MSE News: Trade-in your iPhone 5 now for max cash

Options
Former_MSE_Becca
Former_MSE_Becca Posts: 250 Forumite
edited 10 September 2013 at 5:57PM in Mobiles
"The price you get for an iPhone could soon plummet, following the announcement of a new model expected this evening..."
Read the full story:

Trade-in your iPhone 5 now for max cash

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• zennith
    zennith Posts: 12,193 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still more than happy with my Nokia 1112

25138986_1.jpg
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    iphone sheep will be ordering
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for £10 to £30 more than the iPhone 5 did. This is different from Apple's previous approach of continuing to sell previous iPhone models at reduced prices.

16GB: £529 for iPhone 5 vs £549 for iPhone 5S - £20 increase
    32GB: £599 for iPhone 5 vs £629 for iPhone 5S - £30 increase
    64GB: £699 for iPhone 5 vs £709 for iPhone 5S - £10 increase

The increased prices for the iPhone 5S could mitigate the iPhone 5's reduction in resale value as a result of its discontinuation.
  • Former_MSE_Becca
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for £10 to £30 more than the iPhone 5 did.

The increased prices for the iPhone 5S could mitigate the iPhone 5's reduction in resale value as a result of its discontinuation.

Thanks NFH, this is interesting - obviously I wrote this story before the iPhone announcement, and we didn't realise the iPhone 5 was being discontinued.

Because of this, those selling the iPhone 5 to upgrade to a 5S will probably be able to fetch more for it on eBay - though obviously there are listing fees and things to consider...

Will anyone be upgrading and trading in their iPhone 5 for the iPhone 5S?

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MSE_Becca wrote: »
    Will anyone be upgrading and trading in their iPhone 5 for the iPhone 5S?

Not me!

The new iPhone will be great for people who play graphic-intensive games and take lots of pictures due to the twice-as-fast CPU (and improved GPU) and improved camera+flash, but that's about the only real benefits over the 5 IMO. iOS is already super smooth on the iPhone 5, so having a CPU that's twice as fast will only benefit the user so much.

The fingerprint sensor will simplify unlocking the phone and buying apps/songs/etc. and also make it more secure, but it's only slightly more convenient than the current passcode solution.

I wonder if iPhone 5 will actually sell well on eBay given their limited availability... it'll be the first time Apple has discontinued an iPhone after only one year.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • mummyroysof3
    Options
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead. Will wait a few weeks then decide what to do about my upgrade as I won't be willing to pay the prices the new ones will be but not sure I want a 4s as its still expensive for an older phone
    Have a Bsc Hons open degree from the Open University 2015 :j:D:eek::T
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead. Will wait a few weeks then decide what to do about my upgrade as I won't be willing to pay the prices the new ones will be but not sure I want a 4s as its still expensive for an older phone

The 5C has slightly improved specs over the 5, so you can kind of still buy a 5. It just looks different :p
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was hoping the iPhone 5 would come down in price so I'm a bit gutted its been discontinued instead.
    It means that those hoping for an iPhone 5 at a reduced price will have to buy secondhand rather than buying new. Maybe Apple's unusual approach here will uphold resale values of the iPhone 5.
  • Jimmyc
    Jimmyc Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    The iPhone 5 is being discontinued and replaced with the iPhone 5S, which will sell for £10 to £30 more than the iPhone 5 did. This is different from Apple's previous approach of continuing to sell previous iPhone models at reduced prices.

16GB: £529 for iPhone 5 vs £549 for iPhone 5S - £20 increase
    32GB: £599 for iPhone 5 vs £629 for iPhone 5S - £30 increase
    64GB: £699 for iPhone 5 vs £709 for iPhone 5S - £10 increase

Price increase might be because the £ is weaker against the $ compared to this time a year ago
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why trade in or sell?

I understood that insurers have noticed large increases in accidental damage to much-loved iPhones just after each new model is announced.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure