I think i need a diary

Options

Comments

• NeverendingDMP
    Options
    So after having a festive skive i have an update.
    Good news
    Flight costs sorted. And will aim to repay over a length of time. I am extremely relieved and cried when i knew :)
    Passport fund now has enough for 1.5 childrens passports in it. This has been some swapping around of monies, being a tight ****, pay a day and managing to get all three pairs of new school shoes in the clarks sale, yipee, then transferring what i had left from the shoe pot.
    9.83 in surveys so far and can cash out at 20.

Other news
    Dh new job is higher paid. He has more money coming it. Our tax credits have been cut to 23 a month till april as we have recieved too much to far this year for what his earnings will be. On paper we are better off once this evens out. This only works however if all the money is in one pot which it isnt. The bill money hes giving me isnt enough if tax credits drops to 23. Aaaargh. Need to think about my options as he is not willing to have a central pot.
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Im being dramatic, ive just had a mess with my spreadsheet, essential bills etc will be covered i just wont be able to put any money in the car insurance xmas pots. Such a pain as i was hoping to do this but also squeeze a few pounds a week from food budget to have the passports saved up by summer. By the looks of the online calculator we will get 100 a month from april again. If i stay very frugal we will be okay again from then.
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looks like he seriously needs to give more towards the bills if possible
    Phone the local super markets to find out when their mark downs are most likely to be found always look at them get what is suitable freeze then meal plan later on in the week or month to incorporate what you bought
    Do you use any reward cards if so don't leave money in there it's not getting interest use it and save that amount

I too budget carefully and gave several categories I use

Ask the children if they have anything they want to sell
    Tell them you will sell it but can you put a percentage towards the wedding and of course the special holiday they will have

Hubby really does need to be on board mine just lets me get on with it and lives with the consequences :rotfl:
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Its true unless we work together we wont ever get anywhere. Ive managed this year by really scrimping, a bit of ppi and a 4 week run off from tax credits when our childcare dropped. Aside from scrimping these are not likely to repeat themself in 2019.
    I attempted the talk again but we are currently not speaking as a result. On paper if we work together and pool our money we should now have about 350-400 a month to spend save fritter etc after money pots have been allocated. This is more than we have had in yearsx In reality he has this and all my wage is allocated and ive got 0 to fritter if i so choose. He does spend all his and include us but in all honestly most of it just gets frittered away as does any money that isnt planned. Head brick wall ....
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Its true unless we work together we wont ever get anywhere. Ive managed this year by really scrimping, a bit of ppi and a 4 week run off from tax credits when our childcare dropped. Aside from scrimping these are not likely to repeat themself in 2019.
    I attempted the talk again but we are currently not speaking as a result. On paper if we work together and pool our money we should now have about 350-400 a month to spend save fritter etc after money pots have been allocated. This is more than we have had in yearsx In reality he has this and all my wage is allocated and ive got 0 to fritter if i so choose. He does spend all his and include us but in all honestly most of it just gets frittered away as does any money that isnt planned. Head brick wall ....

It just seems so unfair:(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Its very naff. I must continue on though and hope that he starts to give a **** sooner rather than later.

My plans are
    Ive signed up to the 1% challenge with an aim of 1000 for passports/spends etc. I will attempt to continue most of the dmp payments as they are unless it gets to hard then i will plead poverty and offer token payments. The one recently sold to pra is in dh name and although we are a unit im fed up of paying his debts so i will shove a cca letter in his face to sign and post of this week. That will save me 17 pounds a month till the paperwork is produced-hopefully it will take ages ha ha.
    I take part in the grocery challenge though not always succesfully. Im going to be stricter if i can with a view to having change out of the 100 a week budget. Other monies will be pounds and pence randomly saved and the dreaded surveys and cashback sites.
    I save 50 into a help to save account and im going to do my upmost to maintain this as its my emergency/future fund and i cant pass up the bonus i will get from it.
    Anyway enough nattering for now. Thanks all
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    do a spread sheet of what comes out of your money and what comes out of his

tell him its unfair as you put in 100 percent of your money and he puts in about ??? of his tell him you cannot manage on that amount and instead of him treating you and the kids you would rather have it for the housekeeping and remind him gently why he can earn more that you - I bet you do most of the child care - why is it that some men think they are still the bread winner they are if they provide

do your spread sheets - Frugaldom has dont a good one for frugal challenge in old style board that is free to down load try that and do one each asking hubby to help fill his in please :) tell him to pay off the debts before you are x years old and the children x (will they be in uni then needing help before you are out of debt etc) just give him the print out or a link and just say can he please do it before the start of the next financial year (plenty of time and will give you a chance to broach the subject) to get my hubby on board I printed off a blank copy of the spreadsheet and started filling it in by hand and kept say what is x12 please he wanted to know what I was doing sulked then I found him filling one in with our JOINT incomes :) now he has handed it to me and told me to get from the bank what I need to have to keep finances straight - now I am 61 and 66 and I have done the budgeting for YEARS think he now knows its not a five min job :) and respects the fact he doenst have to do it he remembered my Dad teaching me how to when I still lived at home

wish I had stuck to it as we were young adults but my thinking is its never too late

Just do what you can in front of him and just ask him to multiply some figures for you - I told mine I was brain dead :)

you will be able to do this DONT pay too much off the debt on a dmp - you have negotiated what you can afford if they think you can afford more they will think it could be regular

Has your interest been frozen if so put extras into a savings account - its only pennies but you might as well have them - then when you have enough you can offer them a ? is it called a full and final to pay it off with a smaller sum

sorry I think I just wrote you an essay - Keep you out of trouble for a bit though :):)
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Think youve got it in one. I always worked full time and then some but earnt a nice amount pre kids. Still worked full time after first then had a massive change after then having twins. Thankfully they now have funded hours so childcare is currently only 300 a month but it has been v hard financially and i took a huge drop in pay to swap to a part time regular hours job - so yes im the childcare person.
    I have spreadsheets galore and leave them out etc. Im not going to back down this time though as i do not have tax credits to fall back on now and im not sure if i went full time i could afford the childcare. I will do eventually though.
    The debts are all interest frozen except one of dh that was never defaulted on and that is 0% till oct 2020. The dmp was manageable and allowed me to squeeze out 50 to help to save but prob isnt now for jan to april. A couple I rounded up to nearest pound when i set them up but i dont overpay any nor do i shout from the rooftops about any extra cash. Im hoping being frugal and not paying the 17 quid to one of his debts will help me along the way till then x
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Happy new year all.
    Promises to myself for 2019 are.
    Plank every day as i have no core and this is meant to help.
    Drink less fizzy pop
    Continue help to save account
    Try my best with grocery and 1% challenge.

Im going to have a look at the frugal year forum and spreadsheet as well as i think it will be interesting to see if i spend the money where i think i do.
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Good morning all. Some positive news. After much argy bargy we are not having a central pot but oh is giving me extra towards bills. I have had a couple of attempts at soa but little fingers keep coming and pressing the phone half way through so its never made it. Must do one though for general feedback.

In other news, ive cancelled asda delivery pass and now intend to focus on aldi shopping whilst playing off the other shops who randomly send me offers to entice me back in. Saving is 6 a month.

Ive cancelled mgage overpayment -was five pounds odd a month. This was automatic with my d debit. Ive now got the option of online overpayments set up though so i can come back to extra payments later in the year.

Im doing dry january as that will save me 6-10 a week. Ill bank some and donate some.

Ive signed up to 1% challenge with a view to saving passport spends etc. Flights to be paid back at a later date. Im at 8 % already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family