Tyres - New or Part Worn

Options

Comments

• Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    Tarry wrote: »
    We tend to get part worn tyres as we quite often can not even afford to buy brand new ones.

If you can't afford to buy tyres, you can't afford to run a car. What do you do when you need new brake pads - go hunting through scrapyards?
  • Hotspur
    Hotspur Posts: 528 Forumite
    Options
    A few years ago we (at work) bought part-worn tyres as part of a safety survey and had them examined and tested. A large number failed on safety related matters, repairs, cuts, bulges, nail holes etc., some of which couldn't be seen by the lay person as they were on the interior of the tyre. In addition we worked out that part worn tyres were, in general, poor value for money compared to a new mid range tyre (£'s per 1000 miles)

A new tyre will stop you in a significantly shorter distance, particularly in the wet, and I, like many others, prefer to be safer than take the chance.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Conor wrote: »
    NEVER EVER EVER BUY PART WORN TYRES.

There is no guarantee to their history. They could have had a side impact that's damaged the internal structure and without an X-Ray, you have no way of telling.

Using this logic you should always immediately change all the tyres on any second hand car you buy.

The question is always, why were they removed? It used to be that other countries had more stringent tread depth requirements than the UK (now resolved I believe).

I always put the cheapest new tyres on my ancient Peugeot estate. I don't find lack of grip a problem.
  • big_gay_kirk
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    Using this logic you should always immediately change all the tyres on any second hand car you buy.

what he said....
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what he said....

I did qualify my post after you quoted it because there is a subtle difference between tyres that are in use and ones that have been deliberately removed from a previous vehicle. Having said that I have bought part worns in he past and found them to be Ok.
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    I always put the cheapest new tyres on my ancient Peugeot estate. I don't find lack of grip a problem.

A brave man to admit that, in most motoring forums these days, anyone who admits to buying the cheapy no named brands usually gets flamed.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tyres are only good for 5 years Even if youve only done 50 miles by then!
    The rubber will deteriorate, As will the Transmission Belt! if you buy secondhand, how do you know how old, there is the year on them if you know where to look.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Tyres are only good for 5 years Even if youve only done 50 miles by then!
    The rubber will deteriorate, As will the Transmission Belt! if you buy secondhand, how do you know how old, there is the year on them if you know where to look.

I admit to being enlightened to this not so long ago. I think industry recommendations are 6 years though? Looked at mine and realised one was 14 years old :eek: but the tread was still good and the tyre condition good. Annoyingly the date code on this one was only printed on the inside. Got it as a set of 5 off ebay and I am assuming this was the spare tyre, and the reason I put it on the car is just it looked the best condition of the lot..

My GF had a 10 year old tyre tread separate from the side-wall which wasn't a pleasant experience on the motorway. Problem there though was the car was 10 years old and low mileage so the tyres had never been replaced and never failed an MOT yet they fell apart on the road.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I struggle to understand people scrimping on tyres, I value my life a lot higher than using part worns or budget tyres, then again I pay £110 a corner every 18 months for premium branded tyres.
  • banger9365
    Options
    i think it boils down to how much cash you have.how old car is and how you drive .and what car you have and last how much you value life,you,kidds,wife ect ,it's not money saving it life saving
    i think like dkls premium tyres all the way nothing less and pay about £150 a corner and never replace just one tyre ,two front or two back and if front ones are replaced the new ones go on the back , i normally get two years that way,if i am lucky
    and there changed at 3mm not 1.6 mm
    there or their,one day i might us the right one ,until then tuff

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family