Options

Comments

• vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lady_Bee wrote: »
    I second this, well done everyone!

I completed week 3 day 2 yesterday. I had reservations about doing it though as my knees were hurting after W3 D1, the three minute jog was a real killer. I decided I would drag myself out there though and even though I managed it my knees were still hurting and I had a bit of a disturbed night last night with the pain :(. Can anyone advise me on this? As you'll remember this is the first 'major' exercise I've done in a long time so is my body just creaking under the strain and I should keep plodding on or should I be taking it a bit easy? I think my technique probably isn't helping, I'm a bit heavy footed so I tried to rectify this and took it a bit easier yesterday. I'd rather carry on so I don't lose momentum but I've seen that week 4 is a bit of a jump in jog lengths which could be a struggle. All advice gratefully received :)

I'm half tempted to say take another rest day if your knees are sore but you've already done another day. How are they now? When I hurt mine they are sore next day but maybe ok the following, depending on how bad they are. I think you probably shouldn't do more if they are still sore from running. Could you try running on grass for one of your runs and see if it helps? When is your next run?
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You ladies are crazy to be talking about running in Vegas, whilst I admire your spirit the only spirit I want in Vegas is something in a novelty glass

:rotfl: that made me laugh. I'll try the novelty glass as well. Have ordered the Senor Frog's groupon for yard drinks...will that do? I'll keep this separate from any crazy running I might do.
  • Lady_Bee
    Lady_Bee Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    lesley74 wrote: »
    I'm half tempted to say take another rest day if your knees are sore but you've already done another day. How are they now? When I hurt mine they are sore next day but maybe ok the following, depending on how bad they are. I think you probably shouldn't do more if they are still sore from running. Could you try running on grass for one of your runs and see if it helps? When is your next run?

Today is scheduled to be day 3, I usually do Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. My left knee seems to be back to normal today but my right one is niggling a bit, not so much painful as it has been but just feeling a bit funny. I think I will give it a go later at a gentle pace and see how I am tomorrow. If need be I can have an extra days rest and schedule week 4 day 1 for Friday.

I currently run on grass, there is a field nearby so my warm up is the walk there and then I do circuits of the field for the rest. It can be a bit uneven around the edge so perhaps I'll come away from the edges a bit, see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    If your knees are causing you pain then rest.

If you find the plan you are following is causing you injury like pain the adapt it as required and build up slower. Running can give you physical pain from pushing yourself while running, but when that becomes injury pain the you need to listen to your body and rest.

If you want to continue to exercise to keep building your fitness then look at alternative exercises that are lower impact, such as swimming.
  • Lady_Bee
    edited 16 June 2015 at 6:34PM
    Options
    If your knees are causing you pain then rest.

If you find the plan you are following is causing you injury like pain the adapt it as required and build up slower. Running can give you physical pain from pushing yourself while running, but when that becomes injury pain the you need to listen to your body and rest.

If you want to continue to exercise to keep building your fitness then look at alternative exercises that are lower impact, such as swimming.

Thanks for this advice. I've only had this pain since the move up to the three minute jog on the C2K plan, I was alright before on the shorter ones. I will take it a bit slower from now on and perhaps not move onto week 4 with the longer jogs for a while. It was all going so well :D

Edited to add that I've given day 3 a miss today. If the knees are better I'll do it on Thursday instead. Perhaps 3 days in one week is a bit much for me, trouble is I do lack motivation when it comes to exercise so the 3 days a week plan was good to keep me going! I'll crack on though at a lower pace.
  • cottyh24
    cottyh24 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. I've only had this pain since the move up to the three minute jog on the C2K plan, I was alright before on the shorter ones. I will take it a bit slower from now on and perhaps not move onto week 4 with the longer jogs for a while. It was all going so well :D

Edited to add that I've given day 3 a miss today. If the knees are better I'll do it on Thursday instead. Perhaps 3 days in one week is a bit much for me, trouble is I do lack motivation when it comes to exercise so the 3 days a week plan was good to keep me going! I'll crack on though at a lower pace.

I didn't always stick to 3 runs a week if I was achy or in pain. I'd often do 2 - it did take me more than 8 weeks to complete but I got there in the end.

I've got a sore hip at the moment so I've decided to take a week off and see if that helps.
  • Lady_Bee
    Options
    cottyh24 wrote: »
    I didn't always stick to 3 runs a week if I was achy or in pain. I'd often do 2 - it did take me more than 8 weeks to complete but I got there in the end.

I've got a sore hip at the moment so I've decided to take a week off and see if that helps.

Good to know, it's not like I have a 5k race planned at the end of the 8 weeks so there's no pressure to complete it in one go! I'll get through it eventually.

Hope your hip is better soon :)
  • VestanPance
    VestanPance Posts: 1,597 Forumite
    Options
    If you're just starting out then your body will take time to adjust. Some folk will be able to ramp up very quickly, others at a slower pace.

These plans are a good guide for new runners, but if you ever start to get injury pain then that's your body telling you to ease off. Trying to ignore or push through injury is something most runners try to do at some point and it never ends well.

You will reach your end target, maybe just not as quickly as you would like. Stick at it and one day you'll think back wondering how you ever struggled to run these distances.
  • 1940sGal
    1940sGal Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    Options
    Good to know, it's not like I have a 5k race planned at the end of the 8 weeks so there's no pressure to complete it in one go! I'll get through it eventually.

Hope your hip is better soon :)

Always good to listen to your body. I did 25 mins one day last week and my knee ached for most of it. It ached for a day or so after so i let it rest and yesterday was the first time I went out again and it felt a lot better.

I used to suffer really bad knee pain when i first started running and it was mainly because i wasn't listening to my body and going out and 'battling through'

Now I'm just taking it easy and if i only run twice a week, so be it. :)
  • Lady_Bee
    Options
    1940sGal wrote: »
    Always good to listen to your body. I did 25 mins one day last week and my knee ached for most of it. It ached for a day or so after so i let it rest and yesterday was the first time I went out again and it felt a lot better.

I used to suffer really bad knee pain when i first started running and it was mainly because i wasn't listening to my body and going out and 'battling through'

Now I'm just taking it easy and if i only run twice a week, so be it. :)

This is all good advice. I think when you start these plans you just plan to bash on through it three times a week, perhaps they could do with adding a bit of beginners advice, maybe some do, the one I'm using doesn't!

I'm still resting up but things seem to be improving. Left knee currently feels fine and right knee is around 90%. I'm hoping to get back out again perhaps Sunday or Monday, I think I will repeat a week 2 day to keep things gentle to start off with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure