Haggle with BT - our new guide

Options

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Threaten to leave always depends upon how much longer you are in contract .
    If you are near the end of contract then price up other service providers.
    Phone BT and speak to retentions and say you are leaving as you can get for xx price .
  • saintscouple
    saintscouple Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any advice?

parents have been with bt for years and out of contract, they pay £46.99 a month for fibre and line rental.

we just phoned bt up asking if they can do a better deal as talktalk showing £22.50 a month.

The operative went through an account review and said best price is £36.99 a month for a new 2 year contract.

We declined and asked how do we cancel, to which she said just apply to the new provider and they will inform us.

That was the end of the call.

Parents really want to stick to BT, any idea's as to how we can get the price lowered further?

thanks
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    Go through with a swap and BT should contact again .
  • Uncle_Pennybags
    Options
    I reluctantly gave my notice to BT TV and broadband yesterday after identifying that paying £65 per month out of contract was beyond the pale.

The service was fine but I only watch BT Sport and Eurosport. I got the price down to £35 per month but I!!!8217;d budgeted for £30 per month. I gave my notice for a sake of £5 per month which may be penny wise pound foolish.

Any thoughts ?
  • JJ_Egan
    Options
    What is the BT Sport going to cost via another ISP.
  • rab290
    Options
    My BT contract expires in June 2018. I rang up to check the cancellation charge for the broadband/calls and family sim mobile contract as I could get a cheaper broadband deal with EE over 18 months. They eventually offered me a discount on the broadband/calls which saves me £280 pa if I signed up to another 12 months (but with BT Infinity 1 instead of 2). As I dont really need download speeds upto 76mb I signed up for the 12 months with the option to save a further £120 pa by cancelling BT Sport. I will probably do this after the Premier League finishes in May and wait for another deal later this year if I want BT Sport again.
  • inflationbuster
    Options
    Was paying £37.49 after an increase last year from £34.99. Nearing end
    of contract so called BT first offer was £36.99. After mentioning a cheaper offer elsewhere (for 38Mbps) she spoke with her manager and got me down to £28.99 and l still get faster than 52Mbps (roughly 66Mbps) with 19Mbps upload. This is on Infinity 1 fibre with free speed upgrade.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just called BT as we are paying around £58 for Infinity2 + Landline + Weekend calls + Caller Display. Best deal they could offer me was around £40.

They then started to explain how other companies don't have to keep to their advertised speeds (only 10% of customers get them) - but surely as the cabinet and cables will be exactly the same whoever provides my broadband, I should get the same speed as now?

I left the call dissatisfied and not having agreed to their reduced price, as I still think I can do better elsewhere. The speeds are the most important element to us, although a good call-centre would be important (I've heard horror tales of TalkTalk).

Suggestions? Am I thinking too simplistically about being able to maintain our good speeds if I go to another 'superfast unlimited' company?
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • jd87
    jd87 Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just want to share the story of the deal I just got with BT in case it's useful to anyone else. I have Superfast Infinity 1 (or whatever it's called - roughly 56 Mbps, unlimited usage) and line rental and my intro deal ended so I was paying £49.99 per month.

I called them and said I was looking to cancel and initially they offered a fairly rubbish deal - £36 per month but dependent on taking their mobile (think it was 15 GB for £10 per month). That's probably not bad if you want the mobile but I said I wasn't interested and that I'd seen Vodafone doing the same broadband for £25 per month.

He asked his manager and came back and offered my current broadband package, with a speed increase to between 60 and 80 Mbps for £24.99 per month, 12 month contract (no mobile or BT sport or anything else). Very pleased.
  • Ashridge
    Ashridge Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 4 July 2018 at 12:27PM
    Options
    at first but then later GREAT!
    Received letter from BT telling me of price increases - on Infinity 1 (£149.97/quarter) and Unlimited Anytime calling plan (£28.50/quarter) which means approx £190/quarter or ~£59.50/month and this is then going to go up by £2.50/month fir Broadband and basic calls and £0.49/month for Unlimited Anytime.

Very irritating and so one-sided that an 18 month "contract" entered into as recently as November can be increased in price AGAIN!
    Anyway, called BT this morning, got passed to "Loyalty" team ... all he would offer was "if you sign up now to new contract we won't increase price and you'll stay as you are now".

Not convinced by this ... no flexibility ... no real offer and no reduction .. just an avoidance of an increase!
    Not sure I got through to the right department - is "Loyalty" the same as "Disconnections"? I suspect not. I was going to call them back and get to disconnections but ...

... I also lobbed off a polite email of complaint to the signatory on the letter (just assuming [EMAIL="firstname.lastname@bt.com"]firstname.lastname@bt.com[/EMAIL]) about this being the 2nd increase in a "contract" period and lo and behold .. a call comes in from the Exec Level complaints team or similar and now £49.99 a month is down to £29.99 as if I was a new customer .. DONE!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback