Virgin Media after 15 years of loyalty

Options
Hi all,

Just a bit of advice needed, after being with VM for 15 years I negotiated a fair deal 18 months ago for 100Mbps V6 box with free view , and a phone line which I never use for outgoing calls.

My deal was due to end £41 a month they wanted to up it to £50 per month, I thought I was following all of Martins advice and they were quite happy to arrange disconnection.

Am I missing something? £50 a month for 100M broadband, freeview via V6 and a phone line (which is never used) ... I’m really confused

They made no attempt to keep me after 15years loyal service

Any input or explanation would be appreciated...
After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The phone line is more like a charge for the data line from VM .Data as in BB etc not just a phone .

You are not the only one that VM has said fair enough you can go we dont want your business at that price .
    Or they are calling your bluff and will make a better offer when you pull the plug.

money savers are not loyal customers

BUT where are you going to get 100 meg if moving .
    Freeview is free . they will probably ask for V6 box back .
    Price up alternatives via sticky top of the page .
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2019 at 1:38PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Or they are calling your bluff and will make a better offer when you pull the plug.

money savers are not loyal customers

I know my friend got improved offers after arranging discon, but I really don’t want to lose my email address that I use for absolutely everything. I was so silly to use an ntl address at the time!
    BUT where are you going to get 100 meg if moving .
    Freeview is free . they will probably ask for V6 box back .
    Price up alternatives via sticky top of the page .

Yes, you’re right they’ve asked for the V6 and the 3.0 hub back, I’m fine with that.....

86Meg but I can cope with that... for half the price.

Thanks for your informed answer, I’ll have to have a think, but VM are really playing hard ball this time.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tea_spiller
    Tea_spiller Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Left Virgin media a couple of years ago after many loyal years.
    Opted for Sky & still with them (cancelled TV though), Was on 200mb package with VM - 76mb with sky & can honestly say I have not noticed a difference. (£30pm with anytime plus calls)
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    But thats an * up to *86 meg and depends upon the quality and distance of your BT phone line .

About time you moved to a non ISP email adress .
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    Options
    .......But thats an * up to *86 meg and depends upon the quality and distance of your BT phone line .

About time you moved to a non ISP email adress .

Yes, very true, my mistake 15 years ago! Would you suggest I give in and play chicken, I know the service from fibre ADSL won’t be as good as VM, but to put the price up by £9 a month does seem extreme.

• JJ_Egan
    Options
    Personally i would call their bluff and cancel .
    At worst you can go back in twelve months as a new customer .
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, very true, my mistake 15 years ago! Would you suggest I give in and play chicken, I know the service from fibre ADSL won’t be as good as VM, but to put the price up by £9 a month does seem extreme.

Depends what you mean by "service" The speed from an Openreach FTTC service will be lower than the headline Virgin speed, but the service as you perceive it may be no different. VM trade on higher headline speeds but 1) you may not need 100Mbps and 2) you may not be getting 100Mbps - VM customers can sometimes suffer from local congestion issues and they can take forever to resolve, if at all.

So start off by looking at the speed you actually get, what speed you think you'll need, and the actual speeds estimate for your property for an Openreach based service.
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was with NTL now known as Virgin Media for close to twenty years. Each year I played their game of phoning for a better offer and usually I received it. Last year I paid £24 for 100mbps internet and phone line, after the contract ended they upped the cost to £39.99.

I phoned to cancel and was offered £27 per month, which I declined. A second call offered a deal of £28 per month, a third representative then offered £29 per month (yes the price increased each time!). I called their bluff and opted for NOW TV 36mbps Fab Fibre.

A fourth call from Virgin, after I requested a landline number switch, offered 50mbps and phone for £22 but by this point I'd had enough of the messing around and stuck with NOW TV.

Hang in there and request a cancellation, you should get a few calls and hopefully they will come to a figure you're happy with.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    escapee wrote: »
    I was with NTL now known as Virgin Media for close to twenty years.

Hang in there and request a cancellation, you should get a few calls and hopefully they will come to a figure you're happy with.

I was with NTL, then Virgin for a very long time as well. Had a great deal last year, this year it went up by 300%.

Called them to renegotiate but they weren't going to play ball.

We've now parted company and I have returned their equipment.

Still awaiting a refund from them for the advanced charges.
  • escapee
    escapee Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still awaiting a refund from them for the advanced charges.

I'm in the same boat regarding a refund of advanced charges. Their help page suggests it will be reimbursed in the form of a cheque. We'll see!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure