We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The ups and downs and ins and outs of growing your own, 2018

Options

Comments

• CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The Alicante are also quite leggy, but not as much so I'm kind of torn on whether to start again or leave them. I might keep half/re-sow half as I've got some Alicante left
    with leggy seedlings especially toms, when i pot them on I just bury them up to just below the leaves.

I agree with sazzlebegood?, I'd repot them in as high up their stem as possible - which is exactly what I've done with my GD's which did the exact same thing. They've come on tremendously since then.

Day before yesterday was quite productive. I've sown replacements for my cauliflower, more leeks, some celeriac and some early cucumbers. As well as some new (to me) tomatoes - Pink Oxheart and some Mennonite Peppers from a friend in the states.
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Thanks - great tip on the tomatoes. Not sure how it's going to work as they're outgrowing their little propagator and have the cat to compete with for windowsill space (and she's a pusher). Rain clearing here so it's going to be fair enough to get some more tidying done

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • smeeinnit
    Options
    Its been dry and not windy here this weekend so some progress has been made.

I have sown some pak choi and broad beans and planted some shallots and garlic. So pleased to be off the mark at last. I am away for a week in a weeks time so have also sown some seeds indoors with long germination times that don't require propagation, to give me a headstart for when I return. Then to get the greenhouse delivered and constructed for the busy sowing months. So excited now!
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Started re-tying in summer fruiting raspberries. Did this late last year, but an errant bough from a neighbour's tree took half of it out so I was left with uprooted stakes and tangled wire. Nearly there

• sazzlebgood?
    Options
    hoping to get to the allotment today to plant our new apple tree (bare rooted) as the sun is shining. Would recommend growing kalettes as they are a nice addition to a roast dinner.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know now which plot i shall be working on this year and its not the one i wanted it to be so I have been half-heartedly making plans for this year :o We went at the weekend and did a bit of digging and laid some manure down and I have a sort of plan now. I need to make it as low maintenance as possible and hopefully things will be easier this year :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • unrecordings
    Options
    Planted the last of the Poundland trees and somehow did my last remaining good knee in. It feels okay but it started clicking. Found another bit of clay pipe, so a good omen (knees notwithstanding).

• sazzlebgood?
    Options
    new (was a friends who has given up their allotment) shed and green house delivered today. Looking forward to extra toms in the summer
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just paid the allotment fees this morning.

Have to do some experimental budget cooking this month to cover the chunk from this months budget:(

Hows everyone fixing for the cold snap we're predicted. I wanted to go up today since we have our annual inspections in 3 weeks, but the ground is frozen here already and this is supposedly the warmest day for the next week plus :eek:

I think I've lost my second round of cauliflower seedlings to leggyness and my tomato seedlings which were doing ok have all flopped over
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Still nothing planted here, but I spent an hour in the garden earlier tidying and cutting back some plants. Once I've done a second dog walk, I'll get out there again and dig up the last of the leeks, tidy the strawberry beds and put some cloches over them ahead of next week's cold spell.
    Spend less now, work less later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport