Camping - When did it become so expensive?

Options
1235»

Comments

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    http://gwynant.com/campsite/rates/
    That one. It's £10 a night but you get it for £9 a night if you stay for 5 nights.
    It's in a lovely place, quite isolated tho (take lots of food as there's nowhere nearby to shop cheaply) & I went in August, so it was busy with school holidays.
    It might be a bit quieter in term time. There's also some kayaks to hire for going onto the lake. It's great for families, but I prefer quieter, smaller campsites.

I went with 3 adult friends (3tents) & we each payed £45, so cheap for one person but adds up for a family.

So £27pn for the 3 of you. Not that cheap then.

A family of 4 would cost a minimum of £34pn. £38pn on a bank holiday. So the going rate for most campsites nowadays
  • Novice_investor101
    Options
    Tbh, I'm a singleton with no kids (or family) so I only ever look at the price for one adult - ie, me...

I like to go for quiet weekends by myself or with my best friend, so anything up to £10 a night is acceptable. Any more than that, less so.
    I can imagine trailing a whole family along can cost more, but I can't see anywhere charging less than about £8pn/pp these days.

When I go to the lakes on my own the whole trip usually costs about £60 with petrol, site fees & a bit of spending money.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I remember camping as a child back in the 50s. Mum, dad and us 3 kids.

Army surplus camouflage bell tent. Sleeping bags arranged around the centre pole. Dad was an officer in the TA so we had lots of tinned army rations, no luxuries. I don't remember much about the campsite but have vague memories of camping in a field of sheep:D

Would hate camping now. With my new knee and dodgy other one if I slept on the ground I would never be able get up:rotfl:

Ps yes I know camping is a lot more glamorous these days but give me a nice comfy bed in a hotel
  • Mickey666
    Mickey666 Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The point I am making is about value for money not a comparison of areas. Amsterdam is one of the worlds great Cities. The point is for £19 pppn including flights, transfers, breakfast and your own room and bathroom in August you can go to Amsterdam. For £15 pppn you can sleep in your own accommodation, no breakfast, no transfers or travel and not even guaranteed hot water in a shower or a free toilet in a field in England. Which is best value?
    Value is subjective.  I've been to Amsterdam a few times but as I generally hate cities even a free holiday there would not be good value for me.
    I really can't understand the point of your post.   Decide for yourself.

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have camped for 44 years, and the majority of our trips have been in Europe. The facilities are modern and well-maintained, the site fees reasonable (usually 17/18 euro a night per pitch) and the sites are usually in lovely places near lakes, rivers, chateaux, and places of historic interest. We gave up on the UK after several bad experiences with loud drunks and unruly children - something we have not come across in Europe. You are usually camped near elderly Dutch, German or Belgian couples, with good manners and consideration for neighbours.

As for a top tip for camping, always have a supply of wetwipes for hot sticky days, and emergency tent 'bathing' if the shower blocks are engaged.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback