Naked adsl broadband

Options
High 5 All,

Sky have secretly decided to block my non-Sky modem router.
I have a perfectly good phone service from a nobody.
Origin, I believe used to offer just broadband if that is what you wanted, but not any more.
Dose any one else offer naked ADSL or not cable broadband for close to £7 pcm?

Many thanks

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We don't do naked DSL in this country as a rule so you either have a cable line (Virgin) or you have a phone provider and internet package from BT/Plus/TalkTalk/Sky or whoever.

You could split it up if you really wanted to, internet with somebody and a phone line with somebody else but realistically its cheaper to get them together and most providers insist on this now anyway.

Your post seems to suggest you're with Sky for your internet and somebody else for phone. So you don't have naked ADSL, that's defined as a line with no telephony provision on it.
  • james_smitha
    james_smitha Posts: 397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Neil, Humblest appolagies for my bad wording. What you describe is indeed is what I do. Although not mentioned earlier, I have asked a couple of friends if they have a spare adsl modem to prove that Sky have blocked my Asus ac68 recently, it has up untill Thursday worked perfectly well. Even now it dose not appear faulty. The challenge is a failed server connection
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May 2019 at 12:14PM
    Options
    it has up untill Thursday worked perfectly well. Even now it dose not appear faulty. The challenge is a failed server connection
    Have you tried using a Sky Hub to prove that your internet connection is otherwise working?
  • james_smitha
    Options
    High 5 Chino, Yes I have a black Sky ADSL modem-router for such emergency occasions. Thankfully it stepped up to the mark successfully. I have a loan Netgear modem-router to try out in slightly less than a week's time, we shall see what happens
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So, why don't you use the sky one normally?

Vodofone were doing fibre only for about £21/month a while ago
  • james_smitha
    Options
    AndyPK because my Asus AC-68 appeared visably quicker.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now tv doing FTC broadband plus anytime calls for £25 per month, just switching from EE. Swore I'd never use sky again but price too good to miss.
  • james_smitha
    Options
    nickcc there is nothing wrong with the phone privider that I have
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AndyPK because my Asus AC-68 appeared visably quicker.

I'm led to believe that Sky don't give out the access password for internet access on their modem ,so how did you manage with a third party router/modem? If you have extracted the password somehow, is it possible that Sky have changed it??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    I'm led to believe that Sky don't give out the access password for internet access on their modem ,so how did you manage with a third party router/modem? If you have extracted the password somehow, is it possible that Sky have changed it??

Sky have indeed changed, you can enter a random @SKY dsl user name and random password on initial setup and use a compatible router. The TPLink VR900 seems to work out of the box going off searches.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure