2017 - Spend less, live more

Options

Comments

• chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 January 2018 at 2:26PM
    Options
    sugar is that the card shop on the corner, opposite the Green? I often drive past it, but have never been in.

An update on progress against my 2018 goals
    Reading - I've read two books. One was from the poundshop and the other was from the library.
    Overdraft - I've set up a standing order to my savings account and at the end of the year, I will pay off a lump sum of my overdraft.
    Tastecard - I was given a free card through work, which I have activated and will be able to save money on eating out.

Spend less
    £5 saved on some make up for my niece. It was her sweet 16 towards the end of last year and whilst I gave her money, I also wanted to get her a little extra gift. I was eyeing up some eyebrow gel and Space NK randomly sent me a voucher.

Live more
    £177 saved on a new handbag. I admit, this was a bit of a naughty purchase, but I have taken the money out of my 'rainy day' account and have set up a standing order to repay over the next few months.

£1189 saved on a course of laser hair removal. I finished my last lot of sessions and was going to hunt a new group0n deal, but I was sent an offer by my old place giving me 8 sessions for £125 (I take the full price with a pinch of salt!!!!).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Impressive chanie! So glad you decided to buy yourself the handbag. I like to think of cost per wear especially for expensive purchases. I'm sure you'll enjoy using you bag over and over again until each use is mere pennies!:D

I don't really understand about overdraft charges (lucky me:)) but wouldn't you save on charges if you paid something off regularly rather than paying off a lump sum at the end of the year? How does it work?
  • chanie
    edited 22 January 2018 at 5:41PM
    Options
    maman wrote: »

I don't really understand about overdraft charges (lucky me:)) but wouldn't you save on charges if you paid something off regularly rather than paying off a lump sum at the end of the year? How does it work?

What I want to do is to pay off a lump sum and reduce my overdraft limit. I asked the bank if they could let me reduce my overdraft limit gradually, but they said the process was the same for applying for a new overdraft, even though the new limit would be lower. This way works better for me. The irony is that I never requested an overdraft in the first place - the bank just gave me one and kept upping the limit.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Chanie,

Yes, it is the card shop on the corner in Camberwell Green.

Can I just point out that you would definitely save money if you pay the money off your overdraft each month, rather than putting the money into your savings account. The interest would be less each month, you would be clearly able to see how much less interest you were paying each month.

I do not know who you bank with, but I believe they are trying to convince you that reducing your overdraft gradually will be difficult, but a quick phone call should take care of reducing it. They can not refuse your request to reduce your overdraft. You are at liberty to reduce it each month by any amount you want to.

Putting the money in a savings account will mean you lose money. Also if you have the money in a savings account you could have a financial situation arise that you have not planned for and end up using the money, leaving your overdraft at the same level.

Having an overdraft is seductive, but every account holder pays for their overdraft. Banks do not want customers to get rid of their overdrafts as it raises lots of revenue for them. Remember they did not do you a favour giving you an overdraft.

I have not had an overdraft for many years and was glad to get rid of the debt.
  • chanie
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestion about my overdraft, I’ll look into it agin.

I’ve joined weightwatchers tonight. Hopefully, it will give me some structure to kick start my weight loss.

I popped into Gap today to see what dregs they had at the end of their sale. The boys t shirts get reduced to about £5, they are good quality and you can get nice ones, even towards the end of the sale. I also found some nice t shirts for DD. All the ones I bought are long sleeved so I got the appropriate sizes for autumn. When I got to the till, I was told they were knocking an extra 20% off sale items, so the rrp was £60 and I paid under £20. I also picked up a denim tote which was £20 down to £8.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Chanie you got some really good bargains in Gap :D
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Those are good bargains chanie, I like Gap stuff too, as you say they are good quality. DH has had some nice tops/jumpers from there as well but we tend to go during the sale or to the outlet shop as don’t want to pay full price. :D
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • chanie
    Options
    I’m currently tucked up in bed with a horrible cold. I’ve dragged myself into work all week and now it’s caught up with me. DS has been coughing all week and now has a temperature. He’s lying on the sofa and OH has taken DD to her swimming lesson, which DS is missing. Last week, OH and DD had a bug, so I guess it’s out turn now.
  • sugarbaby125
    Options
    Chanie,

I hope you get over your cold soon and that your son recovers soon as well. Take care of both of you
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Get well soon. xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure