Cheapest Boiler Cover Discussion

Options

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Shoom wrote: »
    Wocester Bosch are offering a free FULL 5 YEAR FREE PARTS & LABOUR WARANTEE on all boilers until the end of August.

That sounds like quite a good deal. Any thoughts?

I suspect that will be conditional on having a full 'service' by a Corgi fitter.

5 years really is a pathetic warrantee IMO, albeit better that many manufacturers.
  • Shoom_2
    Shoom_2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    I suspect that will be conditional on having a full 'service' by a Corgi fitter.

5 years really is a pathetic warantee IMO, albeit better that many manufacturers.

I just had a medium ranged Wocester Bosch Greenstar 30si fitted last week for 1650 including VAT. The Corgi service is 70 quid a year. Pound for pound I challenge you to find me a better deal which includes a full 5 year parts and labour warantee...
  • Cardew
    Options
    I just had a medium ranged Wocester Bosch Greenstar 30si fitted last week for 1650 including VAT. The Corgi service is 70 quid a year. Pound for pound I challenge you to find me a better deal which includes a full 5 year parts and labour warantee...

You asked for thoughts, and I gave you mine!

I wonder why you asked what we thought, when you had already bought one.

If you are happy, that is all that matters.
  • Shoom_2
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    You asked for thoughts, and I gave you mine!

I wonder why you asked what we thought, when you had already bought one.

If you are happy, that is all that matters.

Apologies Cardew. I wanted a constructive opinion on the deal that I got.
    All you said that it was pathetic without offering any constructive comment-hardly helpful?

Why do you think a 5 years parts and labour warantee is pathetic?

Who else offers anything approaching that? I'd like to know.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Apologies Cardew. I wanted a constructive opinion on the deal that I got.
    All you said that it was pathetic without offering any constructive comment-hardly helpful?

Why do you think a 5 years parts and labour warantee is pathetic?

Who else offers anything approaching that? I'd like to know.

I believe there is a 10 year warranty available with one manufacturer - posted on MSE.

However that isn't my point.

If you want constructive criticism, it applies to virtually all boiler manufacturers.

I and plenty of others have 'old fashioned' non-condensing boilers that are over 20 years old and virtually nothing has gone wrong with them, and given the technology involved(or rather lack of it) we will be unlucky if anything does go wrong in the future.

They require minimal maintenance as there are no adjustments required that affect efficiency.

The downside is that they are not particularly efficient.

We are all exhorted to buy new super-efficient condensing boilers at huge expense.

If you don't have your CH system flushed, at a cost of several hundred pounds, the warranty is often void.

These boilers are stuffed full of electronics and parts that are so expensive that out of warranty, it often doesn't make economic sense to repair them.

Look at the exclusions on parts firms like BG have for their servicing contracts.

Plenty of experts reason that 10 years will be a good life expectancy before they are scrapped and a new boiler is required; plenty of evidence that many don't last 10 years.

Unlike cars, electrical appliances etc, where new technology has taken great strides forward, it has gone the other way with CH boilers.

Why shouldn't boiler manufacturers be able to offer, say, a 20 year warranty?

You won't get much sympathy for the above POV from CORGI fitters!!!!
  • philbury
    philbury Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    5 year warranties are the best you're likely to get on this planet. Warranties, in general, suck. So does insurance. The exclusions, excesses, conditions, and the hassle of dealing with people who are out to dupe you, make the whole thing too much trouble. Better to buy good quality and take a gamble on reliability. The money you save on insurance will pay for any repairs. Modern stuff is pretty reliable. Buildings insurance is necessary but if you claim, the policy costs you much more the next year. That should be illegal!

Whilst in general I'm against people buying so-called 'green' products because as far as the environment is concerned, the impact of manufacturing that product far outweighs any supposed advantage, our condensing boiler is far more efficient than our last one.
  • trader_girl
    Options
    schoom I also have a Worcester Greenstar Condenser Boiler ZWB7.30
    It was fitted 5 years ago.
    We have never had it guarenteed or serviced and never had a problem with it. today i have booked with NPower for their £29.99 , 30 point service if anything needs doing (which is Doubtfu) the money that i could have given to a guarentor over the years will pay for it with some change.
    Its not how far you fall but how high you bounce back that matters
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there any other companies out there who can offer a similar service to homecare 400?? MY RENEWAL is over £50 a month!!!!!!
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    I've had 2 calls today from Scottish & Southern (SSE) offering me boiler and CH system cover for less than what I'm paying BG for - but, my BG cover includes plumbing and drainage cover too - SSE don't offer that because (they say) home insurance includes it.
  • philbury
    philbury Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Seriously though - has anyone had to claim on one of these policies and felt that they had good service?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback