PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I find the landlord of the property next door

Options

Comments

• theartfullodger
    Options
    You do not have to own a property to be landlord (but unlikely).

That the owner has left the address as the property means two probably things
    -a) He's got the wrong sort of mortgage, not buy-2-let - possible he's also fiddling other things (eg tax)
    -b) He's stupid: A bad person/tenant could set up fake ID, then sell or re-mortgage the place: (where's all the mail going to go eh?)

You have a neighbour dispute: Treat it exactly as you would if next door owned the place, follow Citizens advice neighbour dispute process..

It is of course, dear reader, possible next door thinks OP is a nightmare...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try writing a letter addressed to name and address as on Land reg. Hope the tenants pass it on.
    I would be very surprised if the tenants pass anything on.

If a property is purchased as a rental property surely there must be a way of finding out who actually owns it and where they can be contacted?
    There's a better than even chance that the lanlord has arranged for forwarding of his mail by Royal Mail.

But in case not, and in case the tenants open the letter themselves, word it diplomatically........

Did you ever see a letting agents sign when the property was first bought? Approach the agents.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    There's a better than even chance that the lanlord has arranged for forwarding of his mail by Royal Mail.

Seems unlikely it was ever forwarded if landlords have never lived there - besides, longest you can forward is 2 years i think, so would have expired by now.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The estate agent who sold it won't pass their details on to you but you could apple to their better nature and see if they could pass on your letter
  • solentsusie
    Options
    You do not have to own a property to be landlord (but unlikely).

That the owner has left the address as the property means two probably things
    -a) He's got the wrong sort of mortgage, not buy-2-let - possible he's also fiddling other things (eg tax)
    -b) He's stupid: A bad person/tenant could set up fake ID, then sell or re-mortgage the place: (where's all the mail going to go eh?)

You have a neighbour dispute: Treat it exactly as you would if next door owned the place, follow Citizens advice neighbour dispute process..

It is of course, dear reader, possible next door thinks OP is a nightmare...

The owner has NEVER lived at the address, since it was purchased in December 2015 it has been rented, first to prostitutes who were only there a few months and left after being reported by other parties to the police. Environmental Heath were involved due to about 100 black bin bags of rubbish being left in the back garden of the property causing a rat problem. The property was then empty for a couple of months and has now been rented again. No rental agent board was erected so I presume the new tenants were found by other means.

There are the names of two people on the Property Title, a man and a woman, and the NatWest bank is listed as the lender for the mortgage. I suspect then that they don't have a buy-to-let mortgage. It sounds like the owners are probably avoiding something.

I am going to ignore your final comment as it is childish and put there to cause an argument. Grow up.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the tenants are currently unaware of your issues with them, why not knock on the door and tell them you are thinking of erecting a new boundary fence and you will need their landlords permission to take down the old one and for possible temporary access to their land.

If they don't know the landlord you could tell them you would be happy to contact their letting agency for them to save them the trouble. ;)
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I would be very surprised if the tenants pass anything on.

If a property is purchased as a rental property surely there must be a way of finding out who actually owns it and where they can be contacted?

Why?

The landlord does not have to listen to you and your complaints.

If the tenants are committing offences, report them. If not, then nothing you can do.

Some LLs might act, but there's no obligation to
  • need_an_answer
    Options
    OP I think you need to treat these tenants in the same way as you would deal with a homeowner next door in as much as you must take the civil and legal route of reporting to environmental health,maybe crimestoppers or any other relevant council departments.

The fact that the owner of the house has chosen to rent it out does not automatically follow that they are responsible for the tenants they choose to rent to.
    All I can say in cold comfort to you is that the average tenancy is usually shorter than the average period a home owner owns so hopefully your tenants wont be there in years to come.
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I suppose you could put the cat amongst the pigeons by writing an innocent letter to the mortgage company asking them to forward a letter to the landlord as you have concerns about their tenants ...
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are in England then the landlord has no responsibility for how their tenants (mis) behave. Given the high likelihood that mortgage fraud was committed to purchase the property and that the landlords seem to have no issues with the property being used a knocking shop I don't think you will get anywhere if you do manage to track the landlords down. You may need to find another stick with which to beat them.

Did you check, as Dorian 1958 suggested, to see if your council has compulsory landlord registration? Is it possible that the property should be licensed as a HMO for the number of people living in it? Perhaps contact NatWest to expose the potential mortgage fraud.

As for your neighbours keep doing what you're doing with Environmental Health and the police.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure