In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Blurgh , I had wine last night and now I'm miserable. I'm working from tonight so that might be an element too. OH had some weird panic chest tightness last night so I kind of slept with one eye open checking he was alright. Alcohol + rich food. He went of to work and sounds as bight as a button.

He wanted to go out for tea, so he cancelled his OT, told me he booked the Edinburgh hotel, and was planning to book train tickets. On way to restaurant 2nd drink his card was declined. The hotel had taken the money rather than pay on arrival, or something like that. So I advanced him £100 from his next wages and paid for the meal :o

Looking at ticket prices the train is astronomical. coach is 8+ hours. Looked at ticketysplit but I'm a little cautious as not used that before and don't want to turn up in 6 weeks time to be told they don't exist. I need more research.

I have a place at one university in January which I need to decline. I've been nagging for this course for 3 years. I'm a bit nervous at cancelling in case the bigger better course and uni decline me though. I'm hoping their admissions follow a similar time frame and when I get to work there will be information.

Plumber is coming tomorrow :rotfl:
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Oh dear, the trains can be crazily expensive, I’ve just looked myself for York and they were loads, is flying an option?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 October 2019 at 5:07PM
    Options
    I never thought of flying... It would probably take us longer to get to the local airport than the flight ;) I'll have a look though :D
    I was thinking of driving. my little super economy car would get there on £30 worth of fuel. OH wanted to make it an event though :o

1st night done. My mood is a little better.... wine leaving me, but unhealthy eating earlier in the week has given me a lesson in eating clean and without alcohol makes me feel so much brighter. I hope it lasts past Monday :D I been to the gym already, and booked a class for tomorrow afternoon after I get up :D

Plumber here :j:j:j whether he is able to complete all of the jobs is another matter :o
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I've had a couple of busy nights in work.. but positive outcomes. night 3 tonight of 4. I haven't slept well today. maybe as I had made plans for 4pm, or because of a noisy house.

The plumber came again :j :j ( bitter sweet due to noise) he was changing the light switches to chrome ones in the hall. each light / socket is too small by about 5mm so it sinks into the space not sitting on it. Is it the plasterers fault? I don't know but I'm disappointed. 2 steps forward and another back. The upstairs fit but down stairs don't. This means the new wallpaper is now messy. OH said he'll try to make the hole smaller but that will likely damage wallpaper. Guess who then has to buy more. It's sole destroying. I'm so sick of paying so much to live in a dump.

The switch I bought for upstairs outside the bathroom won't work as he put a deep box socket on to buy time. And there is still an old immersion switch which is live with no immersion heater!!. OH has been to busy this week on his other job to do anything. Little things like the sills in the bathroom have badly cut (plumber) tiles below. I'm happy for a wooden beading to add to the sill but that's waiting. the tile trims OH says needing proper cutting are still waiting. nothing ever gets finished off!!! When we get the kitchen done I want a company to come in measure design and complete so I don't have this hassle.

Anyhow, best get some breakfast as work is calling and I need to stop moaning
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    A_Frayed_Knot Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 9:36PM
    Options
    Hi,

sorry to hear of your problem with the light switches/sockets.

Hope this is not a red herring, but my DB bought rims for round his light switches
    for some of his rooms. It's almost like a gel rim which glows in the dark, so if you
    get up in the dark then you know where the light switch is.

I am just wondering if this would fill your small gap, thus saving on time/effort/paper
    and cash :money:

Similar to this - https://www.cyclaireshop.co.uk/for-the-home/accessories-for-the-home/homemate-glow-switch .
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 20 October 2019 at 5:37PM
    Options
    that is a good idea AFK, thank you... it looks good . and no ripping off new wallpaper :)
    I realise (after a good sleep) there are worse things in the world ;) We are very lucky, (that banks have given me a ton of debt :rotfl: )

Last of my 4 shifts tonight. We have been very busy this week. There have been so many literally broken people.. Some able to put back together... and some will take longer.

I back to a study day Tuesday, than a 14hrday Wednesday.. we have training Thursday am.. which means my only day off is Friday, before working all weekend 14hrdays. I don't quite know how that happened, but I'm sure I'll feel miserable about it all on Monday night.

I have £39 for the rest of the month. My pay day is a week on Wednesday. I have dipped into other pots already this month and I don't want to again. I have spent £150 in supermarkets so far. OH may have spent £20 top ups. But £20 of mine was on cups/gifts/housestuff. I'll likely have to go again soon for fresh stuff , but aim to run the freezer down a bit.. we can see what we have now :D
    DD1 should give me £20 each Tuesday, DD2 promised me what she owes, however she borrowed more. and 2 weeks Friday for OH to replace the £100.

Plan is to aim to get away around 3am from work... I have no chance if the previous nights are anything to go by. I need to not sleep tomorrow away. I will sand and undercoat the upstairs door frames if OH doesn't beat me too it :D And I am going to order bathrooms blinds as I want one room finished at least .. on that note DD2 has tidied her room beautifully and you can see the floor :D
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    I had nine months of renovations, but luckily I wasn't staying in the house at the time. Things still got to me though, thinking it would never end.

Had to give myself a good talking to :naughty: and started to focus on one room at a time. That way it looked as if I was getting somewhere . . . at last.

In the end - it wasn't finished but was close, and my mind was made up for me when I received a
    Christmas Card saying "Your 1st Christmas in your New Home" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I was staying with my Mum at the time and the card was from my Mum :eek: so I
    moved in on Christmas Eve :j

I often tell myself I have nothing to moan about when you see others, however after working
    long hours all you want to do is get home to nice place where you can relax instead of starting
    work there as well.

On the good side, is when it is all finished you forget about all the pain and problems you went
    through to get where you are (when finished) :) and your house sounds fab :j with all the work you are putting into it. :beer:
    Focus . . . your bathroom sounds lovely and as you are talking of blinds, I just heard that Ike@
    has or bringing out . . . remote control blinds . . . so I'm off to google them and the £££. I want
    them as I have a bay window and it is a pain bringing down 3 blinds . . . oh the joys.

And I hope the rims are the right size for your switches.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    We've got lovely wood-effect blinds from blinds2go MFD, and if you sign up to their newsletter then you'll get their offers for 10% off, which come through semi-regularly :)
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • chumpy45
    chumpy45 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have so much going on MFD, I am in awe of you manage to balance/juggle everything. We lived through an extension/home renovation a few years ago, so I feel your pain. It does feel at times, like it will never be done. Good luck sorting out the switches :)
    Starting Mortgage 01.08.08 £171,209.24. [STRIKE]01.08.16 £42,418.93[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.02.17 £36,584.00[/STRIKE]; [STRIKE]01.04.17 £34,694.7[/STRIKE]1 [STRIKE][STRIKE]09.06.17 £32,828.89 MFW Target date Sept 2017; :[/STRIKE][/STRIKE]) [STRIKE]06.08.18 £24,769.47[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.18 £23,825.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]22.01.19 £21,990.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE][STRIKE]06.02.19 £21,200[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] [STRIKE]03.03.19 £19,862.93[/STRIKE][STRIKE]01.05.19 £18,509.63[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.08.19 £16,750.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.10.19 £15,400.00[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]01.11.19 £14,700.00[/STRIKE] 01.12.19 £13,956.00 01.02.20 £12,503.61 01.04.20 £10,999.00
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 22 October 2019 at 7:43AM
    Options

I received a Christmas Card saying "Your 1st Christmas in your New Home" :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I was staying with my Mum at the time and the card was from my Mum :eek: so I
    moved in on Christmas Eve :j

Well the quote thing failed.... but laughed at that story :rotfl:

Blinds ordered from Blinds2go... best value and what I liked :Dhttps://www.blinds-2go.co.uk/roller-blinds/17987/summer-meadow-magenta.html

Chumpy I'm sure I sit far too much and contemplate. I'm not as motivated as I used to be and that frustrates me :o

I managed to get to the gym today but I've done little else. I have only had 3 hours sleep post night shift. I'm on a study day tomorrow. I imagine it will be dull as dishwater
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback