In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hall, stairs and landing is such a big job to do, am sure it will look fab when it's finished though. Do you have more projects you hope to have done by Christmas?

That is a lot of night shifts!
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • Moneyfordreams
    Moneyfordreams Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2019 at 2:39PM
    Options
    Hi Cath, Hopefully we will get hold of the plumber in the next week or 2 (not holding my breath :rotfl: ) My work friend has given us a new bathroom towel rail which her plumber had given her and they are not using :D ... we need him to fit the towel rail in the bathroom and radiator back on the hall wall. We will probably ask him to take off the sitting room radiator whilst he's here so we can paper the sitting room. I don't plan on changing/upgrading the radiators as that messes up the flooring and pipe works …. for now at least :o

So hall / landing decor and carpets
    radiators hall bathroom and sitting room
    decorate sitting room. 4mx4m room average height ceiling ( we are in 1920s semi). I did want to replace plate rail with picture rail, but after all of the mess removing the hall one, we can wait for that. We had the log burner fitted last year and after the builder let us down with several half jobs, this summers plasterer finished the side of the chimney breast.

I would really love to get decent glazing in the hall. It has a central door ( which maybe I rushed in to buy last year :o ) Oak with side panel of frosted glass. I has a 1 metre long handle but I haven't been able to find a yale type lock narrow enough :( each side of the door has a 1m wall from floor and 1970s bubble type glazing above. there are 3 glass panels above that completing the feature in a hard wood frame. I know I'm fussy... what I hope would be around £500 would probably be around £2k :o I might get some prices to see. Also 2 new internal doors ( £300 Plus fiiting) delaying on the doors. I'm also getting fed up with plywood flooring to kitchen diner. Sensible me says wait until kitchen fitted , impatient me says throw down cheaper floor.. moderate me says by a rug :)

I only have around £1500 at the mo in the house fund / spare money EF fund. So I need to be cautious. There is no chance I want more credit at this point. I've rewritten my hand written spread sheet and it looks amazing to be able to pay in cash for new kitchen this time next year and only have £4k cc debt and < £100k mortgage.

Bet you are sorry you asked :rotfl:
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I do request weekend nights x2 a month as I get to spend more time with OH as he has fixed weekend nights... funnily enough no-one seems to mind :rotfl: me working for nights at the weekend encourages OH to match me and work an OT ;) plus I get more pay for working w/e and nights (and OHs OT too ) triple whammy :D However the weekends I don't request are often gifted to be by the boss if no-one wants them as he knows our circumstances and I am unlikely to complain :D

It will all change if I sart this uni course in Feb. I'll need weekly study days ? what days.. So I'm in a bit of limbo until then. There may also be vacancies soon with another team within our workplace, hopefully a training role in line with said uni course. If that comes off, that team doesn't work nights... Loads of if and buts for the future. The uni need to interview me and a colleague (to see how many heads we have i'm assured)

MOT today. lovely OH taken it and is waiting with car. Its first MOT so hopefully will pass . £55 at dealers as under warrantee ...

I think I have £200 left for the month after that for general spends and food. We should only need top up shops. I'm eating loads of 0% greek yoghurt and fruit though. I'm aiming for a dry October so I can lose a stone before Xmas. at WW last Thursday I had actually lost a 1lb after m hols :T:T:T
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 11 October 2019 at 3:12PM
    Options
    Having a word dump day :o

We have had heating on each day since return from holiday a couple of hours each day... DD2 is not good at turning it off so we need to reset the timers and its a digital one that's complicated unfortunately. I need to factor in increased gas costs as we pay up front.

Log supply delivered. 30 bags for 2.95 per bag, cheaper in bulk and £2 cheaper than locally individual nets. Hopefully they will last until December. If OH does chop some other wood to go alongside we would maybe get the winter out of them. Half in the shed, the other half in the porch. I felt a bit stuck with always having to ask OH to cut it.... I imagine I'm still going to have to struggle to get him to do it now there is no urgency :o

OH has had a sore knee over the W/E , wallpapering stalled in the hall. I'll crack on with paint stripping tomorrow. He seems to be more mobile today so i'll keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow :D

BB changed to superfast fibre. £7 less per month. I could get half price netfix too but as dd2 pays for that I'm letting that one slide … DD2 is booking her driving test soon. Maybe then I can have some housekeeping ( towards the G & E & W at least :D )

We need to book a vet appointment for the dog. we can't see any little critters on him but he's scratching a lot and yelping. I took him for a walk before ( he pooped 5 x ) I gave him a sausage roll at 5am so now I'm his best friend.

Our mortgage interest was £182 for the month.. I don't know why last months was only £66 . further £6.67 OP sent to round it down .

DD1 has given me a further £20... she says she will give me £20 PW its going to be a long £800 :o

Car passed MOT and got a free valet too :D

I've figured out at last that I can reach a yale type night latch lock above the handle :D
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I haven't felt like exercise this week.. but it's boot camp today. The new programme nearly killed me last week and left me in pain for days (although not as bad as the first time I did it). I've been awake since 3.30.. urgh it will be tough. I paid my monthly gym dues last week and have only been once :( slept well on nights though, everycloud .... :D

We had a lovely roast on Monday pork fillet , was £2.30 YS a week or so ago, then another roast last night.. 6 chicken thighs 86p YS. The pork joint fed 5 of us DD1 and GD came and took root.

We've cracked on with decorating :) :T:T:T OH has done a lovely job and it makes me feel so much better to see some progression. Unfortunately I killed off another heat gun. They don't make then very well do they? Overheat and die far too easily when that's is only purpose. Anyhow Wilkos were good to refund as I had kept the receipt this time. But I still need another and there was none in store. I'll have to try and get one today as OH now up to the staircase with his papering. I felt a bit out of sorts yesterday afternoon and had to take my sister to the airport so gave up after the refund.

Dog has vet appointment this afternoon . I don't know how much that will cost :o we've been lucky not to need many visits. He's itchy and scratchy and yelping. No signs of fleas but has had flea treatment just in case off DD2.

Plumber is coming tonight to fit bathroom radiator and hall radiator :j:j he will remove Living room radiator so I might as well get the paper to get him back quickly to reattach.

Hopefully after todays spends we can settle down for the month. I'm budgeting £500 pcm for future home improvements ( past being on the cc) Wallpaper for the hall was £128, living room <£100. plumber should be less than £50. There is enough in the account for the stairs and landing carpets. Actually I haven't even got to the end of the paragraph without thinking of buying bathroom blinds … :wall:
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 9 October 2019 at 8:28AM
    Options
    I done some calculations on what we have spent in the last 15 months. Just under £28000 :eek: we still need kitchen and windows added to that with future planning.

Boiler change £2650
    Electrician £630
    bathroom first stage and repairs £515
    Bathroom replacement £3505
    Drains £280 + £1720 = £2000
    Kitchen diner £10000
    Joiner £1953 (-280 as in bathroom)
    Tree cutting/stump grinding £670
    Fires £3400
    Roof/facias £1100
    Exterior painting and patio £1250
    hall plasterer £450

= £27843

No wonder I'm up to my eyes in it :eek:

The plan is to continue CC payments £600 pcm until December, snowballing to the 0% end dates.
    from December pay £1000 pcm off ccs (as no further holiday payments, although do have that cash set aside )
    by July / Aug 2020 savings plan matures to pay off my car :T:T:T and then payments to the last 2 cards. And restarting likely final share saving plan to maximum amount.

By end of next year all debt should be under £95k and If I continue to pay mortgage adding the cc payments when they stop, we may scrape to finish around the 5 year point :D
  • Moneyfordreams
    edited 10 October 2019 at 1:54PM
    Options
    I've been feeling out of sorts this week and not made it to the gym. I've prioritised other things as I didn't feel strong enough or bothered enough :D Tummy off which I'm rarely sick. I think I'm immune to most bugs having acclimatised to them. That said I slept from midnight to midday !!! I can't remember a time when I've done that.... I'm in work tonight so I'll treat it as a bonus :D I did have my flu jab Sunday am but I don't think it's related.

OH been chipping away at making our hall nice. He needs to move upstairs now. I've stripped another door frame and skirtings. One and a half frames to go and about a metre and a half of skirtings and picture rails. He can then paint and paper upstairs. He has hidden his talents well. I used to do it all :D

I bought the living room paper yesterday. I think the plan is to strip in there too this week :D.. We certainly know how to make a mess. And its not fun putting it back together. True to form the plumber didn't arrive. If we strip the living room and remove radiator at the start of his visit , we can paper the wall whilst he does the other jobs to rehang before he leaves :D Well that's if we get him here :o I did look at bathroom blinds, but none grab me yet :)

Vets was £53 yesterday. No fleas but really dry skin + blocked anal glands. DD2 says she will go halves when she gets paid :D Dog needs a daily itchy medicine which will take 2-3 weeks to work.

OH pay day tomorrow. Bills account will be replenished and another £300 to our share save :D
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I’m glad the holiday was restful :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Trying not to book Ryan air sale flights :o
    We have a holiday booked... I don't need another :D

Low spends... actually no spends as I'm on nights. :D last one. only an 8 hour shift tonight (8-4am) rather than 11 hours always love a short Sunday night :D

Hopefully I will sleep until around 10am then get up to decorate. Plumber due tomorrow
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I had a big lie in today... I can't believe it midday again :o it would have been better tomorrow as I'm on nights from then. I'm still sitting thinking about moving :D I've spent less as I've not been to boot camp the last 2 weeks

I was knackered b the end of yesterday. Gym , mowed the lawn, I finished stripping the upstairs woodwork and sanded staircase skirtings. OH undercoated staircase when he came home whilst I was with GD at her swimming lesson.

This falls to me/us as DD1 now has the Tuesday chippy job. She gave me the £20 last night as promised, but had taken £30 the day before as Universa1 credts had not gave her any allowance this month again, they have said they will pay her the £400 , just not sure when ... She is cancelling virgin media at last, she has phoned M&$ loans who have frozen interest and payments until April. now she needs to pay a few of the smaller debts off to make this worth her while :o The other problem with her is her ex, GDs daddy seems to be wheedling his way back in again. After the escapades in the summer I am dead against this and he is not welcome in my home. He has been seeing another girl for a year!! then threatened to kill himself when she found out !! ( there's a bit more but best not write those) She says she doesn't like/love him , he just makes things easier with childcare. I don't talk emotions with her (my sister does ) . It is not fair on either of them. She needs to be with someone who makes her feel special, and she feels is special to her. I have said this though :o.

Half term starts next Friday... DD1 has booked OH babysitting this Sunday, me Tuesday, Thursday Friday Tuesday, OH Thursday Friday , me Saturday OH sunday…. not impressed much ..

OH has been doing a job for DD2s friend this week, all week... he told me before he's making £120... for about 30hours work. I feel he has under priced somewhat!! ( sanding and polishing a wooden floor ) I asked him what he was doing with the cash. He said taking me away to Xmas markets somewhere :D He's thinking about Edinburgh.

Half way through the month and I'm thinking I may have to pull my finger out and do some OT. I've done overtime solidly since last November. Last November I had a flat months salary and it was dire. it won't be flat next months as I have 4 full w/e's in and 3 weeks of nights. I'm thinking of not bothering. A colleague put on a group message to swap a shift but I would lose weekend pay so didn't offer. I am doing an extra study day this month and wondering If I can get paid for the hours owed ( on another shift) rather than taking a day off. I have to ask on a good moment :)

We are still waiting on the plumber :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback