IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Tyres - New or Part Worn

in Motoring
37 replies 48.6K views
124»

Replies

• darichdarich Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    photome wrote: »
    Why is he/she a muppet, there is logic in saying if you cant afford to run/repair/replace then you cant afford to drive.

£45 a corner, £180 for a set is nothing when it comes to the safety of you, your passengers and other road users

Completely agree.
    The "muppet" will be able to drive safely in the knowledge knowing their tyres have never been rallied over a kerb at 100mph in a stolen car.

Sturll on the other hand has no clue what his/her tyres have done, what abuse they've had, potholes they've thumped over but will still put them on their car and drive at 70mph on the motorway.

Call me a muppet too, but I know which car I'd feel safer in.
    :)

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • ah this thread reminds me of the joy of being always right and holier than thou, states i sinecerly aspire to
  • darichdarich Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    love_lifer wrote: »
    ah this thread reminds me of the joy of being always right and holier than thou, states i sinecerly aspire to

It's not really got anything to do with "being always right and holier than thou". It's more a case of pointing out the potential flaws in buying a tyre because damage can be internal. I didn't know a tyre's steel reinforcement could be broken without any damage being visible on the ribber until it happened to my uncle - his tyre wore out in a strip across the tread where the reinforcement had broken. And you could feel it in the car as if that tyre was constantly driving over cat's eyes - a constant thumping that got faster as the car's speed increased.

It may save a few pounds but a saving isn't worth much if you end up in an accident thanks to a tyre blow out caused by damage that occured to the tyre before you bought it. Brand new tyres will not have that damage and are therefore guaranteed to be safer.

You pays your money and takes your chance.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • TarryTarry Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    When I can drive and have my own car, I think I'd always have new tyres :)
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Tarry wrote: »
    When I can drive and have my own car, I think I'd always have new tyres :)
    Technically once you start driving they are no longer new... :confused:;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • TarryTarry Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Good point ;)
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Whilst I totally agree that you have no knowledge of how part worn tyres have been used (or abused) in the past, I personally also hate the thought of driving on 'cheap' new tyres of some unknown make and origin.

Whilst we all cannot afford to put Goodyear, Michelin, Pirelli etc etc on our cars, I only feel truly comfortable having at least 'mid range' tyres from a reputable manufacturer such as UniRoyal, Firestone etc.

I would rather pay the extra £10 or so per wheel over budget tyre prices to get tyres that I know won't fail on me just when I need them most.

Peter
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides