We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Snow is disappearing now. Now I'm checking pipes and fixing leaks (in my reduced state I didn't manage to turn the garage stopcock off properly last autumn which has resulted in 'something' but a minor something). I cleared some areas of lawn for the ground feeding birds and gently knocked the snow off herbs, shrubs etc. I need to start some chillis...

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Ugh. The water butt tap is clogged up. 150l - or a metric tonne and a half - of icy cold, FREE water. And I can't get to use it.

Going to have to try and unclog the tap with a giant pipecleaner. Not sure whether to go for the stripey pink and purple or the day-glo yellow ones in the Art Box.

Failing that, I'm going to have to send the OH up on a stepladder (it was apparently installed by giants. Giants who rode off on their trusty steeds across the nearest prairie after toshing some turf down and vaguely attempting to build a house) to try and reach the top to set up a siphon contraption and waste all of it. Although, going by his previous attempts at 'fixing things' at height, I might be able to make some money for a new butt by putting it on YouTube. :cool:

Any other suggestions on how to unblock it from mystery clogs? It's always been covered 24/7, weighted down with bricks and the only holes are the tiny ones in the lid. I guess it must be sludge from the gutters as the filler pipe slopes up to the drainpipe.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • unrecordings
    Options
    From my experience of unblocking the cheapo solar fountain that's in the pond, you need some wire. Depending on the bore something like the inner sheath & conductor from some 6A or 13A mains cable (ie an old IEC 'kettle' lead). Strip the outer layer of plastic leaving the two or three conductors - they have nice tensile strength without the tendency to buckle like pipe cleaners do, but with a lot more give than a coathanger. Rough up that inner layer of sheathing with a knife if you really need to go to town on the blockage

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any luck with the pipes JoJo?

I desperately need to get up the plot - for mine and its sake!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    CAFCGirl wrote: »
    Any luck with the pipes JoJo?

I desperately need to get up the plot - for mine and its sake!

Much to my disgust, I've got masses of work to do this weekend, so, once again, I'm not getting outside. And I've got a friend to visit next weekend.

At this rate, I'll miss the entire planting season - or, going by the ominous looking portacabin on a bit of wasteland next door but one, I'll go out there intending to start to find out that every scrap of natural light in the garden is blocked by a bunch of flats :(
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My pak choi have germinated yay! Broad beans, not so much :( suspect they have rotted as the compost is very wet. Oh well, it was only a small batch, plenty more seeds to retry.

I've sown some microgreens (peas, rocket and sweet basil), electric propagator warming up for me to sow my tomatoes and chillies tomorrow (is 7 varieties of tomato too much?) and greenhouse due to be delivered on 20 March yippee!

Sadly I am full of cold yet again :mad: so not much progress outside. Oh er and I seem to have ordered redcurrant, blackcurrant, gooseberry, mini kiwi bushes, and raspberry canes :whistle::shhh:
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    Much to my disgust, I've got masses of work to do this weekend, so, once again, I'm not getting outside. And I've got a friend to visit next weekend.

At this rate, I'll miss the entire planting season - or, going by the ominous looking portacabin on a bit of wasteland next door but one, I'll go out there intending to start to find out that every scrap of natural light in the garden is blocked by a bunch of flats :(

'We must rage, rage against the dying of the light'
  • CAFCGirl
    Options
    I need to start installing some pathways on the plot.
    There is usually a communal wood chip pile by our stores.

Now should I be lining it? With membrane? Cardboard/thick newspaper? My concern with membrane is that its plastic and it eventually breaks down anyway (I'm still pulling up sections on plastic the previous tenant used) I feel like it needs lining with 'something' to control the weed growth - although I know they'll eventually come through anyway.
    High foot traffic areas on the plot are starting to get very muddy and slippery.
    Whats everyone else done?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I need to join in again. I went awol last year due to health problems but I was mended last month, however, I'm still recovering and unable to do certain things like lifting (open heart surgery, valve replacements, bi-passes).

I know I'm a little late in getting going but I have so much planned for this year. I've taken over the utility room to start the seeds off, the new potatoes are chitting on the windowsill, the heat mat is plugged in so this afternoon I'll start.

2018 is going to be a good year :):)
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Still waiting on my seed potatoes, so decided to console myself by ordering some more wild garlic (in the green - so I need to plant it straight away). Raining today, so it's plotting & scheming weather

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure