PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Silva - he always felt safest there, shopping malls, bars & restaurants all have lots of armed security guards and their national service soldiers all live at home & commute to barracks on buses complete with machine guns!
    Although he was once picked up by cops in New Orleans for walking back to his hotel, and went out for a walk when the Washington Sniper was doing his worst :(
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Floss - I have family by marriage out there - it's a unique place with such lovely warm and generous people. Give you all a chuckle - my 'aunt' came to visit us from Israel with her friend a few years ago. When we went to do some shopping we passed a couple of charity shops (unknown in Israel) I explained what they were and they were amazed at such a good idea! Cue the rest of the holiday trawling multiple CS!! They both went home with more than they came with & now when they visit it's a highlight!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bus trip to Otley this afty in the sleet and snow....bloomin' 'eck it was cold - looked a bit like this after walking about for an hour or so..... :snow_grin

Anyhoo, in the 99p shop I got an M & S safari stylee straight skirt in a sand colour. It has a split at the front and someone has been doing big strides and cracked the stitching - I made sure that the fabric wasn't torn so will just have to get out the trusty sewing machine and do a little repair. I had my eye on this skirt last year in M & S but waited for the sales only for it never to appear in my size. Patience rewarded!!! :)
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good to hear about Israel, hubby would like to take me there on holiday but I have always been a bit reticent.
    Bought two more James Pattison books (Cross series). Still trying to get The Big Bad Wolf and the one after. If I end up will all the others after these two I may have to miss the two books out. Paid £1.50 each, more than I like to but it is for a local hospice.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Good to hear about Israel, hubby would like to take me there on holiday but I have always been a bit reticent.
    Bought two more James Pattison books (Cross series). Still trying to get The Big Bad Wolf and the one after. If I end up will all the others after these two I may have to miss the two books out. Paid £1.50 each, more than I like to but it is for a local hospice.
    I'm reading The Big Bad Wolf right now.

TBH, he's not one of my most favourite authors.
    I feel his books have too much white space, his chapters are too short for me.
  • Gem-gem
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm reading The Big Bad Wolf right now.

TBH, he's not one of my most favourite authors.
    I feel his books have too much white space, his chapters are too short for me.

When I am tired at night I like the short chapters.
    Have just finished one of his standalone books - women of god - it was really good. Totally different to his normal books.
    Started a new author- Vanessa Greene - she has only written three books. Book number six of the year.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:18PM
    Options
    Sounds scarily familiar GQ.
  • lizziebabe
    lizziebabe Posts: 1,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi -

recently I got a lovely black velvet shoulder bag by Kipling for £7 and a pair of black leather gloves for £1.50 :T
  • Gem-gem
    Options
    Hi All,
    Had a fab day going round some very nice charity shops today. Bought: Laura Ashley room scent set £3 - will shuffle away for my aunt for Christmas. A really lovely scarf - birds on it. (Will look for a label later) £1.99 feels like a good quality on. Haven!!!8217;t decided whether I will use it or keep it as a Christmas present.
    Also bought four more books £1.50 each.
    If I was by myself I would have had a bigger rummage around but hubbies pain threshold (shopping) is only so high!
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    When I am tired at night I like the short chapters.
    Have just finished one of his standalone books - women of god - it was really good. Totally different to his normal books.
    Started a new author- Vanessa Greene - she has only written three books. Book number six of the year.
    I do find them handy for reading on the bus when other things/people distract my attention and a more intense book takes more concentration.
    Hi All,
    Had a fab day going round some very nice charity shops today. Bought: Laura Ashley room scent set £3 - will shuffle away for my aunt for Christmas. A really lovely scarf - birds on it. (Will look for a label later) £1.99 feels like a good quality on. Haven!!!8217;t decided whether I will use it or keep it as a Christmas present.
    Also bought four more books £1.50 each.
    If I was by myself I would have had a bigger rummage around but hubbies pain threshold (shopping) is only so high!

Do what I do.
    Go out early and arrange to meet him in the pub. :D

Some good bargains there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills