Next Years Flights Cancelled..

Options
Hi,

I have notification from the airline that our flights have now been cancelled and the offer of new flights but from a different airport.

Now, that might not sound too much of a problem but we live on an offshore island and it incurs a lot more travelling costs and overnight accommodation to catch the new flights.

The airline is only offering 40p per mile between the two airports by way of compensation.

Is that all we are entitled to?:mad:

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    are there flights from the existing airport with another airline or on another day that may be suitable?
    If you do not want to accept the flights you can have a refund (irrespective of fare rules)
    schedule change can happen with any airline
  • Merlecollins
    Options
    They are with another airline from another airport 92 miles away.

It's the timing of the extra travel and new flights that will force us to most probably fly to the new airport rather than drive and also will require an extra overnight stay when we return from holiday...

The airline has offered us a full refund but we would still need to book the flights anyway. Its the extra accommodation and link flights that will cost us.. :-(
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The difficulty is that the airline's responsibility begins and ends at the airport that you originally booked, I fully appreciate those who live offshore have many extra costs just to get to the mainland but that regrettably is not the airline's responsibility. If you give us details of the flights, someone might be able to offer you a reasonable alternative and avoid some of the additional costs
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Merle - what needs to be made clear is that the airline cancelled your flight. They have a legal obligation under regulation 261/2004 to re route at your convenience, if necessary with another airline, at their expense. If another airline flies your original route or a suitable alternative, they are obliged to do that. If they refuse, book yourselves and reclaim the difference in fares.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • DrA_Harrogate
    Options
    JP - Does this still apply if the airline cancels months in advance, as seems to have occurred here?
  • Justice13075
    Options
    As I read the legislation it states that no compensation is due if you are given 2 weeks or more notice of a cancellation it doesn't state that if it is more than 2 weeks you cannot have the option of rerouting.
  • JPears
    Options
    Yes, my interpretation is that it is only the compensation element is limited to the 14 days limit. The rerouting obligation on the airline has no limit. Alas some airlines will dress up a cancellation as a re-scheduling.

• Merlecollins
    Options
    Thanks guys.!

The airline has stated they owe me zero compensation due to how much notice theyve given us.

They have offered the alternative flights from another carrier at another airport and said they are only obliged to pay 40pence per mile for the distance between the two airports... im guessing theyre correct?:o

I do note that the HMRC mileage allowance is 45 pence if im splitting hairs.....
  • Justice13075
    Options
    Which airline is this?
  • JPears
    Options
    Merlecollins, as has already been stated, if you provide your full itinery details- dates, route, flight numbers airlines etc we can potential offer more help in looking at alternatives you may be entititled to. Airline are correct, compensation doesn't apply here BUT the airline maybe being economical with truth in terms of your re-routing options.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family