£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Hi TOPM
    A few observations from me

Building - I am slightly puzzled by the need for Quantity Surveyor on a fairly modest domestic build. We didn't use one on either of our builds - just got quotes from three builders who calculated quantities and costs (they may have used one but that was wrapped up in their price).

Likewise the structural engineer. We didn't use one for our extension but had one for our house build (complicated loading for a cantilevered roof).
    Is there some complication with your design ? A good builder will know what is what for most straightforward builds.

This is only for a year and remember your work is likely to take a hit when you actually do the building work.

Other stuff I would announce to your family that you are having a frugal year to pay for the extension. This means that you are not buying gifts at Christmas and won't be able to join in with expensive celebrations.

These are excellent points. We have had a number of building projects over the years and only a really complicated roof design involved a structural surveyor. Builders worth their mettle can do quantities themselves. If they can't do maths they don't make money and they go out of business. We have removed structural walls and all-sorts - just think support and RSJ where you do.

If ever there was a time to share things with your family it is now - you don't have to tell them about the debt - you are saving to change your house because you love it.

I cannot comment on clothing and stuff - I buy them, I wear them. I use good cream and no make-up. I am not in a position to offer any advice.

I do think consolidating both CCs onto one by September is a good idea (one payment - you will see it go down more quickly) and secure 0% for longer.

Maybe have a look at Frugal Cottage and see what she does to maximise her savings - the occasional frugal month would actively redeploy some or all of your your entertainment budget to savings or debt repayment. Plan free activities for that month (June is good as no Bank or School holidays) - You could do it by tidying to the next pound - so take an extra £1 each time you round into a pot - you will be amazed at how encouraging it is, but you must track it so you can be smug - and so you do not go overdrawn.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Busy_Mee1 wrote: »
    Hi TOPM
    A few observations from me

Building - I am slightly puzzled by the need for Quantity Surveyor on a fairly modest domestic build. We didn't use one on either of our builds - just got quotes from three builders who calculated quantities and costs (they may have used one but that was wrapped up in their price).

Likewise the structural engineer. We didn't use one for our extension but had one for our house build (complicated loading for a cantilevered roof).
    Is there some complication with your design ? A good builder will know what is what for most straightforward builds.

Work- looking at your SOA there isn't loads of wriggle room there, unless you stop the DC's activities which I know you would rather not do. I think you are right the only way you will fund this, is if you make more profit from your work. You can do this in two ways, working more and also minimising your costs.

Yep I am talking about reducing your clothing allowance here....could this be the year that you demonstrate how to dress cleverly from Zara or any other high street chain, with your existing investment/vintage pieces ?

Can you try and get yourself organised so that you can work a bit more through the school holidays this year ?

This is only for a year and remember your work is likely to take a hit when you actually do the building work.

Other stuff I would announce to your family that you are having a frugal year to pay for the extension. This means that you are not buying gifts at Christmas and won't be able to join in with expensive celebrations.

This will hopefully mean that you won't get ambushed by expensive bottles of champagne or promises of treats in London for the DC that you end up covering.

I know you don't like the idea but you could have a cheaper Christmas this year...it is just one year and if it enables you to have the home you want then it will be well worth it. I would start looking for the standard Christmas gifts that you buy every year in sales...new pyjamas, the big Lego set for the Christmas Eve hamper or thinking of cheaper alternatives ( DVD instead of Lego ? )

Hope that helps x
    Ooh, good observations.

Quantity surveyor - I had no idea it wasn't usual, but the architect has repeatedly said it will help us keep a handle on costs as we can be sure we (or the builders) aren't over-ordering at any stage, so I'm not entirely averse to the concept. I will talk to the architect again about it and the cost:benefit ratio.

Structural engineer - Definitely needed. We are removing most of the back wall of the house, and a wall that runs perpendicular to it, so a whole T shape of walls which are, presumably, holding up the floor above in some way, and are set to be replaced with steel beams (I think). I wouldn't feel comfortable proceeding without one, and the architect has said it's essential for buildings control on our type of build.

Clothing budget - this is a really tricky one for me, and it's something I haven't discussed on here a lot because I can just imagine the hand-throwing-up-in-horror and endless backing and forthing over a reasonable budget.

I allocate it as a fairly low percentage of turnover (percentage varies from different types of work I do, depending on the 'importance' of looking the part, but is around 8% of turnover on the whole) and averages around £100 per month. This is already seriously low for my industry, and I feel that I would struggle hugely if it was less. If I had more time, to endlessly browse charity shops and get alterations done, maybe, but I really don't think I can reduce this more than maybe a few quid here or there. One of the problems I have is that I had to throw out more or less my entire wardrobe two years ago when I finally lost my pregnancy weight, and everything I had from before then was trashed from being old or worn during pregnancy/BFing, so I had virtually nothing. The first 12 months were spent building up a cheap wardrobe of clothes, and now I am saving again to replace some of those clothes with more investment pieces when I finally lose the weight I have gained again over the past year. I don't know though. What would other people suggest is a reasonable clothing budget these days for someone working in a fashion/creative/visually judged role (think personal shopper/stylist type role)?

School holidays work - now that is a thought. Not sure how, but maybe I could go with the DC to MIL or my mum's and gain an extra 2-3 hours a day while there for a few days at a time. It wouldn't be much, but every little helps. Will definitely talk to DH about that, as for a one off for this year that might actually be a really good idea. And I have two friends who might potentially swap another 3 hours of childcare here and there. Thank you.

Christmas - Also a good idea to pre-warn about celebrations etc. We have already turned down two 'free' holidays (sob) because they were each going to be £500-1000 in flights/car hire etc even though the place was free when we got there, but I will definitely reiterate that to relevant parties. I am going to look back at last year's Christmas budget and see what we spent on, so I can decide what we might cut back on. I didn't save in Jan or Feb though, so am already down to a maximum of £1k on Christmas, which is £400 less than I spent in 2017, and miles less than in previous years :o .

I think it helps that, rather than the looooooong journey of debt-paying-off, saving for the extension feels like one year of pain for a whole lot of gain, with a real defined end point, so I'm more able to envisage some short term challenges to manage it. The debt just seems like a huge impossible number that's never going to go, TBH.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Your car insurance seems expensive! I assume you've shopped around?

The iCloud storage, are you actually using it all? 2TB a month seems like a lot but I suppose it depends on your work. Any chance you can move some of the stuff to a cheap flash drive and delete some stuff? A tiny saving but a saving nonetheless.

Again with the swimming lessons (I feel like a broken record!) - have the DC learned to swim well enough now that the swimming lessons aren't required, or do they still look like they're needed?

What will happened when your childcare ends? Will it be 0 or will it increase?

The difference in this SOA and the original SOA that you posted is astounding!
    I will look into the icloud storage, as I'm really not sure - it was definitely only £2.99 when we started out, but there was some problem with photos when i tried to move a library between computers. I slightly think I might have the same library on icloud twice :o .

Swimming lessons - my children are terrible swimmers still. Not natural athletes :rotfl: .

Childcare will be zero from July forever more, no before or after school clubs.

I can't believe how much the SOA has changed since we started and I was adamant there was nothing to be done with it!
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What about Secret Santa for the adults with a set limit for spends- we do this in with my family - if you use an online secret santa generator, you can also set an online wishlist so you get exactly what you want?

If you go down the frugal route suggested and tell them all that you are doing a big house save, you could actually set this as a challenge - and set a low limit (£10 secret santa challenge) and save some £££....
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    These are excellent points. We have had a number of building projects over the years and only a really complicated roof design involved a structural surveyor. Builders worth their mettle can do quantities themselves. If they can't do maths they don't make money and they go out of business. We have removed structural walls and all-sorts - just think support and RSJ where you do.

If ever there was a time to share things with your family it is now - you don't have to tell them about the debt - you are saving to change your house because you love it.

I cannot comment on clothing and stuff - I buy them, I wear them. I use good cream and no make-up. I am not in a position to offer any advice.

I do think consolidating both CCs onto one by September is a good idea (one payment - you will see it go down more quickly) and secure 0% for longer.

Maybe have a look at Frugal Cottage and see what she does to maximise her savings - the occasional frugal month would actively redeploy some or all of your your entertainment budget to savings or debt repayment. Plan free activities for that month (June is good as no Bank or School holidays) - You could do it by tidying to the next pound - so take an extra £1 each time you round into a pot - you will be amazed at how encouraging it is, but you must track it so you can be smug - and so you do not go overdrawn.
    I like the idea of a one or two month frugal challenge, will talk to DH about that. Could cope with cheap food shops etc and cutting entertainment kitty right down if it's for a short, defined period, and maybe DH could challenge himself to ebay the last couple of things - wooden marble run, nice baby slings etc - that we haven't charity shopped because we know they're worth listing (but can't actually be bothered to do so...).
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    ramblehan wrote: »
    What about Secret Santa for the adults with a set limit for spends- we do this in with my family - if you use an online secret santa generator, you can also set an online wishlist so you get exactly what you want?

If you go down the frugal route suggested and tell them all that you are doing a big house save, you could actually set this as a challenge - and set a low limit (£10 secret santa challenge) and save some £££....
    I like this idea! Especially if we are not with my mum - easy to suggest no presents if we're with her, but much harder with other relatives as they are all spenders, and 3/4 of our parents - all divorced and remarried - are terrible with money, with two of them in and out of debt, so it would never occur to them that we might be frugal before building the extension unless we spell it out in words of one syllable. Will definitely pull this one out in August when the inevitable Christmas planning begins :eek: .
  • ToTheBatcave
    Options
    Re clothes budget: 100 seems pretty reasonable if you're buying quality clothes at retail prices.

Id suggest spending more time trying to buy second hand if at all possible. I know charity shopping can often be a mixed bag but finding a decent local shop can really help. Quite a few stores near us have been raising prices to be quite expensive but after some research we found two local clearance charity shops which sell all clothes for £1 - obviously results are mixed but have found some excellent vintage/BNWT/quality pieces over time. Pretty sure Cancer research have superstores nationwide where all items are less than £5 (near me all items are less than £3).

Otherwise there is eBay - it might help your online browsing to be more productive if you switched to eBay. You can set up alerts to let you know about new listings if you're looking for something specific (if you've seen an item on a retailers website for example).

This can be very hit and miss but may be worth a go?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Here's the generator - https://www.drawnames.co.uk/
  • Busy_Mee1
    Busy_Mee1 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options

Quantity surveyor - I had no idea it wasn't usual, but the architect has repeatedly said it will help us keep a handle on costs as we can be sure we (or the builders) aren't over-ordering at any stage, so I'm not entirely averse to the concept. I will talk to the architect again about it and the cost:benefit.

This would suggest that your architect envisages that he will be project managing your build, have you discussed this and has he quoted for this ? This is likely to be expensive.

We just went down the main contractor route - i.e the builder project manages the build, co-ordinates the trades and quotes a price for the entire job. Our architect just drew up the plans for planning consent and just came round a couple of times, when the structural engineer was here to sort out the tricky bits.

Worth exploring both options I think, particularly given you haven't had great experience so far with your architect.
  • ToTheBatcave
    Options
    Also forgot to mention that some charities recieved brand new goods from clothings brands directly.

Oxfam recieve new clothes from M&S and Ted Baker (our local Oxfam now has very reasonable prices). And Scope recieves clothes from Boden/Mini Boden.

I think most of the shops recieve items as and when but the manager of my local scope offered to ring when they received new stock as I was interested in quite a few of their Boden items.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback