Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 2
  • lovelife
    Please could i join this wonderful thread, please could you put me down for 400 for the month. Thank you
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 29th May 10, 12:22 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Day two of this months challenge and already spent 14.32. Mainly on treat bars for the fridge and a pack of fancy biscuits. Did get apples, strawberrys and swede, 2 hovis bread and 4 litres of cordial though! (I'm trying to justify the pack of 5 curly wurlys I bought)

tesco shop due Monday and DS2 is on day 5 of toilet training so hopefully wont need many nappies this month

good luck everyone xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 29th May 10, 12:41 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Since when should you have to justify Curly Wurlys (Frys Turkish Delight is my achilles heel).

Good luck with the toilet training - we're at about the same point with DS3, so I'm not doing any more bulk-buying on nappies (different budget anyway though, so doesn't affect my GC) - will miss the Boots points though - they paid for DHs razors every month at the least.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
  • WelshWoofer
    Just back from shop no 1 of June's budget. Managed to spend 31.25 - very good for me! I did do a fairly big "stock up " shop last week so it was mainly fresh bits and stuff for lunches etc
    I'm aiming for 225 for the month (a 5 week month for me shopping-wise) so I'm off to a fairly good start for once!
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • KITTY
    Not updated signature yet for last month but overspent by about 20.

This month has 5 weekends for me so need to increase budget to compensate. Mrs M could you put me down for 250 please? I think this will be too much but as I'm doing Slimming World (again!) I need to stock up on some items I don't normally carry in my pantry.

Thanks to all for keeping the challenge running smoothly.

Merry Christmas
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 29th May 10, 3:25 PM
    • 5,126 Posts
    • 49,867 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Hoping that the fact that I am away from to-morrow until 9th June I am hoping that I can stay within the budget this month!

Good luck to all

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 29th May 10, 3:34 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi All,

Thanks to pink, MrsM and rosieben for keeping us organised on the right track.

What is that post above mine? EDIT: It has now been removed and my comment does not relate to Marie's post!

First spend of the new month today, chicken from the butchers and some veg so a small total of 8.14. Not bad and my first day yesterday was a NSD so reasonable start.

We've got friends around tonight to enjoy the torture of Eurovision, drink too much and be very rude about the other countries and probably ours too if history teaches me anything!

Been very wet here today and huge temperature drop too. So going to prepare for the musical extravaganza and speak to you all tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Last edited by Spiggle; 30-05-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • ifonlyitwaseasier
    • By ifonlyitwaseasier 29th May 10, 3:37 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 20,347 Thanks
    ifonlyitwaseasier
    please put me down for 85 Thank you

ioiwe
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• franby64
    • By franby64 29th May 10, 3:37 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Hello all

Can't wait for May to be over.. probably looking at @60 overspend which is annoying but I think I did set it a bit too low tbh. I can't do 400 atm - have to be realistic!
    Thank you to Pink-winged, Mrs M and Rosieben for running the thread and please could you put me down for 440 for June.

I'm going to divide it into 4 weekly amounts of 110 (2 eight day weeks in there!), start with a delivery on Tue/Wed of as much as I can that I'll need for the week and top up from the rest. My first A*sa shop looks like @75 inc delivery, leaving 35 for top-ups which I only want to do a couple of times a week at most.
    I'm know I'm only mucking around with my money really but it might focus my shopping a bit.

Have a good month everybody.
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 29th May 10, 4:10 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    Hello. I am back with my tail between my legs! I have been missing for a few months and need to try harder with my food budgeting. I haven't been keeping proper track of my food spends so I hope by coming back on here that I can get myself sorted.

I would like to set my budget for June at 375.00

I hope everyone is well.

I did a shop today in my local supermarket and spent 73.37. This was instead of having a home delivery where I seem to get click happy and was approaching 100 + ! so I gave up with that.

My spend today doesn't seem to include much to make meals with ? so I know i must work on planning menus etc and buying accordinglyl.

I picked up Eat Well Spend Less by Sarah Flower from my local library and its a great read so I have ordered if off amazon (only 5.99 instead of 9.99). This can come from my grocery budget ! and has lots of lovely recipes.

enjoy the bank holiday weekend all

• Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 29th May 10, 4:26 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    What is that post above mine?
    Originally posted by Spiggle
    It was spam, but now that I've deleted it, it looks like you're accusing meanmarie
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Kadeeae
    Just popping in to wish everyone luck for June
  • JayJay14
    Just back from Te$co and have my first June spend of 28.75. It was quite a lot of stuff as I tried to stick to offers and also used my coupons, before offers/coupons it would have been 49.79 so I'm quite happy.

Off to update sig.
  • Zend
    June Grocery Challenge
    Hi, DH does not get paid until Tuesday so I will start the challenge from then. Could you please put me down for 200 again. It is going to be a costly month with several birthdays.
    January spend = 100
    Spent =
    saving =
  • Zend
    June Grocery Challenge
    Hi, DH does not get paid until Tuesday so I will start the challenge from then. Could you please put me down for 200 again as it is going to buy an expensive month with several birthdays. Apologies for this being in red but the XXX computer is playing up
    January spend = 100
    Spent =
    saving =
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 29th May 10, 6:18 PM
    • 16,890 Posts
    • 144,628 Thanks
    JackieO
    Stick me down for 120.00 for June as I was pleased to declare 30.36 left over from May
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 29th May 10, 6:24 PM
    • 4,339 Posts
    • 29,878 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...quiet day today...hm curry for tea but a ready made shop pizza for lunch...oh dear

have done meal plans for next week...its half term for us so a bit more relaxed than usual...going to try for a few days out so need to get picnic stuff in...fingers crossed for nice(ish) weather

tata tessa

ps thank u all for new thread
    onwards and upwards
    • hex2
    • By hex2 29th May 10, 6:33 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Thanks to Pink, Rosie and Mrs M, and everyone else for the support as always. Please put me down for 450 for June

Staying out of the shops is really working but I need to take it further.
    Also the once a month home delivery for pets, bread and essentials, combined with the weekly veg box so there is only milk, fruit, and wine/fags on the co-op drop in list so I ordered a case of wine, and a months worth of tobacco to reduce the risk of impulse buys. Wine n fags come out of DH's budget, but I buy other stuff when I am in so this should help.

I still have a freezer full of chickens
    Last edited by hex2; 29-05-2010 at 6:37 PM.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • looie
    • By looie 29th May 10, 6:45 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    First spend of June of 32.45. I went to Mr T's this morning and then to Mr S's this afternoon.

I received a 4 off a 20 shop mailing last week from Sainsburys but I didn't think I would spend 20 so left it at home ..... I spent 23 but the cashier said to bring my coupon in next time and they would give me the 4 back.

We are now well stocked up, the fridge, freezer and cupboards are all fit to bursting !
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 29th May 10, 7:31 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Already four days in to the June challenge and have had two no spend days. Thursday and today spent a total of 31.88
    Got most items in until Thursday and have meal planned until then as well.
    Have used some more apple out of the freezer for a crumble tomorrow and cooked it today at same time as piece of ham. Can always be heated up in microwave tomorrow.
    Good luck everybody for June.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,906Users online

Martin's Twitter