Reindeer food!

Options
mookie
mookie Posts: 2,655 Forumite
edited 22 December 2009 at 4:51PM in It's gone, but was it any good?
I have just made my kids some reindeer food to put out on christmas eve, all you need is
* value brand porridge oats
* edible glitter, sparkles or hundreds & thousands

Mix it up in a pot or food bag and sprinkle on the lawn for Santa's reindeers to find their way to your garden. :D

Was about to post and I looked it up and found these cute little tags you can print for free to attach to your food packs.
http://www.youthonline.ca/christmas/crafts/reindeerfood3.html
http://www.youthonline.ca/christmas/crafts/reindeerfood2.html

Kids will love it.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• xxvickixx
    xxvickixx Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Love this idea - my 2 year old will love chucking porridge all over Nanny's lawn!
  • emweaver
    emweaver Posts: 8,419 Forumite
    Options
    co-op sell reindeer food for £1
    Wins so far this year: Mum to be bath set, follow me Domino Dog, Vital baby feeding set, Spiderman goody bag, free pack of Kiplings cakes, £15 love to shop voucher, HTC Desire, Olive oil cooking spray, Original Source Strawberry Shower Gel, Garnier skin care hamper, Marc Jacobs fragrance.
  • formaldehyde_perfume
    Options
    Did you know, reindeer actually eat mostly lichens, algae and fungus!

It may be obvious to everyone else but I kinda just assumed as they're a hoofed animal they'd eat hay or grass like horses or cows.
  • mookie
    mookie Posts: 2,655 Forumite
    Options
    emweaver wrote: »
    co-op sell reindeer food for £1

tesco value porridge oats are about 42p, I got 6 pots of glitter for 99p and have made up pots for my neice & nephew too, still lots of porridge left to eat and glitter for craft :money:
    Did you know, reindeer actually eat mostly lichens, algae and fungus!

It may be obvious to everyone else but I kinda just assumed as they're a hoofed animal they'd eat hay or grass like horses or cows.

Santas reindeers eat magic sparkly food it helps them fly :p
  • Kayte_2
    Kayte_2 Posts: 582 Forumite
    Options
    I paid 50p for a bag at my daughters nursery the other week :rotfl: least I know I can throw it out and not worry if the chickens eat it lol
  • alm721
    alm721 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last time I did this my dd got upset and panicked incase rudolf ate the glitter by mistake and got sick. I remember her trying to pick the glitter back up off the floor just in case!
  • paulabear
    paulabear Posts: 1,278 Forumite
    Options
    Kayte wrote: »
    I paid 50p for a bag at my daughters nursery the other week :rotfl: least I know I can throw it out and not worry if the chickens eat it lol
    Ooh, the robbing bar stools! Ours gave us some free! By the way would this thread be better in Old Style or maybe Freebies? Just wondered :) thanks OP, might have to do this, kids will love it.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick @ss.... and I'm all out of bubblegum.
  • lucyhope
    lucyhope Posts: 496 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don't want to be a killjoy but you ought to be using edible glitter, the other stuff can poison animals. ( You don't want to be responsible for Rudolph's demise!)
    Sealed Pot Challenge member 28
    2018 total £1520
    2019 total £8995
  • lilian1977
    lilian1977 Posts: 5,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lucyhope wrote: »
    I don't want to be a killjoy but you ought to be using edible glitter, the other stuff can poison animals. ( You don't want to be responsible for Rudolph's demise!)

Agreed, remember and small mammals will probably eat the oats so use edible glitter please - and check that it won't hurt animals first (chocolate can kill dogs!)!
    My debt free diary | Post Office loan: £5,000 | Virgin Credit Card: £4079.19
  • Rozmover
    Options
    Don't do what we did and put it all up the back steps, to show them the way!! As it was wet out, for a week later we were getting poridgy-glittery paste trailed in all over the carpet!! Ha Ha!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure