Talkmobile PAYG closing down

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ripplyuk wrote: »
    My thinking was that if I took out a contract before the cut off date for payg ending, it might be ok.

You could try, but they appear to have removed the facility to order anything on the website. If you click on sim only or any handset it says "Order now by calling 03333048064".

I wonder if that's a way to cross sell to Vodafone.
    ====
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I was on a contract with Talkmobile. When Vodafone acquired the business there were some tweaks to the existing Talkmobile billing system at the time. My free minutes/data refresh date got moved unilaterally without notification and they charged me 1p less per month!

I assume Vodafone want people in as "new customers" rather than merging legacy systems. That approach probably reduces the chance for something to go wrong, but a clean break is needed with the old systems hence the stitch up of PAYG customers.

I got stictched up a long time ago with an old rechargable calling card where the operator confiscated my credit without notification (I only found out when I tried to use the card). Nothing in the T&Cs allowed for it, but fortunately it was only a few quid. Still leaves a bitter taste though.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got Talkmobile PAYG with about £8 credit left. Does anyone know if I could convert this to a Vodafone pay monthly, and retain the credit?
  • BernardUK
    BernardUK Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 June 2017 at 12:39PM
    Options
    A couple of posters here rightly consider losing credit with Talkmobile is just theft. I topped up my PAYG with £20 quite recently and currently have £29 credit. Their reply to my email to help@talkmobile.co.uk requesting a refund says:
    Please be advised that we don't do refunds in regards to credit on the Accounts, however you can either use the credit till the 31st August, or if you have more than 50 pounds credit, it can be transferred to your Account with Vodafone if you chose to port out to Vodafone.

In the context of sincerely not wanting to move to Vodafone, how can my consumer rights to my own credit be protected? Does Ofcom not have rules about this? What does Martin say?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,280 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When Asda and some others closed a service there was an option of giving the credit ot a charity, maybe this can happen if enough fuss?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • SpanishBlue
    SpanishBlue Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There are several adverts on TV for charities where you can text them a few pounds donation if you wish.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cancer Research

£3
    MOORE to 70200 (closes on 31st July 2018)

£5
    BOBBY to 70200 (closes on 31st June 2018)
    GIVE to 70200 (closes 31st December 2017)

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/terms-and-conditions/text-to-donate#newtexttodonate1

Mind
    Text GIVE to 82772 to give £5

https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/giving-to-mind/other-ways-to-give/text-giving/

Plenty of other opttions if you search Google.
    ====
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    When Asda and some others closed a service there was an option of giving the credit ot a charity, maybe this can happen if enough fuss?
    When "Mobile by Sainsbury's" closed down, they offered a refund by cheque for any credits left.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 June 2017 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Please be advised that we don't do refunds in regards to credit on the Accounts, however you can either use the credit till the 31st August, or if you have more than 50 pounds credit, it can be transferred to your Account with Vodafone if you chose to port out to Vodafone

I'd possibly start by asking them to refer you to the clause in their terms and conditions which were in place at the time you topped up, which they think allows them to legally do this. If they cannot do so, I'd then initiate the formal complaints process which would ultimately involve the regulator.

Alternatively, is a chargeback to the credit/debit card used to top up, an option - that was used when Ovivo went bust. TM aren't going bust, but this is almost more serious because it's possibly verging on fraud IMO - they must surely have known when you topped up that these plans were in place, but took your money anyway knowing that they might decide to stop providing the service you were paying for. I'm no lawyer and am probably wrong, but it's the same ballpark of dishonesty as far as I am concerned.

Confiscating up to £49 credit is really quite serious arrogance.

How about pointing the financial mail (thisismoney) towards the response you received and pointing out that it could be £49 stolen from some customers? It's the kind of story they'd love.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Is it possible to still top up? If so, top up to the £50 mark and problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure