Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,567
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 February 2013 at 4:31PM
    What I find interesting is that the only people complaining are those losing large amounts, no one is complaining about the odd tenner here and there which makes it look more like someone with access to customer information is carrying out the fraud.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just think how much a full investigation and solution would cost? Perhaps they've made the business decision to just cover the losses at this stage.
  • Most of the people that have written in this forum have only posted one or two messages? Im thinking trolls???
    Saving for a house :T
    Will question every purchase I make!
    :j
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    How do I change my password? I cannot find a way, and there are no instructions on the help page, strange. Do I have to say I've forgotten it?
  • This has literally just happened to me :( I tried to log into my Tesco account last night to find my account no longer exists. I then tried my Clubcard and I just couldn't get in. I have phoned Tesco tonight and had to be extremely persistent. First they wouldn't talk to me because the name I had given them didn't match what they had in front of them. I had already explained to them what had happened the night before. I was then told I would have to put everything in writing (I emailed them this morning but have yet to receive a reply). I then asked them to check the records on the account to see if things had been changed, I was put on hold again and was then advised that there had been suspicious activity on the account and they would now look into this but I still have to write to them. In the meantime I have been told not to use the Clubcard and they will set up a new account. In the meantime I have to wait for Tesco to investigate and I am unsure as to what the outcome will be. Will I get my vouchers back (bearing in mind I wanted to buy some Days Out vouchers for half term next week). :mad:

I have reported to Action Fraud online and would urge anyone who has been a victim of this identity fraud to do the same.

I just hope that Tesco pull their finger out and I get my Clubcard vouchers back in a reasonable time.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pmduk wrote: »
    Just think how much a full investigation and solution would cost? Perhaps they've made the business decision to just cover the losses at this stage.

Bolting the stable after the horse has bolted.

Oh hang on
  • beefinbed wrote: »
    Most of the people that have written in this forum have only posted one or two messages? Im thinking trolls???

By the way I'm not a troll... I just wanted to share my bad experience with the hope of helping others who come across this by them knowing how to deal with it and who to report to.
    Most of the people that have written in this forum have only posted one or two messages? Im thinking trolls???

I am thinking more likely a Tesco cover up!!!!
    I am certainly not a troll and have been a member for a very long time. I think that the reason so many new members have found this thread is that it is quite high up on the google search and people are having problems with Tescos inability to deal with this.

Don't forget that as Tesco's have failed to keep your information safe and secure the ico (the people who deal with the Data Protection Act) will investigate this breach. We have had telephone conversations with them and they are not impressed with Tescos handling of the matter so far. The form is really easy to complete
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/handling.aspx

We have been told we will get our clubcard points will be credited to our new account but not until the next mailing, so will be too late for you Angelnic :(

I had posted the original problem having done a google search and being unable to find anyone else who had been through the same experience - my thought was that if it was fraud (as we suspected) then we wouldn't be the only ones to have had our account hacked and money stolen - and it seems, sadly, that it has happened to a number of other people, all of whom are pretty certain that it is fraud, and not just forgotten passwords or stolen clubcards.

Hopefully Tesco will at some point choose to investigate, as I think clearly somewhere along the line the account data that they hold has been compromised - however, as the police pointed out to us, it is a "relatively small" (to them) amount of money - even though it was a large amount of money for us. We are grateful that Tesco eventually gave us new clubcard details and refunded the vouchers; but it did take quite a bit of time and persistence.
  • molerat wrote: »
    What I find interesting is that the only people complaining are those losing large amounts, no one is complaining about the odd tenner here and there which makes it look more like someone with access to customer information is carrying out the fraud.

I think you have made a really good point here because I bet the majority of people would not know exactly how much is in their account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure