Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen

Options

Comments

• chrsfrm
    Options
    Sheils, I agree, especially as Tesco will not tell us much. They say they were spent online BUT the delivery address would be a clue.....if they would tell me that.
  • sheils6
    sheils6 Posts: 15,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    vikingaero wrote: »
    Couldn't someone who is bored and has the time use random letters to create codes similar to theirs?

For example:

XXYH6-AB76XX-YYHDC

And then just randomly change a couple of characters.

I had about 15 with different codes and they were all used at the same time so impossible I would say.
    Mar Wins :- £2 GfK Media

Best Win of 2019 - Forest Holiday :)
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    TESCO are worried:
    The Tesco Clubcard team send out frequent emails to our customers and wanted to make sure you feel comfortable you recognise what is from us, and what could be fraudulent activity.

Here is a quick guide with helpful tips to make sure you are confident the email is from us.

How to identify a genuine Tesco email
    We typically have two main types of emails that we send out. These are Marketing emails and Service emails. Both are explained below:

Emails about our service
    We will never email you asking for your personal or security information. For security purposes we send out a number of emails that remind you of actions that you have recently taken. These include changing your address and telephone number and registering or resetting your My Clubcard Account details.

Emails about our products
    If you have not opted out of receiving marketing emails, we will send you offers about Tesco and Clubcard offers. Please remember we will never email you asking for your personal or security information. Our marketing emails use a similar template (if you have chosen html rather than text only) and have a number of features which should help you confirm its authenticity.

If you would like more information or to read our FAQs, please visit this page where you can see more explanation of what fraudulent activity could be, and an example of our marketing email template.

Either internal as people say, or very good phishing (but only acting on accounts with larger amounts).
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The e mail I got was the best piece of phishing I have seen. It originated from China. I have tried to contact Tesco to alert them but cant find anywhere. I put in dud pass words and I was allowed right into the "Tesco" site when I was asked for name, address date of birth, mothers maiden name, again I put in duds to see what would happen and again I got further in to the site.
  • terra_ferma
    Options
    In my experience phishing accounts for the vast majority of account 'hacking', I've very rarely seen any other reason, like for example viruses. Obviously having employees helping themselves also happens from time to time, and either Tesco are giving the money back because they know something has been going on, or fear bad publicity, I don't know. If it was phishing they wouldn't have to give the money back afaik
  • terra_ferma
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    The e mail I got was the best piece of phishing I have seen. It originated from China. I have tried to contact Tesco to alert them but cant find anywhere. I put in dud pass words and I was allowed right into the "Tesco" site when I was asked for name, address date of birth, mothers maiden name, again I put in duds to see what would happen and again I got further in to the site.

if you follow the link in my post it gives you an email address for reporting it: [EMAIL="phishing@uk.tesco.com"]phishing@uk.tesco.com[/EMAIL]
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sheils6 wrote: »
    It looks to me as if people with large amounts of vouchers have been targeted which would suggest an insider is involved.
    I live in SW Scotland so doubt it is to do with the stores I visit. Tesco are supposed to be investigating with their own Fraud Dept.

How do peeps know where their vouchers were spent there is nothing next to mine to say?
    The same thing has happened to me. No details on my account have been changed, but apparently nearly £300 of vouchers have been spent in Lancashire (I live in Surrey) instore on 4/11/12. I have never been to the place in question.
    The details of where and when they were spent show up in my account on My Account/My Vouchers then scroll down.
    Clubcard Customer Services aren't interested; said it must have been me or a member of my family who spent the vouchers.
    I shall, of course, follow this up and will keep an eye on this thread!
    Would love to hear from anyone else in the same situation.
  • Looking_Out
    Options
    I have also had my Tesco clubcard account hacked and all my vouchers (£176.50) have been printed off and spent in stores that I have never visited myself. I have contacted clubcard to advise them of the situation. Will know something on Wednesday or Thursday this next week. Also called into my local store to tell them to be aware of what is happening. They where not aware this as ever happened or so they say . I also said they should ask for ID when people have printed the vouchers off at home, to which I was told the clubcard is the ID. I am not aware that I have lost my clubcard. So tell everyone to keep an eye on their clubcard account. They have even spent February's points not even received the letter with the points in yet. Ironic isn't it.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did anyone else get an email this afternoon from Tesco Clubcard saying how to spot fake emails from them?

Coincidence?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • CaT_2
    Options
    On the subject of Tesco can anyone give me some advice on my rights regarding purchase of spectacles. I told the receptionist I would like a pair of spectacles the same as the reading one's I already have to enable me to have a spare pair should I lose a pair. (Already done that) I had my eyes tested and was told I needed slightly stronger, I paid in full and when they contacted me picked up my new pair. The person I saw told me to try them to see if he needed to adjust them in any way, they were a good fit but they were blurred. He told me to bring the reading board closer and then I could read clearer, so being stupid and not thinking straight I accepted the glasses and went home. Once home I decided to try them out on my computer, It was too blurred for me to read from the distance I sit from my computer. I went in store and told them the problem they said I would need to make an appointment to see the optician which I did. When I got there she was very matter of fact that she remembered telling me I would not be able to use them for the computer and that she had documented the fact. I said " now hold on" who would buy a spare pair of spectacles if they could not use them in all situations. I went and complained to the store manager who went and spoke with them and came back with the same story but said they were willing to change the lenses and only charge me £30. I paid £60 in the first place and they wanted another £30 to make them useable. I told the manager that I was on a disability pension and could not afford another £30, he said he was sorry but he felt that was a fair offer. Is there anything I can do about this??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure