MSE News: Martin's reaction to Brexit

Options

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jhoney wrote: »
    And PLEASE don't give FARAGE the foreign office brief!...Or health for that matter. :eek:

Farage isn't even an MP, let alone in government.
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 June 2016 at 3:37PM
    Options
    What I'd really like to know, is what Martin thinks is going to happen to EU citizens who, like me, live, work and own property in the UK.

What will happen to our right to work and own property here? What about our children's university fees?

Any thoughts?

If your child was born here, they are already a citizen? This isnt germany. Where your parents have to be citizens.

And I have heard several people discuss your situation, said it will be part of the treaty negotiations, but as you came here before this happened i expect you will all be able to stay on. After all, we'd rather have you and the taxes you pay, than all the old brits in spain coming back?
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The children born in the UK are likely to be entitled to UK citizenship. Depends on just when they were born as to how they qualify. Even if they missed being born in the UK the ten year rule might well qualify them.

Assuming that BadTemperedCat has resided here for five years BadTemperedCat will already have acquired the permanent right to reside and work here.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    However, what worries me more is that this is just the first lurch on a long slide towards racism, intolerance, and right wing extremism. That we have so many happy to see the country start moving in this direction means that this is also inevitable, I'm afraid.

I think you're underestimating the general public. I've been surprised myself of how many people I know, mostly well educated & well traveled people who show no sign of racist feelings, have voted to leave. It's not as simple as "leave won because everyone hates foreigners".
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Speaking for myself here, I did not vote LEAVE because of immigration. I voted LEAVE because I did not and do not trust the EU, this Country was raped by them in just about every policy, I did not want the risk of us being raped again by the EU.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    It's not as simple as "leave won because everyone hates foreigners".

Perhaps not, but there are massive differences in view on issues such as multi-multiculturalism, women's rights, and the environment between Leave and Remain voters.

Ill-vs-Good.jpg
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • phoenix_w
    phoenix_w Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gadgetmind, if there's anything I've learned from the last general election and this referendum - it's that the pollsters know jack s*** and couldn't predict a impending rainstorm with big grey clouds overhead. That poll you've displayed also fails to put the items into context - I wouldn't know how to answer the feminism question, for example, because whilst I think classical feminism/egalitarianism is a force for good, I think third wave feminism is poisonous and a force for ill. You could say the same for all of the items on that list - multiculturalism, capitalism & the internet are similarly both forces of tremendous good or ill depending on their context.

The only thing I do hope is that this doesn't ruin the relationships with our neighbours on the continent. Whilst I didn't agree with everything the EU stands for, I love the countries and their peoples and still intend to travel to them if they'll let me :-)
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    On the plus side my gold sovereign's had a good night.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    phoenix_w wrote: »
    pollsters know jack s*** and couldn't predict a impending rainstorm with big grey clouds overhead.

This poll doesn't try to predict anything and was done after the referendum.
    That poll you've displayed also fails to put the items into context - I wouldn't know how to answer the feminism question, for example
    Exactly the same question was asked of Leave and Remain voters but very different (and telling) answers were given.

Oh, and you'll notice the percentages don't add up as they could flag "mixed" and vote for both sides.
    The only thing I do hope is that this doesn't ruin the relationships with our neighbours on the continent.
    Yes, a messy divorce but "we'll still be friends", I'm sure.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    And what were the numbers on each issue.

An 80% / 20% split is significant if the numbers were 80,000 to 20,000, but rather less so if they were 8 to 2, and so on.

8 out of 10 cats prefer Wh**kers comes to mind here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure