»

MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: Stay up to date with the latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
Stay updated with our guides: Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights
NEWSFLASH 27/03
MARTINS VIDEO FOR SELF-EMPLOYED * DELAY HOUSE MOVES * EUROSTAR UPDATE

MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
138 replies 23.3K views
MSE_Megan_FMSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 posts
Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Credit Cards
From Saturday you should no longer be charged a fee for opting to pay via credit or debit card - but companies will still be able to add booking or admin fees as long as they also apply to other forms of payment...
Read the full story:
'Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just Eat in the news for adding 50p Service charge to all orders :rotfl:

Cheeky or sneaky you make up your own mind :eek:
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    26.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say 'inevitable'...
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been watching flight prices for this year's holiday - coincidence or not they have increased in price by approx 3 % this week?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    4.2K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are shops allowed to offer a discount for not paying by credit card?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    I foresee a lot of places currently charging a % fee for credit card payments just ceasing to accept them. It’s not as if anyone who has a credit card doesn’t also have a debit card.
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    VT82 wrote: »
    I foresee a lot of places currently charging a % fee for credit card payments just ceasing to accept them. It’s not as if anyone who has a credit card doesn’t also have a debit card.

I can't see that happening at all. A lot of people use CCs to buy things they can't afford. If businesses stop taking CCs, they will lose sales.

Even Aldi and Lidl gave in a while ago and started accepting CCs. The cost of accepting CCs is just another cost of running a business.

It was relatively recently that CC surcharges became legal. I'm glad to see them being made unlawful again.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    153 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    My local Village Hall Social Club charges for payment for beer and crisps etc by Debit Card.
    It is a nonprofit organisation.
    Will they have to stop this practice?
  • Nick_CNick_C Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    REJP wrote: »
    My local Village Hall Social Club charges for payment for beer and crisps etc by Debit Card.
    It is a nonprofit organisation.
    Will they have to stop this practice?

Read the article!
  • T-G-CT-G-C Forumite
    591 posts
    I_luv_cats wrote: »
    Just Eat in the news for adding 50p Service charge to all orders :rotfl:

Cheeky or sneaky you make up your own mind :eek:

I would say it’s both. When a law like this comes into force, it demonstrates the true colours of most companies.

All about the cash - not customers. I’m waiting for Hungry House to update their system and add a flat fee - at the moment cash has no surcharge and online payment does.

This law was due 10 years ago in my opinion, payments via card have boomed since 2000.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • ric3vicric3vic Forumite
    122 posts
    The credit card fee was simply a gouge tactic. Businesses whine about the costs of accepting credit cards, but they rarely talk about how much cheaper it is to have a payment into their account rather than swallow the costs of accepting cash: counting, recording, banking. I look forward to contacting a holiday lets agency in the north east to pay the balance of my holiday and telling them not to add the fee.