extortionate credit/debit card charges on Ryanair.com - £14 on a £104 flight! That's over 13% in charges! Sorry but I refuse to pay them that much...

I notice that Barclays offer one, but only for 16 to 19 years olds. Do you think they are fussy about the age? I was 19 once... :rotfl:

regards

TT

Comments

• iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a visa electron from my A&L standard current account
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    HSBC and Natwest issue Solo cards. All other banks have basic accounts with Visa Electron cards. I am not sure about Barclays and age though.
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rbs do a maestro cirrus card(or a switch card), ive had it since i was 18/19,
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • tammyfshr
    tammyfshr Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    hi
    i still had a visa electron card with barclays till last year and im 25.it only stopped because i changed banks.if you ask them for a basic account this is what they give you.:o
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh lloyds tsb do a visa debit card
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Lara
    Lara Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My visa electron card is via Woolwich.
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers. I hope the following is useful to someone:

1. VISA Electron and VISE Delta are NOT the same - Electron is normally for 'basic' bank accounts for students, and those who can't get a 'full' current account.

2. I rang Lloyds - they don't issue Electron cards anymore

3. I rang A&L - they have agreed to "downgrade" my VISA Delta to an Electron card

4. Both banks tried to tell me that very few places accept VISA Electron, but reading other threads in this forum, I know that this is no longer true

5. If my A&L VISA Electron card arrives, I'll be saving £14 a time on booking flights on Ryanair!!!! Can't wait. Do I get a MoneySavingExpert certificate now??

regards

TT
  • yumzone
    yumzone Posts: 161 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there the cooperative bak offer a visa electron card with there basic bank account :j
    :T Smilings good for you, it releases happy endorphines in your brain and makes your boobs grow bigger :T
    :naughty: Don't worry about the world coming to an end today; it's already tomorrow in Australia! :naughty:
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    paddytt wrote:
    4. Both banks tried to tell me that very few places accept VISA Electron, but reading other threads in this forum, I know that this is no longer true

Correct, I have one and havent had a problem as far as acceptance goes, and when you shop online even if a company doesnt list Electron but dont specifically say that its not accepted, put it through as Visa, usually works fine. (9 times out of 10)
  • paddytt
    paddytt Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    Just an update - I received my new Electron card from A&L, and successfully paid for our Ryanair flights without paying any fee! Saved £12 against the credit card fee that they normally charge!

I feel much better now.

TT
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family