duff laptop battery help please

Options
JamboDP
JamboDP Posts: 41,288 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
My laptop battery has dropped to 0% and will not charge is there anything I can do to restart it, or do I have to buy a new one.

Thanks Dave
I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lithium batteries wont recharge if left to go totally flat.

They are also unstable and are a fire risk. Plug the charger in and out until your bored. Only leaving it plugged in for 20 seconds or so and see if it starts to take a charge.

Dont leave it unattended though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depending on the age of the machine and whether its the original battery it's plausible the rechargeable cells in the battery are exhausted and can't hold any more charge. If that's the case all you can do is replace the battery.

They can only be charged and recharged so many times, the signs of the cells wearing out is the lifespan of the battery between charges decreasing, to a point where it won't charge at all.
  • JamboDP
    Options
    Thank you to both of you, it is the original battery and is at least 5 years old, to buy a new sony battery costs over £200 are the replacement batteries sold on ebay any use or will they damage the laptop.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 10:30AM
    Options
    Chances are the battery has run flat and is too low to take a charge OR (very likely) the power jack socket has become damaged, something which accounts for upwards of 90% of laptop charging issues.
    Lithium batteries wont recharge if left to go totally flat.

They are also unstable and are a fire risk. Plug the charger in and out until your bored. Only leaving it plugged in for 20 seconds or so and see if it starts to take a charge.

Dont leave it unattended though.

With the number of laptop batteries that went up in flames years ago, there are far better safeguards on them now, so the risk is actually minimal. UNLESS you buy cheap non-branded battery packs, in which case imagine one of those exploding "vapes" we often hear about, multiplied by 10 (or more)..
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • JamboDP
    Options
    laptop will work with power plugged in, the battery indicator says '0% available plugged in and charging' but does not charge, the charge indicator does show it charging for about 20 secs when first switched on.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Until you get a new battery I'd shutdown and remove the old battery; And use laptop on mains. Source a replacement from a reputable uk supplier. There are many; this one is just down the road from me;
    http://laptopbattery.co.uk/
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    JamboDP wrote: »
    Thank you to both of you, it is the original battery and is at least 5 years old, to buy a new sony battery costs over £200 are the replacement batteries sold on ebay any use or will they damage the laptop.

£200 :)

What is the part number of the battery and the model number of the laptop?
    Battery part number should be written on the inside of the battery once you remove it.
    Some replacements for Sony batteries need a BIOS or Registry update to bypass a possible whitelist. You could say SONY do it to ensure safety or you might say that they do it to keep the price relatively high.

We'll take a look once you come back...
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Until you get a new battery I'd shutdown and remove the old battery; And use laptop on mains. Source a replacement from a reputable uk supplier. There are many; this one is just down the road from me;
    http://laptopbattery.co.uk/

Most laptops will not power up without a battery.

There are no "reputable suppliers" of laptop batteries, buy from the manufacturer or buy Chinese made fakes, those are your choices.

If someone is retailing non-OEM batteries, then they are fakes and your simply paying 2 or 3 times the price for the same fake you'd buy from China on eBay..

The same very much applies to phones, tablets and even power tools, if it's not genuine it's fake.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • JamboDP
    Options
    battery is VGP-BPS26

laptop SVE151J11M

SONY VAIO
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Most laptops will not power up without a battery.
    Interesting - I obviously haven't seen enough laptops.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure