Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so may posters are still doing regular savings, considering that NH&I are doing a 2.2% with minimal withdrawal penalties.

Don't be too surprised. The NSI options tie you up for 3 years and @ 2.2% it may be too long, given that rates are looking as though they are on the way up.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that so may posters are still doing regular savings, considering that NH&I are doing a 2.2% with minimal withdrawal penalties.

Investment Gaurantee Growth bonds are possibly best for those with the full £3000 to invest at the start who then don't think they will need to touch the money for 3 years.
    - its still a far better rate than these 5 year fixed rate ISAs paying 2%

It might suit someone who has just had a regular saver mature and has a lump sum

https://www.nsandi.com/Investment-Guaranteed-Growth-Bonds

Only onsale unti April 10th
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mgarl10024 wrote: »
    Not great.
    If an account is maturing, you can supply details in advance and on maturity you get a free electronic transfer - in the past it has worked fine for me.
    Outside of this, it's trickier. I don't think you can withdraw online as I've had to fill in a form, and there's a charge for electronic withdrawals (free if you'll accept a cheque).
    My experience is that they tend to be very bureaucratic and paper driven which is disappointing given their size.
    Agreed, if you miss the deadline for maturity instructions you have to visit a branch or send a signed letter requesting closure of the account and withdrawal of the funds. Their only nod to technology is accepting a scanned copy of the letter being emailed to them rather than it having to be posted with the pasbook.

On the plus side, I got my cheque very quickly after sending them the closure request letter.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • cosh25
    cosh25 Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2018 at 9:19PM
    Options
    With the update to the Leeds BS online services, I set mine up today. You can now request a withdrawal online, but only via cheque. So if you do miss the deadline for pre logging your maturity instuctions, this is now an option. In the past they always send cheques first class so get them rather quickly. If you use Halifax etc. you can now pay the cheque in via the app so not as tedious as it used to be.

Just as a side note, if you have an online account with them you can also now request internal transfers online and then do the withdrawal this way.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cosh25 wrote: »
    With the update to the Leeds BS online services, I set mine up today. You can now request a withdrawal online, but only via cheque. So if you do miss the deadline for pre logging your maturity instuctions, this is now an option. In the past they always send cheques first class so get them rather quickly. If you use Halifax etc. you can now pay the cheque in via the app so not as tedious as it used to be.

Just as a side note, if you have an online account with them you can also now request internal transfers online and then do the withdrawal this way.

This is good news when I need to withdraw, getting a little worried now though, send both books off with cheques on the 22nd of February, when I called to chase I was told Investment team have backlog of work and they will get to mine, I queried about the sate and it was confirmed it will get back dated to the date on the cheque.

at the moment it does show and I have missed the month of February which is highly annoying as I have had issue 3 for well over a year now...

I hope they stick to their word both via the phone and email...

Lets see, still waiting nearly 10 days have passed, (** I acknowledge the weather may have added some time)

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • schiff
    schiff Posts: 20,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I didn't know that the Chorley RS was no more but found that out in the course of phoning to ask if I can make a 13th payment into my account, which has a £6K balance, before the 23/4 maturity date. I can't.

A letter is coming apparently which may contain some news. They don't seem to have a RS of any kind now which is a bit sad.

But an old folks basic account with 1.35% interest which isn't bad.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I didn't know that the Chorley RS was no more but found that out in the course of phoning to ask if I can make a 13th payment into my account, which has a £6K balance, before the 23/4 maturity date. I can't.

A letter is coming apparently which may contain some news. They don't seem to have a RS of any kind now which is a bit sad.

Just had a look and all of the regular saver are listed on the December 2017 closed accounts list.
    My Chorley festive saver 2.25% matures in October as does my Holmesdale issue 3 2.25% which is being amalgamated with Skipton so that will be 2 regular savers off the list sadly.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • keiran
    keiran Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a quick note that the Leeds regular saver does NOT allow deposits by monthly direct debit (for those of us chasing direct debits re Tesco closing)

I can say so after going through the entire application process :-((
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    schiff wrote: »

I have one of these, Haven't had any information about it closing though...

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    keiran wrote: »
    Just a quick note that the Leeds regular saver does NOT allow deposits by monthly direct debit (for those of us chasing direct debits re Tesco closing)

I can say so after going through the entire application process :-((
    There are very few (possibly only Ecology BS) regular savers on the market at the moment that permit payments by direct debit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure