Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    "I'll phone the police."
    And did he?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    And did he?

If he did, then they didn't take much notice of him because, over 5 years later, I'm still waiting to hear from them. :D
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's difficult to tell, sometimes, when TVL staff (and other similarly weakly-authorised agencies) say these kind of things whether they genuinely believe them (that they could obtain Police assistance in exercising a right of entry that they do not have), or whether they are bluffing.

I'm not sure which is a greater indictment of their (lack of) training.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I think he wanted the police to intervene over the videoing.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'm not sure, but I think he wanted the police to intervene over the videoing.

If TVL aren't training their staff to expect to be videoed, and that (as a general rule) it is perfectly legal, then that's a bit of a problem.

Having said that, a lot of Police & PCSOs don't seem to know that, either.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Having said that, a lot of Police & PCSOs don't seem to know that, either.

That's why I keep a copy of the ACPO guidance, and the appropriate page from the Visiting Procedures, behind my front door.
  • mbmonty
    mbmonty Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It is astonishing how poorly trained the Police are in basic laws, you see them wrongly backing up High Court Enforcement Officers and even Landlords who try to force entry and evict tenants (something that can cost the Landlord £50k).

I saw Police in a couple of TVL Goon videos where they did actually have a warrant, they behaved very reasonably overall.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's why I keep a copy of the ACPO guidance, and the appropriate page from the Visiting Procedures, behind my front door.

Crikey Bob, I really couldn't be bothered with any of that, you do rather seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this.

I never go to the front door with a camera phone: it's normally an Amazon delivery for next door. I might be holding a chef's knife or even, recently coming from out back with my very large and sharp Fiskars splitting maul as I've been preparing for next winter. I'm definitely not one of those women at home during the day who are in danger of being bullied! :D

Anyway, if I did do any videoing I could explain to them the law as my GF has her own security business. Never got her to install a system mind, that's for the rich and paranoid, and some of her clients are very rich and very paranoid!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    that's for the rich and paranoid

As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :)
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As the saying goes, just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. :)

:) Just because I'm holding an axe doesn't mean to say I'm going to take them out at the knees! :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback