Cheap Travel Money Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• curryisforlife
    Options
    To say I always pay off my credit cards each month in full.
  • nopainnogain_4
    Options
    Before I went on Holiday I bought my euros from M&S and got a good rate so I was happy.
    On my return I was less than happy at the rate offered to exchange my excess euros back to sterling. I felt I was being ripped off.

My solution - I advertised the excess euros to my work colleagues.

The result was it took less than 3 minutes before my works notice board ad was answered.

My colleague got a slightly better rate than M&S offered, I got a much better rate than M&S (or anyone else for that matter) would have given me and I didn't have to travel to M&S to be ripped off. :j
  • Copetribe
    Options
    In Southern Spain am I better off getting local currency from an ATM using my Barclays DEBIT card or my Nationwide CREDIT card ?
  • Stokesy
    Stokesy Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    I'm heading over to Beijing for the Olympics then going straight over to Oz to spend a year backpacking.

I'm going to open up a Nationwide account before I go. Should I get some Chinese currency before I go or just withdraw money once I'm over there?

I'm going to have to work when I'm in Oz so I'll have to open up a bank account over there. I was planning to open an Australian bank account before I go. Can anyone recommend which account to go for as I'm getting pretty confused with all of the different options?

Thanks
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Copetribe wrote: »
    In Southern Spain am I better off getting local currency from an ATM using my Barclays DEBIT card or my Nationwide CREDIT card ?

Actually a very difficult question, as it depends how much you withdraw, whose ATM you withdraw it from and how quickly you pay back the credit card. I really don't fancy doing the maths.

Barclays have a 2.75% exchange loading, Nationwide don't.

If you use a non-Global Alliance ATM Barclays also charge a 2% cash advance fee min £1.50 max £4.50

Nationwide charge a 2.5% cash advance fee, min £3 no max

Nationwide charge interest - I've no idea of the rate, it probably depends on which version of their CC you have.
  • rfburke
    rfburke Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know which bank is best when transferring money between bank accounts in two different countries and currencies. i.e sterling to euro. Or are they much of a muchness?
  • am3n3
    am3n3 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went shopping in Paris last week, and the department stores I went to were using DCE whenever I paid with my credit card (Nationwide). You'd get a choice of GBP or Euro on the card reader, but I always chose to pay in EUR.
  • Happy_Shrimper
    Options
    Decided not to apply for a new card for our hols in Spain after Tesco announced double club card points for foreign transactions this summer - think they did it last year, so on our card thats 2 points for £1 which I believe is like 8% if you take deals minus the 2.75% load, doesn't seem bad - unless someone can tell me otherwise?
  • flibblesan
    flibblesan Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stokesy wrote: »
    I'm heading over to Beijing for the Olympics then going straight over to Oz to spend a year backpacking.

I'm going to open up a Nationwide account before I go. Should I get some Chinese currency before I go or just withdraw money once I'm over there?

There is a limit to the amount of Chinese money you can take into China. My advice would be to use your card to withdraw money out. You can use any Bank of China, HSBC ATM, and some other Chinese banks such as China Construction Bank, Guangdong Development Bank. Just look for the Cirrus or Maestro signs.

All the ATM's that accept Cirrus/Maestro will display in English. You will have to enter the amount you want to withdraw in RMB. Maximum daily limit is 3,000 RMB (about £215 based on bank exchange rates).

3,000 RMB is a LOT of money in China though. I would advise you stick to taking out 500RMB as and when you need it. You will be very surprised how far it takes you.

Enjoy Beijing - it's a great place. I'm off there next week.
  • sujester
    sujester Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Decided not to apply for a new card for our hols in Spain after Tesco announced double club card points for foreign transactions this summer - think they did it last year, so on our card thats 2 points for £1 which I believe is like 8% if you take deals minus the 2.75% load, doesn't seem bad - unless someone can tell me otherwise?

On my Tesco credit card it's normally only 1 point for every £4 spend, so doubled that's equavalent to 2% in deals - so I'm sticking with my Nationwide.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback