MSE News: Trade-in your iPhone 5 now for max cash

Options

Comments

• ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    Options
    Jimmyc wrote: »
    Price increase might be because the £ is weaker against the $ compared to this time a year ago

Nope, that's a logical explanation so i refuse to believe it.

It's because Apple are evil and want to squeeze every last penny out of consumers.

;)
  • NFH
    NFH Posts: 4,373 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jimmyc wrote: »
    Price increase might be because the £ is weaker against the $ compared to this time a year ago
    Given that GBP/USD is indeed 1.5% lower than this time last year, that could explain the 1.5% increase in the 64GB model, and possibly the 3.7% increase in the 16GB model, but not the 5% increase in the 32GB model.

Also don't forget that many of Apple's costs are incurred in CNY and even in GBP (for UK sales), rather than in USD.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    I've only had mine for a fortnight, and didn't pay for it anyway as got a good contract (albeit 2 years, so it'll be antique by the end) - now I know why! So far I love it and am something of an Apple convert, having recently acquired an iPod too. iTunes is still a bit of a mystery, and as for iCloud and iTunes Match... :o.

Only thing about the new phone that I'm envious of is the extended battery life. Still getting used to charging it nearly every day, after my Nokia E61 lasting almost a week.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• NFH
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    Only thing about the new phone that I'm envious of is the extended battery life. Still getting used to charging it nearly every day, after my Nokia E61 lasting almost a week.
    I don't see why people complain about needing to charge a phone every night; you have readily available mains power and are sleeping anyway. The real problem is when you have to charge a phone during the day and find a power source.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    NFH wrote: »
    I don't see why people complain about needing to charge a phone every night; you have readily available mains power and are sleeping anyway. The real problem is when you have to charge a phone during the day and find a power source.

Oops, now you've quoted me there's no point correcting my typo from E61 to E63 (never could remember which was which, i.e. E63/E71).

I don't like leaving things charging when I'm asleep - have read horror stories about fires due to chargers overheating, although I'm sure these are few and far between, so I always put it on a few hours before I go to bed, and it doesn't take long to charge. Not sure how it will be when it's getting older, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Goes without saying re. the needing to charge during the day, which was partly my point about the short battery life. I'm not a heavy user, but when I'm travelling and want to surf the net or play music (although I'm using my iPod for that, even though it means carrying two devices around) it hardly lasts my regular 4 hour journey. I've bought a power pack (so now I'm carrying three things around :(), which allegedly gives an extra two full charges, but if only they had put the new 5S battery in the current spec 5, life would be a lot simpler!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• blueghost
    blueghost Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2013 at 12:57PM
    Options
    traded my 5 in last week for £345 amazon vouchers (can put towards PS4) with fonebank, good thing was you get 2 weeks to send it so just sent now. now only £290 trade in.

i'm sure i could get a bit more on ebay but with fees and more hassle prefer the easy route. used fonebank for my ipad2 last year no problems.

this article should have been written last week really
  • jase.2
    jase.2 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This story is nonsense.

Who is going to buy a tacky 5c with the same features as a 5 for only £60 less?

Apart from teenagers desperate to get different colours the answer is nobody as its the same phone.

So with 5 being removed the intro of 5c will keep values of 5 high as its exactly the same phone aside from the tacky and expensive covers
  • NFH
    Options
    jase.2 wrote: »
    Who is going to buy a tacky 5c with the same features as a 5 for only £60 less?
    Judging by the horrible cases that some people put on their iPhone 5, I don't think a lot of people care about how it looks.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've gone off my beloved 5 a bit now.. I want a 5S! :( Given the fact my 5 is only 5 months old I've got about another 18 months yet :(
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • NFH
    Options
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    I've gone off my beloved 5 a bit now.. I want a 5S! :( Given the fact my 5 is only 5 months old I've got about another 18 months yet :(
    Why wait 18 months? The iPhone 5S goes on sale on 20th September. Any minimum contract for your service does not affect your ability to buy or use another handset.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure