In the nick of time

Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Whoop - you've had a bit of a run on getting niggly jobs done there, mfd - fantastic! :j

How are you getting on with the varifocals? My sight is shocking for reading/ close work but my vision for driving and distance is fab. However, because I cannot see hardly anything close without glasses I wear them on my head all the time so they are at hand. My optician has been nagging me to go varifocals - but I'm not yet ready to wear glasses *all* of the time.... in my head I'm not a glasses wearer!!! :rotfl::rotfl:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Yes I know what you mean about the not ready to wear all the time... I was wondering about surgical options last week as I was getting a bit fed up :o I was wearing my readers most of the time to see faces and close work ( stitching people up :eek: ) and was ok for driving. But on my head too... It was night time on the motorway last month I couldn't read the signs properly and I nearly missed my turn off.

I'm still struggling with varifocals TBH, I do wonder if I'm wearing them too soon :o It seems I'm making my sight worse to make it better. I look like a right fool moving my head about to get in focus. Someone said they were great after 2 weeks, so I'm hoping tomorrow it will be magic :D It'll definitely improve my posture :D , they keep getting grubby without me touching them, and I'm feeling pressure behind my ears , even referred pan to the tips of my ears strangely. I might go for another adjustment or just wait and see some more. I do think they are my super shield when I want to avoid eye contact though. Someone in work has annoyed me so I used them as a great excuse to quietly show my annoyance.

A consultant I work with is in mid forties and gone for varifocals. Her optician said younger people adjust better to them.

New Glazing looks fabulous. Even better than I thought. It is Pilkington's burdock. Not my first choice, it was a make do choice as there wasn't a stand out within the range to match our door frosting. I'm pleasantly surprised :D

Stairs, Landing and bedroom carpets ordered :D To be delivered and fitted Wednesday. As OHs former trade and contacts we have chosen good quality, moderate range for around £450 ( £11 per m2 instead of around £20 from him and £30 in the big places )
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have been busy with the home improvements and I expect the new carpets will really transform that space.

Glad your nights have finished, have you got a bit of a break now?
    May 2024 - part 1 - £29,628 part 2 - £24,612 Total - £54,240 42 months to go!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have not got on with variofocals at all. I only needed reading glasses in my 50s & distance glasses in my late 60s. It seems to me that if you are used to reading a lot you don't actually read in a straight line (well that is how it felt). I just keep the distance ones in the car & the reading ones on a cord round my neck. Can't even go up & down stairs with them on.

I have a friend who has had them since his late 20s & he is perfectly fine with them but doesn't seem to have any astigmatism (sp) & I think that may well be the issue as I seem to have a lot! The first time I put glasses on the print semed to climb up to the right & shrink to at least a fifth! The miracle of what the brain can adjust to.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Cath it will be luxury not to have a thread bare bedroom carpet. I'm off a couple of days then long ones Thursday and Friday. Then I'm off for 13 :j:j:j ( i'm likely to ask for OT though next Thursday and Friday :o

Bad memory, I do hope it does get better. It's like a circle of print on a computer screen I can see, but blurred all around. Stairs can be challenging, I read to try not to think about them as normally we wouldn't look at every stair and be more automatic. Time will tell :)

OH back to painting. He spent ages looking for the tin of paint. I had to remind him I used most of it last week. He was shocked it was almost empty ;) I have put a coat of varnish on the lower banister. It looks good. Finishing the top banister is right where OH needs to paint, so I'll have to wait as not to distract him.

Some decluttering done for DD2. We have a lot of charity bags posted. A large bag of clothes have been collected from the doorstep today. I'm sure there will be another soon as I've another pile of my clothes to ready to leave. I need to sort our bedroom out for tomorrows carpet :T:T:T

Both girls have borrowed money again. Its a cycle of doom. DD2 gets paid Friday. DD1 said Thursday for this weeks extras. At least DD1 have spoken to 3 of her creditors now. All very pleasant M&S delayed until April and stopped interest , Barclaycard massively reduced her payment and stopped interest. and Vey stopped interest too. Now she needs to stop spending. She is owed some money from a work thing, and there is another opportunity in the pipeline for her. She sounds positive this week.
    Mortgage restart June 2018 £119950Re mortgage August 19 £110470, … Mortgage November 22 £85600 final 0% CC 3300Home renovations - £65000, mid 2018 - mid 2022
  • Barbeduk
    Barbeduk Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya, just read the last few posts on this thread re varifocals.

If you are not getting on with them it could be due to the fit so definitely get that checked. While you're there, ask them to check the measurements that were taken when the glasses were dispensed as if these are even a bit out it will impact negatively on your vision. There will be two - your pupil distance and pupil height.

Unless you have chosen the absolute cheapest of the cheap lens then there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't get on with them. I have a massive astigmatism and have no problems.

I used to work in an opticians - we had many customers who had never got on with varifocals purchased from the big chains as often the fitting was diabolical.

Anyway, off to read the thread properly now :rotfl::rotfl:
    Make £2020 in 2020 £178.81/£2020
    SPC 13 #51
    Feb Grocery Challenge £4.68/£200
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    Thanks for your input Barbeduk :D I will get checked next week if still troublesome … I did wonder if it's expectation versus reality. I'm expecting perfection :o
  • TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,574 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Moneyfordreams I love reading about your home renovations I'm about to start mine when I get the keys but right now I think there isn't much that needs doing but I'll be like you once you start there's loads that you want to change.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• Moneyfordreams
    Options
    AW Thanks TG :D
    one job always seems to have a knock effect to another :o

My bedroom carpets looks fantastic :j:j:j It was touch and go if OH and I could get it up the stairs, ever the defeatist OH was about to give in when we gave it a final "just do it" phew

I need to get upstairs to do that blinking top banister... its a messy tedious job, scraping off the final layer of black paint, the wire wool wash. Todays the day as I didn't get to it yesterday :o

OH is in work tonight so he will fit the landing and stair carpets tomorrow afternoon whilst I'm working.

I've been quite productive today. I've made a chunky fridge bottom soup with left over chicken and stuffing, Thai green chicken curry for work meals and some red pepper and tomato soup for OH ( I've only told him its tomato as he doesn't know he likes red pepper :D ). I've taken the old carpet and other rubbish to the tip, then did a weekly shop at aldi.

We've also had GD here as she wasn't well this morn.... funny after a dose of calpol her cough is magically gone as with her patience as "its the worst day ever" as we aren't going out.
  • Moneyfordreams
    Options
    I have taken delivery of the itchy dog medication, well oil. We got it from the vets after a £74 visit in early October. Thankfully nothing else was required, however it took forever to work. He started it for his constant itching and yelping (distressing for him) early October and we have only seen its benefits in the last week or 2. Vets said 2 weeks, reality was 5-6 weeks. On line reviews say up to 8 weeks to get a result. Anyhow thankfully vets had run out and I managed to get 2 bottles of 500ml half price with free delivery from amazon for £30 :D . Visually his coat has improved as he's not scratching it off as much. Vets said feed him tuna if any delay in getting it. Funnily enough I read yesterday fish oils were good for ADHD in children too.

OH varnished the banister whilst I was at work yesterday. I have said I would like the spindles painted before the carpet goes down. He has said he will do that today whilst I am at work :D

Both girls should return £210 to me today. DD1 was apologetic when she forgot it yesterday mmmm. We are due to go to a party this Saturday and we don't get out much these day and need the cash returned. We have out little trip to Edinburgh Monday also. Now OH said he was footing that bill.... but reality may get in the way again :o

It's so cold I wonder how much we are going to hammer the G&E this year. We pay up front (due to no-one wanting us with a PAYG smart metre) We are likely to exceed last years November by at least £20 on the gas. Hit £62 already. Last January it was £120 :eek: We are cautious too. I would guess house is heated for 2 hours a morning and 4 hours and evening. Currently there is nearly always someone home.

OH does not pay into his share save in Decembers salary. That'll be £300 extra cash. I will take £200 to go towards the increased bills and give OH the extra £100 ( xmas pressie ;) )

To ensure December's pay is good I've booked in 2 days OT next week after our trip :D My last OT was middle of September so I've had a good rest :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback