PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    farway, do you prune your goosegogs? I just pruned this years growth down to 4-5 leaves and will open up the centre again in winter and shorten the leaders by a half and the laterals, which I just pruned, to 2 buds. I follow Harry Bakers fertilising programme (almost) I have his fruit book. Feb is growmore 2oz/sq yard plus sulphate of potash 1/2oz/sq yard. I mulch with hm compost but manure would do

The standards are working out fantastically and are developing thicker stems, I hammered iron support rods into the ground as the top can move in the wind. Not one branch has broken. One bush `died` but I left it and one shoot appeared at the bottom, I have steadily trained it up the old stem. It will take another 2 years but will make good
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry things aren't great at the moment Money are you living in one of those small towns where you're not 'local' until you've lived there 20 years?

My hayfever arrived unannounced when I turned forty, I went to the dr as my asthma was bad but it wasn't like normal he said it's your hayfever i said I don't have that he replied you do now :rotfl:

Lunch was a beef and horseradish wrap with salad. Dinner was the last vension steak from the freezer with jacket potato HM coleslaw and salad, it's gotten quite warm so didn't fancy veg. Im hoping the vension suppliers will be back in the farmers market at the start of the season as it's local wild deer from one of the big estates near us and it's always lovely meat, unfortunately the butcher who use to sell it for them left and they had difficulties replacing him, I also miss him as he use to give me great deals :D.

I'm also envious of your gooseberries Kittie I love them but managed to kill mine, the gooseberry caterpillars started it and I finished it :( may check the farmers market on Saturday to see if they have any yet. I was once told in a supermarket that they are an old fashion fruit and people don't want them anymore :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 8:30PM
    Options
    Venison one of my favourites Brambling, I hope your supplier is at the market. If you struggle to get some these folk tend to be pretty decent (for everything not just game) and quite often have good deals. https://www.campbellsmeat.com/venison

Dinner ended up as a real CBA, macaroni mixed with HM tomato/red pepper/chilli soup with some grated cheddar. Simple but tasty and hopefully a lurgy fighter!:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 June 2018 at 8:47PM
    Options
    I had a late breakfast of hash browns, sausages, scrambled eggs and beans.

Evening meal was two hot sausage rolls.

I'm sure I remember a pack of crisps disappearing .... and the final fruit pastille ... and four squares of chocolate too.

EDIT: Oh ... and the last of the choc covered peanuts too,

:)
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Venison one of my favourites Brambling, I hope your supplier is at the market. If you struggle to get some these folk tend to be pretty decent (for everything not just game) and quite often have good deals. https://www.campbellsmeat.com/venison
    Dinner ended up as a real CBA, macaroni mixed with HM tomato/red pepper/chilli soup with some grated cheddar. Simple but tasty and hopefully a lurgy fighter!:)

Thanks for the link Caronc they look to have some good meat :)

Hopefully the chillies in the soup will help to kill the cold :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

Hopefully the chillies in the soup will help to kill the cold :)
    That's the plan;)

PS - Their meat is decent as they supply to lots of hotels etc. round here. I was not so impressed by their pork chops - personal taste too skinny, I like a thick one:rotfl: but their game, haggis, black pudding and beef are excellent :).
  • caronc
    Options
    Struck me that what I was calling a CBA dinner from the point of view of feeding yourself from a :money: and nutrition point of view it wasn't too bad. HM soup with loads of veg used to make it, some carbs and protien/fat in the cheese. If I was still working I'd have been pretty ok with this after a long day and it tasted pretty good too:).
  • Brambling
    Options
    Definitely a good reason to make more room in my freezer Caronc :rotfl: I'm with you on a fat pork chop I've brought some nice ones in Waitrose from their meat counter. I decided a few years back to buy less meat and fish but better quality. Their smoked vension looked good I'm thinking a Christmas treat (sorry for mentioning the C word :rotfl:)

I don't think you can beat a good homemade soup I make vats of vegetable soup for lunch during the winter, as you say cheap, tasty and nutritious and a great way of using LO veg ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Breakfast was beans on toast and I am about to have a bowl of strawberries, flax crackers and cheese for a snack. A green juice, Lunch an allsorts salad, sardines, boiled egg and various salad veg, maybe nuts after. Rhubarb compote later and just granola and milk for tea at 3

I need to make some snack treats so will make sugar-free scones but with egg and milk and add dried fruits and some nuts

soya milk was affecting my stomach, noticed straight away yesterday, always suspected that my tum was allergic to it. I have ordered oat groats and will make oat milk instead, nut milk would mean too many nuts

I need to finish the frozen blackcurrants as the new crop is rapidly ripening, another crumble will be made later, making use of the oven while it is on
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 20 June 2018 at 8:43AM
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Sorry things aren't great at the moment Money are you living in one of those small towns where you're not 'local' until you've lived there 20 years?

Yes - in a word....and translate that into "5th generation local" preferably too (I have read/heard of people boasting they are "5th generation here" - and using it to gain favours too).

...and then there's the language issue (which is the main thing that is difficult here imo).

Definite decision made yesterday to move back to my Home City if I ever get the chance. The question is whether I'll ever have the finances to do so (as housing is so much more expensive there - hence I'm here). Hence the research to see if I can find a way to "bridge the gap". There was an element of "would I or wouldnt I - if I could?" since moving here (there is a lot of nice countryside around here - and very few people using it and that and the cleaner air are advantages) and that's changed to "Most definitely I would if I could".

I don't know that I very feel optimistic about having the chance to do so ever - though I tell myself there was literally no way a single poorly-paid person could manage to buy a starter house in my home city. Logically there wasnt - but The Universe provided one and I took it. So if The Universe can do it once....and I do have premium bonds...LOL

Meanwhile - back at The Ranch and the gardening continues and I've basically built a little "Bubble" mentally speaking around my property and within that Bubble "all is as normal" and I'm not going to indulge in a local habit I've noticed with some people of "look over shoulder and lower voice before speaking - as you never know who is eavesdropping and no-one seems to see a thing wrong with eavesdropping/then complaining about what they've overheard:eek::eek:". I'm used to everyone having a little "mental Politeness Wall" around them and one hasn't heard anything - even if one has iyswim - and you know it's not polite to talk about it anyway if you have.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback