MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know

Options

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Neilmat wrote: »
    I placed a takeaway order to pay by cash and saw the surcharge so I included a note in the comments that said " As I am paying cash by accepting this order you agree not to levy the surcharge" and they didn't! Never forget the customer is King . Try it.

The business you dealt with broke the law.
  • Neilmat
    Options
    To keep them legal in future I will reword it to say " by accepting this order you agree not to apply any surcharge irrespective of how I pay" they can decide if they they want my business.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nick_C wrote: »
    I placed a takeaway order to pay by cash and saw the surcharge so I included a note in the comments that said " As I am paying cash by accepting this order you agree not to levy the surcharge" and they didn't! Never forget the customer is King . Try it.
    The business you dealt with broke the law.
    Not if it was a Just Eat-style one-size-fits-all service charge applicable to all payment types (and if it wasn't then why would the poster have needed to demand its removal for a cash transaction?)
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    To keep them legal in future I will reword it to say " by accepting this order you agree not to apply any surcharge irrespective of how I pay" they can decide if they they want my business.

Why not type "By accepting this order you agree not to apply any surcharge and to give me a free Ferrari" and see how you get on ;)
  • Nick_C
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Not if it was a Just Eat-style one-size-fits-all service charge applicable to all payment types (and if it wasn't then why would the poster have needed to demand its removal for a cash transaction?)

A service charge applicable to all transactions regardless of the method of payment is fine.

A surcharge for paying by one or more specific methods of payment is illegal. So is a discount related to the method of payment.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    A service charge applicable to all transactions regardless of the method of payment is fine.
    Indeed, that's the very point I was making!
    A surcharge for paying by one or more specific methods of payment is illegal. So is a discount related to the method of payment.
    Again I agree, so, as I didn't see anything in Neilmat's post that suggested any such differential surcharging or discounting, that's why I was challenging your definitively-expressed assertion that the business broke the law....
  • Nick_C
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    ... Is I didn't see anything in Neilmat's post that suggested any such differential surcharging or discounting, that's why I was challenging your definitively-expressed assertion that the business broke the law....

This : "As I am paying cash by accepting this order you agree not to levy the surcharge"
  • eskbanker
    Options
    This : "As I am paying cash by accepting this order you agree not to levy the surcharge"
    ....and hence my question "if it wasn't [a (legal) surcharge across all payment types] then why would the poster have needed to demand its removal for a cash transaction", i.e. if it was a card-specific surcharge then there wouldn't have been any point in the poster insisting on having the surcharge removed when paying by cash as by definition it wouldn't apply to a cash purchase anyway.

Perhaps we're reading Neilmat's comment to the supplier in different ways - based on his tone I read it as "even though you're planning to surcharge me for any payment types including cash, I'm disputing your right to do this and refusing to go along with it" whereas maybe you're seeing it as "since you offer cash payment with no surcharge I'll take you up on that"?
  • CunningPlan_2
    Options
    I challenged them - on Twitter - and they say that it is '3rd party credit card'' and therefore they can charge. Spoke to AMEX UK and they say this is not correct.
  • juno-eclipse
    Options
    Sorry if this has been covered, so this isn't just shops, it's any company at all? My friend pays his rent via debit card to his letting agent and they charge a fee (we're still working on his budgeting skills :-P) can I tell him that there not allowed to charge this? They don't charge it if you choose to pay by standing order so it's definitely a card fee.

Cheers
    Juno
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family