duff laptop battery help please

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I had the same problem, I've been using my laptop off the mains for the last 2 years because it wasn't worth risking a cheapo battery setting fire to the house. I couldn't find anyone selling kosher Samsung batteries so I assumed they were obsolete.

This thread prompted me to start searching again, and I found out that the type number marked on the battery is not the type number it's known by, so once I searched for the other number I found plenty of suppliers.

The new battery arrived half an hour ago, so I can now unplug without the palaver of shutting down and rebooting. Bliss!
  • JamboDP
    JamboDP Posts: 41,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    WAYT wrote: »
    So is yours subject to recall?

My laptop is eight years old and did the same thing. Rather than trying to fix it, I bought a second hand original battery for a fiver. Job done.

So if all else fails and you want an original, you can do the same: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Sony-Battery-for-VPCEH16EC-VPCEL15EC-VGP-BPL26-VGP-BPS26-VGP-BPS26A-A62-/252402104468

This is claimed to be new and original: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Original-Sony-VGP-BPS26-VGP-BPS26A-VPC-CA-VAIO-VPC-EH-Laptop-Battery-/401343540179

Just ordered a second hand battery from ebay for £25 taken out of a lap top the exact same model as mine, fingers crossed should be OK.

thanks for your help WAYT
    I do it just for fun and whatever I win is a bonus
  • WAYT
    WAYT Posts: 694 Forumite
    Options
    JamboDP wrote: »
    Just ordered a second hand battery from ebay for £25 taken out of a lap top the exact same model as mine, fingers crossed should be OK.

thanks for your help WAYT

I guess the one to which I linked had sold out by the time you clicked through, as that was £19.99.

Otherwise £35 for a genuine original(if original) seems better value.
  • JamboDP
    Options
    It is due mon or tues next week will let you know if it is OK.

cheers Dave
  • JamboDP
    Options
    Battery has arrived today and is working perfect. when fully charged it has 3hrs of use so not been used that much.
  • JamboDP
    Options
    Now I have got a good battery what is the best way to use the laptop, on mains when available and keep battery fully charged and only use battery when no mains, or on battery all time and recharge when required.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JamboDP wrote: »
    Now I have got a good battery what is the best way to use the laptop, on mains when available and keep battery fully charged and only use battery when no mains, or on battery all time and recharge when required.

Modern batteries makes no difference what you do ultimately as all batteries naturally decay and it'll be back in the same state as the start of the thread in five years or so.

The old style Ni-Mh batteries had a "memory" effect and had to be discharged and charged up properly otherwise they'd get "stuck" at a certain charge level but laptop batteries that use this will be the best part of 15 years old by now.

Your Sony laptop doesn't apply here, it'll be a Lithium Ion type, the most efficient. The only real pre-requisite is not to expose them to high temperatures.

Initially I would charge the battery up, run it all the way down and then charge it back up again. After that use it as you wish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure