Smart Meters

Options

Comments

• russervice
    Options
    Criminals xmas presey to see if your @ home ! ..
    .. An online tech reader that can be accessed to see when your not using electricity etc -- thus your home is available to be burgled !
    +++ when supposedly 'all' homes are smartmetered; then charges will just go UP !
    &&& having a energy company call round occasionally, will ensure that somebody checks electricity supplies are not UNSAFE etc
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I very much doubt the last part of that. Look at the ongoing VW/car cheat device debacle. Putting trust in such large companies is foolish in this day and age. And just look at how regulatory bodies (such as FOS after its recent PWC 'restructuring') are being slowly made more useless (see other forums on this very website). I seem to recall the recent revelation that over half of all drinking water is polluted with plastic, something that definitely didnt happen over night. Yet, where were the water companies reporting that over 10 years ago? Answer, not reporting that!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    russervice wrote: »
    Criminals xmas presey to see if your @ home ! ..
    .. An online tech reader that can be accessed to see when your not using electricity etc -- thus your home is available to be burgled !
    +++ when supposedly 'all' homes are smartmetered; then charges will just go UP !
    &&& having a energy company call round occasionally, will ensure that somebody checks electricity supplies are not UNSAFE etc

Hi - welcome to the forum. With respect, a criminal does not need to hack your meter to see if a property is unoccupied. I know of 5 properties nearby where I live that are empty most of the time. Walking down the street, there are no cars outside these properties; some curtains are drawn and lights are off at night. A criminal checking on my electricity usage needs nothing more than a pair of pliers or a 50p plastic meter key to access the outside meter box! Why would he bother hacking into my smart meter even if he had the kit and the skills to do so?

As far as meter safety checks are concerned, these are now based on a supplier's risk assessment which has to be carried out irrespective of the meter type. (Quote from Ofgem: Suppliers should be able to satisfy themselves of their existing obligations under health and safety legislation, which could include a risk-based approach to matters of safety. Our decision is to repeal the two-yearly meter inspection licence conditions in gas and electricity in their entirety. Unquote)

In truth, a smart meter will be safer the present type of meter as smart meters report faults to the supplier. For example, if there is a gas leak at a union or pipe joint after the meter this will be reported as excess usage which would then be investigated (not least, to make sure that there is no theft going on).

All that said, the bigger risk to smart meters and the Grid is a remote cyber attack that takes out many meters in a given geographical area. These types of attack can have devastating effects on the supply network. This risk could be eliminated in its entirety if Government disabled the remote disconnection facility which legal experts now question will ever be used.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 February 2018 at 8:46PM
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

In truth, a smart meter will be safer the present type of meter as smart meters report faults to the supplier. For example, if there is a gas leak at a union or pipe joint after the meter this will be reported as excess usage which would then be investigated (not least, to make sure that there is no theft going on).

I think it is a little more complicated than smart meters being safer than the old kind for reporting faults, i am sure they will be. But concerning human health, that is another issue and surely the primary issue before any other. Here is a quote from one article that questions the idea of safety on human health, one of many written by independent researchers:

"It is striking that the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) called for a moratorium on smart meters (2012) and continues to veto them today.
    Based on their literature reviews and clinical experience, they advised no smart meters should be located in or next to the homes of those with cardiac or neurological conditions, including Parkinson’s or dementia; or electrosensitivity; or cancer.
    Their board wrote to California’s Public Utilities Commission: “guidelines for RF exposure used to justify installation of ‘smart meters’ are based only on thermal effects and are obsolete” – guidelines now under heavy fire from the 224-scientist appeal to the UN (see Part 1).
    The AAEM continues: “Wireless RF radiation … effects accumulate over time which is an important consideration given the chronic nature of exposure to ‘smart meters’. The current medical literature raises credible questions about genetic and cellular effects, hormonal effects … blood / brain barrier damage, and increased risks of certain types of cancers from RF and ELF levels similar to those emitted by ‘smart meters’. Children are placed at particular risk.”"

This is from this article: http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/smart-meter-radiation-and-health-why-are-we-neglecting-non-toxic-alternatives-2/

Here is another article asking questions than need answering from globalresearch:
    : https://www.globalresearch.ca/smart-meter-dangers-the-health-hazards-of-wireless-electromagnetic-radiation-exposure/31891
  • grum322
    Options
    I have been trying to find out how they work. My gas meter is outside well away from the electricity meter and obviously has no electricity supply. The nearest supply is inside behind some expensive fitted furniture and I do not want some paid by results yob of a fitter gouging his way through. Does anyone know if the gas meters work without an electricity supply?
    PS Personally i would not have a smart meter in a million years and all the money saving hype around them is complete and utter !!!!!!!!.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @grum322

Smart Gas meters have a sealed for life battery in them. So when the battery fails (5 to 10 years) the meter is replaced.
  • System
    Options
    grum322 wrote: »
    I have been trying to find out how they work. My gas meter is outside well away from the electricity meter and obviously has no electricity supply. The nearest supply is inside behind some expensive fitted furniture and I do not want some paid by results yob of a fitter gouging his way through. Does anyone know if the gas meters work without an electricity supply?
    PS Personally i would not have a smart meter in a million years and all the money saving hype around them is complete and utter !!!!!!!!.

In years to come, saying ‘no’ may become meaningless. Suppliers have a legal right, and a duty, to replace a meter at the end of its life. Who determines end of life: the supplier. There is nothing to stop them replacing your existing meter with a modern smart meter with the comms hub disabled. As more smart meters are installed, then suppliers will become increasingly reluctant to support older generation meters. I think it is called progress.
  • System
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @grum322

Smart Gas meters have a sealed for life battery in them. So when the battery fails (5 to 10 years) the meter is replaced.

Not according to the Smartme website:

The electricity meter is mains powered but the gas meter is battery powered. The gas meter battery can be replaced by a Smart Meter Installer and is excepted to last the life of the meter, however its life can be greatly reduced heavy communications such as repeated firmware updates.

The smart meter reports battery life back to the DCC.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Hengus
    Well if the battery does last the meter lifetime then the meter will be replaced.
    Nice to know that the batteries can be replaced (I do wonder if it is only for certain models of meter) but it will still involve an installer turning up, turning off the gas, probably removing the meter to gain access (otherwise there is a security flaw potentially).
    It might be cheaper to replace the meter full stop than replace a battery. Especially if the meter has a shorter future lifespan than the new battery.
    Who knows what will really happen when the time comes?
    Given the rollout so far, all bets would be off for a sensible cost effective solution.
  • House_Martin
    Options
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @grum322

No they don t. The battery is a Tadiran Lithium Thionyl Chloride 3.6 v C cell .
    Its accessed behind a couple of cheap plastic pull out seals. Costs £15 for a single battery, much less in bulk
    I personally could change one in 5 minutes flat.Needs a soldering iron though because the + and - pins are soldered on.
    Possibly easier to do it on the bench rather than under some ones stairs because of the soldering on of the two leads.
    Absolutely no reason to junk an expensive Landis and Gyr smart gas meter because of a battery declining in power IMO
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback