Camping - When did it become so expensive?

Options

Comments

• jeff_chandler
    Options
    Again it all depends on what you want.
    We love camping and recently returned from Devon. The Dawlish Warren site charged us £26 per night inc electric hook up, but the prices were rising as School Holidays were starting.

I phoned a couple of sites in the lakes for August but they were booked up, I asked out of curiosity what the price per night was EHU and was told £43 per night whattttt?
    I phoned a few more in Dorset but most were booked up with a few vacancies at other sites but again almost forty quid per night. Camping does seem expensive but as stated it's all about what floats yer boat.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I find the Lakes very expensive generally, even more than other so-called expensive places like Cornwall.
    There are beautiful places in Snowdonia, for example, that are far cheaper and expenses are cheaper too. The Lake district car parks are a rip off. Also 40p to "spend a penny" in Windermere!

Totally agree. We first went to the Lake District 21 years ago and everything was reasonable. Last visit was 2016. I found a fabulous rental towards the Pennines, much cheaper than the Lakes. Couldn't believe how expensive it had become. We looked for a curry house in Keswick, gobsmacked at the prices, we found one in Penrith, much cheaper.

We were living in Devon at the time, so know what prices can be in a touristy area, but Devon was much cheaper than the Lakes
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stayed at a campsite in the Lake District recently

1 car 2 adults, 2 tents works out at £15 per night per person. The campsite itself was good, amazing views but no hot water for the showers in the morning.

So £75pp for 5 nights but not including travel there or around the lakes or cost of food and activities etc.

Now I have just booked 5 nights in Amsterdam for next month for £95 including flights, transfer and B&B hotel. How? How can it nearly be cheaper to fly and stay somewhere including breakfast than stay in a muddy field in your own tent while sharing a handful of showers and toilets with about 200 others!! I remember the days when camping was £4-7pppn not £15.

People say we should stay at home as it is cheaper?. In value for money terms the UK sucks.

I assume the plane isnt landing outside your house?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My friend has a big tent - living room plus two separate sleeping pods - you can easily stand up inside even if you're over 6' tall.

She recently tried to book on a site and they charge let's say £30/night - but instead of taking the HUGE/big tent her and her friend wanted to simply pitch their two tiny/individual tents on the same pitch side by side ... and the campsite wanted TWO fees of £30 per night "because it's two tents", even though those two tents are smaller than the one HUGE one and even though they'd still be using the same pitch.

That's simply ... bizarre when you think about it.

Singles really get ripped off.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This lovely sunny weather has encouraged a lot of folk to think let's camp in the UK rather than go overseas.

Campsites are finite, what's advertised and available is not immediately expandable, and a sudden spike in demand inevitably puts short term prices up. On top of the wiggle you expect to see with school holidays etc.

Plus it's not all bring your own tackle but the whole concept of "glamping" where you can have the use of a tent, or a yurt, or other accomodation has taken off... Along with the price.

All being well, a nice wet summer will reset the market back to the old school diehard (& or severely frugal & well equipped) campers, at the previous affordable rates, and this two tents on one pitch lark will get stomped on, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Prices went up considerably when sites went from charging per pitch, to charging per person and then charging extra for any add ons. It used to be the fee covered everything you could fit on the pitch, so no extra for pup tents if you had a caravan, two cars, etc., age of children wasnt a factor, and size of tent made no difference?

Even basic sites cost min £30pn for a family of 4 during summer hols now
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Many also charge the same for a grassy pitch without any electric, for you to pitch your tiny £30 2nd hand tent for one person that you got from ebay ... as the chap in the next row of motorhome pitches who's just spent £50k on his new motorhome with all the gizmos and stuff.... and brought his wife and kids and dogs ....

£30 tent, or £50k all singing/dancing fancy motorhome = same price.

I should've bought myself a field when they were cheap :)
    All I'd have needed is a row of buckets and I could've called it an eco-experience and charged a premium :)
  • holidaysforme
    Options
    Have tent camped in the past, but now it's campervan all the way.

A Proper roof over my head and a comfy bed. If I'm going to be paying the increasingly soaring rates for camping, then I want to have a solid roof over my head.

Only do weekends away in the UK. It's Europe all the way for us. Better facilities prices, and a general all round better experience.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    She recently tried to book on a site and they charge let's say £30/night - but instead of taking the HUGE/big tent her and her friend wanted to simply pitch their two tiny/individual tents on the same pitch side by side ... and the campsite wanted TWO fees of £30 per night "because it's two tents", even though those two tents are smaller than the one HUGE one and even though they'd still be using the same pitch.

The campsite we use has three prices for different sizes of tents - that seems very fair.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

If you visit https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk

You can search for campsites across this country & Europe. There are also reviews from people who have stayed there.

There are also forums where you can ask questions.

Cheers

Jen
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport