<<<out of cheese error>>>

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks DIA and mydmp - your comments have really helped :A

Today was spent at the offices of my former employers, and another bunch of flowers (from some of the people who went through the nasty process which is the best feedback ever on how I work) came home with me so I now have three. Good job I have enough vases but so lovely to have such a wealth of pretty fresh flowers.

I cam home via a big stupidmarket and got some RTC 40% off lamb cubes and half priced mooli as the Boy Who Doesn't Eat loves it raw and grated. I thought about just 'having a look' in the £shop next door but we all know this is fatal so I didn't.

The lamb I thought about a curry, but the idea of a good strong flavoured lamb stew was hovering. It is now gently stewing in the oven as Lancashire hotpot. Yum :)

Had a look and couldn't find last nights chicken thing online but its a good fast dinner so:

Easy Quick Pilau
    Dry fry a good handful of flaked almonds and put on one side. Add some oil and a sliced onion to the pan and fry gently for five minutes. Add your cubed protein (I used chicken breasts this time) and let them fry for a few minutes. Add some bite sized veg ( I used peppers and peas this time straight from frozen) and give it a few minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of curry paste (the other half of the home made batch) and stir for a few minutes to coat everything. Tip in 300g of basmati rice, stir and add 900ml of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, add the almonds and a big handful of sultanas, then lid on, low heat for 12 minutes till the chicken is cooked and the liquid is nearly all absorbed. Filling and tasty.

Lamb Hotpot
    Brown the lamb cubes in batches, and tip into a shallow oven proof dish. Add a little flower and mixed herbs to the last batch and cook off the flour. Tip all of the meat into the dish. Squirt of oil in the frying pan, then add a sliced onion and fry gently for a few minutes. I added a splash of vermouth, some Worcestershire sauce and a some stock, let it absorb the flavours then tip the stock and onions over the lamb. Season and tuck in a bay leaf if you have one. Peel and slice your potatoes then layer these on top. I do two layers, one in each direction, squirting with a little oil inbetween. Tightly cover with foil and then put it in a medium oven for a couple of hours. Take the foil lid off and turn it up to 180 half an hour before you want to eat.

OH usually does an onions in vinegar thing to serve with it so I need to track that recipe down next. Otherwise we have broccoli, leeks and carrots so simple enough.
  • Mydmp
    Mydmp Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks DIA and mydmp - your comments have really helped :A

Today was spent at the offices of my former employers, and another bunch of flowers (from some of the people who went through the nasty process which is the best feedback ever on how I work) came home with me so I now have three. Good job I have enough vases but so lovely to have such a wealth of pretty fresh flowers.

I cam home via a big stupidmarket and got some RTC 40% off lamb cubes and half priced mooli as the Boy Who Doesn't Eat loves it raw and grated. I thought about just 'having a look' in the £shop next door but we all know this is fatal so I didn't.

The lamb I thought about a curry, but the idea of a good strong flavoured lamb stew was hovering. It is now gently stewing in the oven as Lancashire hotpot. Yum :)

Had a look and couldn't find last nights chicken thing online but its a good fast dinner so:

Easy Quick Pilau
    Dry fry a good handful of flaked almonds and put on one side. Add some oil and a sliced onion to the pan and fry gently for five minutes. Add your cubed protein (I used chicken breasts this time) and let them fry for a few minutes. Add some bite sized veg ( I used peppers and peas this time straight from frozen) and give it a few minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of curry paste (the other half of the home made batch) and stir for a few minutes to coat everything. Tip in 300g of basmati rice, stir and add 900ml of chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, add the almonds and a big handful of sultanas, then lid on, low heat for 12 minutes till the chicken is cooked and the liquid is nearly all absorbed. Filling and tasty.

Lamb Hotpot
    Brown the lamb cubes in batches, and tip into a shallow oven proof dish. Add a little flower and mixed herbs to the last batch and cook off the flour. Tip all of the meat into the dish. Squirt of oil in the frying pan, then add a sliced onion and fry gently for a few minutes. I added a splash of vermouth, some Worcestershire sauce and a some stock, let it absorb the flavours then tip the stock and onions over the lamb. Season and tuck in a bay leaf if you have one. Peel and slice your potatoes then layer these on top. I do two layers, one in each direction, squirting with a little oil inbetween. Tightly cover with foil and then put it in a medium oven for a couple of hours. Take the foil lid off and turn it up to 180 half an hour before you want to eat.

OH usually does an onions in vinegar thing to serve with it so I need to track that recipe down next. Otherwise we have broccoli, leeks and carrots so simple enough.

Receiving flowers is always a lovely boost, particularly when it's as a thank you for a job well done.

We love lamb but it's one of the few things that I haven't been able to find reduced during my few days of bargain hunting. Might just have to call at supermarket again this evening when I have to nip out to give someone a lift.

Your recipes sound delicious. The rice one is particularly suited to our needs as we are a family of two meat eaters and one vegetarian. I love recipes that I can adapt to cook the same meal for all of us. In this case I would use some of our reduced chicken for meat eaters and Quorn chicken pieces for vegetarian. Means two pans but just one lot of ingredients prep.

Tonight I'm planning on making smoked haddock chowder for dinner using some of the reduced fish I got yesterday and accompanied by some of the reduced artisan crusty bread from Monday's haul. For the vegetarian option I will replace the fish with chickpeas and some smoked paprika.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I use smoked paprika a lot mydmp, and have I mentioned the rather lovely chipotle chilli flakes in MrM? The two combined are my default cheer a meal up option.

Today is not going to schedule. DS1 off sick, and I feel a little delicate myself but that could just be the tablets. Didn't sleep very well so was reading on the kindle - and was flicking through '30 days to an organised home' and the flylady book as they are both free to read on my unlimited trial..

I like reading about making a difference, I don't actually like doing it. I am going to shut down the laptop now, and shine my sink. Dressed to shoes obviously.

Visitors tomorrow evening and Saturday. I do actually need to crack on with it.

Ooh, must just check prolific and .... :o
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks for the chipotle flakes tip I'll be getting that. I use smoked paprika a lot but combining the 2 sounds like a good idea.

'dressed to shoes obviously' :)

Sorry DS1 is unwell. Do the best you can today and be kind to yourself.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Pottering in the dining room, I can almost see a table.

Along the way I have tidied up several cat beds and replaced a couple of chewed shoe box beds with clean ones, This is an outrageous crime. You can cut the atmosphere with a knife. Can't even sulk outside because it is snowing :cool:
  • sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :eek: redo you can't throw out the favoured cardboard boxes. :rotfl: We have a dedicated cardboard box in our kitchen & the big cat would never forgive us if we threw it out. He likes to peek at us from inside as though we can't see him and also bop the other cats on the head as they walk past. :rotfl: Also see cat rule no 2: "If I fits, I sits" and this covers any & all materials. ;)
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,073, Car loan 2 £16,000, 0% CC1 £195. Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I thought I wasn't a cat person but you guys are slowly changing my mind. So funny...:)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Starmummy
    Starmummy Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Redo.... I have a confession I've spent far too many hours this week reading your diary from start to finish.
    It's completely addictive I love the cat stories and the recipes have given me something to aspire to. I adore cooking and i've just not made the time recently.

Thank you for all the smiles.

A huge good luck on your journey
    SM
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £9,788.01/£12,618.12 :( (Total debt at LBM 1st Jan '18 c..£19.5k)
    EF/FIT savings £97.24 Other Savings £12.17 House Deposit £4,762.64/£20,000 23.8% :D
  • redofromstart
    Options
    :hello: hello starmummy, thank you very much, that is a lovely thing to say.

Nothing remotely inspirational today food wise though, freezer dinner for the boys and about to sort chilli for OH who is likely to be very late. Probably a jacket potato for me but I have been eating junk in between cleaning so may be not.

The dining room of doom looks a lot better for six hours of effort. It isn't a nice room, and will not be until a lot of work is done, but the clutter and dust mountain is gone. It smells of polish and there are no longer cobwebs hanging from the beams. Clear space on the dressers and the dining table. The cats hate me :o The boys haven't even noticed as predicted.

Sashybo what is it with cats and boxes? You can put one down for two minutes and someone appears. The smaller the box the better.

DIA we will convert you eventually :p The dogs were sat at the top of the garden steps in the sunshine this afternoon, happy to escape from the dust removal.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on the cleaning.

Eat something green :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts