PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help....My jam won't set

Options

Comments

• sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have invested in a jam thermometer this year as I am clearly too impatient with jam as it never sets first time so I have to re-boil it. However, even when the jam reaches the correct temperature on the thermometer, it doesn't always set! Aargh!

I try the wrinkle test, but it never seems to work! How do I know when the jam is ready?!?

Also, I've tried to reboil the runny jam with pectin added, but it didn't make any difference - any fool-proof ways of thickening jam that's too runny?

Help me please!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Take the jam off the heat once it reaches the correct temperature and then do the wrinkle test aswell.
    You need to have a cold saucer for it to really work properly.
    If the jam doesnt wrinkle up after a moment or two of waiting, stick the pan back on for another 5 minutes and then retest.
    Repeat till you see it wrinkle up when you test it.
  • sm1971
    Options
    Thanks Culpepper
  • coldstreamalways
    Options
    Wrinkle test definitely. OH says I have a "culinary impairment" ie am rubbish at cooking but my jam is ace, after he smashed my sugar thermometer with a rolling pin, I resorted to the wrinkle test and found it is easier and cleaner!!!
  • sm1971
    Options
    Just reboiled some - fingers crossed as I followed your advice - can't wait til it cools enought to see if it's set properly (I'm having a hissy fit if it isn't!)
  • coldstreamalways
    coldstreamalways Posts: 852 Forumite
    edited 4 September 2010 at 9:50AM
    Options
    It always takes at least 10% longer than I think it should to boil so don't be impatient lady!! I also quite like scooping the unwrinkled jam up and tasting it, just for quality assurance you understand!!!

Edited to add, I put a side plate in the fridge for about half an hour and then drop half a teaspoon of jam on there, tip the plate up to let it run down a bit and then push it back up with the spoon.
  • sm1971
    Options
    Thank you both - it worked!! I now have set jam! Hooray!
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Sm

now your jam is ok, i have merged this with a previous thread about unset j am. I am making jam tomorrow for the first time, wish me luck!

thanks
    Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• DogsBody
    DogsBody Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Blackcurrants or redcurrants, that's my answer:)
    Our lad made some strawberry jam with no additives and had to boil it for 45 minutes to get even to 'pouring jam' consistency ;) I made some with about 10% of the strawbs replaced with redcurrants, and bingo, set after about 12 minutes - I prefer to stick to 45% sugar or lower if I can get away with it, so the low pectin fruits really need the help!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My microwaved strawberry jam (made with 50-50 fruit to sugar plus lemon juice) was done a bit too long so you need a knife and fork to eat it....wonder if I could try and melt it a bit to make it more spreadable? Tastes all right, just a bit on the stiff side!
    One life - your life - live it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport