Son has decided he wants to join up

Options

Comments

• commandomum
    Options
    Hi, i agree with Sazzybum's comments. My 18 year old son joined the royal marines in november 2008 and at the moment is in Norway doing winter survival training. He is loving it and i feel very proud that my son is giving something back to his country (even though he probably doesn't view it like that). Yes, i worry about him going to Afghanistan or other places like it, but like another 'poster' said it is the armed forces.

Your son might change his mind, there is a lot more to joining up than just going to the careers office for an interview etc. It will take several months, in my son's case it took eleven months.

As long as your son knows that you will support him in whatever he does he won't go far wrong.

Good luck to you both, we need more mums and sons like you both.
  • joey75
    joey75 Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    my 16 year old is desperate to join the army but he cant as he takes medication for adhd it broke his heart when i found out he couldnt because of this, they say they have to go 2 years without medication to be considered :(
  • commandomum
    Options
    joey75, your 16 year old can use the next two years to increase his fitness levels, improve his grades at school/college and manage his adhd without medication. He should look at this as an opportunity to be the best he can before he joins up.

Has he thought about the cadets or the TA?

Good luck to him.

Regards
  • jennihen
    jennihen Posts: 6,500 Forumite
    Options
    Hi!
    My Baby girl wants to join the Navy. I'm so proud of her decision and the focus it has given her. She has matured in front of my eyes, and, even though a little part of me hopes she changes her mind, I will support her every step of the way.
    One life.
  • spike7451
    spike7451 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    jennihen wrote: »
    Hi!
    My Baby girl wants to join the Navy. I'm so proud of her decision and the focus it has given her. She has matured in front of my eyes, and, even though a little part of me hopes she changes her mind, I will support her every step of the way.

Navy...NAVY!!! Us RAF eat pussers for snacks!:rotfl:

Seriously tho,My brother was a submariner for 22years.Good luck to her,it used to urine off my civvie mates that I was travelling the world for free!:D

Has she looked here;
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/
  • spike7451
    Options
    gt568 wrote: »
    Utter garbage. Just as much opportunity to play sport in the RAF.
    gt's correct...
    Rory Underwood...RAF Pilot & England Rugby Player,I served with loads of blokes who represented their country while in the RAF,
    RAF Cosford Sports Stadium,used in major sporting events..
    http://wikimapia.org/10366729/RAF-Cosford-Sports-Stadium
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My 16 yo is planning to go in the RAF and wanted to be a pilot but due her wearing contact lenses it's a non starter at the moment although she lives in hopes that the rules will change. She's in the ATC, has done some flying and is planning to apply for a flying scholarship. So now plan B is to take A levels/Advanced Diploma in Engineering (she'll have 14 GCSEs) then to go to uni before joining up., though it does seem to change from week to week.

I'm impressed that she has made most of the enquiries herself, including visiting the forces careers office on her own a couple of times (her dad went with her first time).

I wasn't that keen on the idea of her joining the forces at first but I think it'll suit her, channelling her strengths while providing the structure that she needs.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • jennihen
    jennihen Posts: 6,500 Forumite
    Options
    spike7451 wrote: »
    Navy...NAVY!!! Us RAF eat pussers for snacks!:rotfl:

Seriously tho,My brother was a submariner for 22years.Good luck to her,it used to urine off my civvie mates that I was travelling the world for free!:D

Has she looked here;
    http://www.navy-net.co.uk/

My dad was a Rodney and I married a sqaddie - I know which I'd prefer for her!!!!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    One life.
  • spike7451
    Options
    pandora205 wrote: »
    My 16 yo is planning to go in the RAF and wanted to be a pilot but due her wearing contact lenses it's a non starter at the moment although she lives in hopes that the rules will change. She's in the ATC, has done some flying and is planning to apply for a flying scholarship. So now plan B is to take A levels/Advanced Diploma in Engineering (she'll have 14 GCSEs) then to go to uni before joining up., though it does seem to change from week to week.

I'm impressed that she has made most of the enquiries herself, including visiting the forces careers office on her own a couple of times (her dad went with her first time).

I wasn't that keen on the idea of her joining the forces at first but I think it'll suit her, channelling her strengths while providing the structure that she needs.

Good on her..taking the path to enlightenment...:D
    If she has any questions,she could try here:
    http://www.e-goat.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=198
    HTH,
    Spike
    RAF Armourer 1984-1996.
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks spike. She's just had a look and will investigate further. She says she already goes on altitude and aircadet central forums which are also useful for insider knowledge. Apparently the higher education plan is to do Aeronautical Engineering with Pilot Studies at Liverpool Uni (so I've just been told!).
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport