PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You're all speaking a foreign language! Computers aren't my thing, I'm afraid I would have to buy a new one if this breaks! I do admire you all knowing so much.

How are you getting on without heating Knit Witch? Must be mighty parky.

Bag of clothes ready for the CS, I'll wait until the weekend to take it in.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You're all speaking a foreign language! Computers aren't my thing, I'm afraid I would have to buy a new one if this breaks! I do admire you all knowing so much.

:) Me & my Computer Wizard have knelt on the rug, peering into the bowels of the pooter tower. Capacitors are thingummies with a cross-headed top. If they start to dome upwards, as opposed to being flat-topped, they're on their way out. Not at all sure what they do when they're working properly, but they can go BANG very suddenly and you have a short, sharp fire on the old motherboard.

The CW is a techmeister and not at all afraid to poke screwdrivers into equipment where sane people fear to tread. I credit my 15 year acquaintanceship with him for realising that pooters are more like cars (i.e. many parts are replaceable) rather than some kind of voodoo altar which might work or not work, depending on mysterious forces beyond human ken.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

When it comes to gadgetry I am lucky that Dr Warlock is a Geek and prepared to be hands on (oo'er missus!)

We had snow today! Thank what ever you hold sacred for open fires, full log baskets, neighbours with an excess of smokeless fuel and one small oil filled radiator!

My plans of lots of knitting have come to nought as my hands are too flipping cold :rotfl::rotfl:
    Must use my stash up!
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,961 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Swedish furniture built - just needs doors, but thought we would put the stuff in it before we fixed them.

OH had said he'd kondo books, CDs, vinyl and DVDs - and he has!!:j

One and a bit Swedish CD racks worth have gone - just as well as we have kondoed one CD rack that got flood damaged. Probably about 30 vinyl records have gone and a whole bunch of books. not so many DVDs but I am not complaining.

I have sold a whole load to music magpie - getting about £40 for them (books, CDs and DSs PS vita) and we found a 20 euro note hidden in the books so we are nearly£60 up on it all (ignoring what the whole lot have cost). Another bunch can go to the chazzer - MM didn't want them - and a load of railway books are going to a second hand book store at a heritage steam railway of our acquaintance.

We are getting there - the end is nigh...:T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happily used some more of craft stash up, that must count as kondo-ing? Although I still have the fruits of my labour in the multipurpose room - greetings cards, awaiting relevant birthdays!

The snow is picking up again. We only have about 2cm but live on a very steep hill so I may be taking a snow day tomorrow :D Luckily I only have 2 clients tomorrow and they will manage without me this week if needs be. I'll decide mid- morning, after I have watched a few vehicles in motion :rotfl:

Another confession - I bought a fairly plain but rather nice dark navy top in Sainsbob's 20% off deal last week. Have worn it all day and really like it :D I think it will be very versatile. Not found anything to go out by way of one-in/one-out policy but that could be a job for a snowy morning this week :rotfl:

Keep warm everyone, esp looking at you, Knit Witch!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All - only flurries of snow here at the moment but bitter wind and weather warnings for the next 3days. DH has been chopping logs and kindling in readiness! I volunteer at my local age concern & help people to use their laptops, tablets, phones etc. I always say I'm a user not a techie although I've replaced motherboards etc at home. The main problem people have is there are no instructions in simple language and its no good saying they're on the internet if you don't know how the
    internet works!
    I'll be going there tomorrow weather permitting - I'm still on win 7 at he me and will use it until my PC dies!
    Small kondo's -empty shampoo bottle and decanted the remains of a body cream into a pump bottle with some other dregs and gave it a good shake - seems fine and another bottle gone.
    Stay warm and safe all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,009 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh the shame. I came off the phone to my neighbour asking if she wanted anything from Mr T as I had to go and pick up a prescription. Went upstairs to clean my teeth, came down and found that neighbour's husband was clearing my drive........ It should be me doing their's, he's in his late 70s and not in good health. Fortunately we only had a small amount of powdery snow but I felt very guilty.

Some silly idiot tried to kondo my car at a roundabout on the way to the shop. I was going across so was in the middle of 3 lanes, a car came out of nowhere from my right hand side turning left across in front of me. I can do without an accident, I'm changing insurer on Saturday. Previous one put up my premium £31 because of OH's no-fault accident claim on a different policy in a different car, that was fully recovered. I've never claimed in the 10 years I've been with them. I've been meaning to check the premium, I've got a better deal elsewhere (£64 cheaper than the new premium) with lower excesses. Silly company, there was no effort to stop me cancelling when I phoned them, although they have tried contacting me since!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• GreyQueen
    Options
    :) Just made up a bagful of Stuff for the chazzer, things which either weren't quite right and have been replaced with better things, or things no longer in use. All things which cost me little or nothing originally, so not out of pocket, but will be better off to have the space they take up, and several Somebody Elses can get the benefit of them.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Lost a day today feeling ropey. DH's black tie and morning suit due to go tomorrow!
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • GreyQueen
    Options
    catshark88 wrote: »
    Lost a day today feeling ropey. DH's black tie and morning suit due to go tomorrow!
    :( Hope you feel better after a night's sleep.

Have a sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop in respect of the weather, no more snow overnight judging by the cars outside, but sky looks like it holds plenty more. I shall hang fire on delivering the chazzer bag as I'm using walking poles and want both hands free (my work stuff is in a rucksack with no room for the chazzer items). I expect they're experiencing a bit of a drought in customers as well as donations, I'll get the stuff up there in the next few days.

One of the things I'm discarding had an element of the textile nature which I didn't use but which was laundered and stashed in the linen cupboard. In process of truffling for that in said cupboard (which is 20 inches wide and floor-to-ceiling) I recognised I am SABLE for towels and probably SABLE for bedsheets. Or at least nearly-SABLE. The current excess of sheets are not donateable as are all well-used and many are sides-to-middled but I am concentrating the wear on one at a time, same as with teatowels, with the aim of using up and getting rid as rags.

:o Must-not-buy-more-towels. Even excellent ones at £1 each in the chazzer.

Memo to self:

1. If you don't need it, it ain't a bargain.
    2. If you've nowhere to keep it, it's a nuisance not a bargain.
    3. If you've bought it under points 1 and 2, you've deprived someone who really needed it of a chance to have it and are officially a Greedy Mare.

Onwards! Have a good day, everyone.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills