Tesco Clubcard fraud - online vouchers stolen

Options

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today I received an e mail from "Tesco" offering me free shopping vouchers but I'm not convinced it is from Tesco though it is very convincing. When you hover over the "click here" to take you through to Credit card the details www.yididaai.com appear. Did any of you who have lost your vouchers have a similar e mail?
  • cwylee
    cwylee Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Today I received an e mail from "Tesco" offering me free shopping vouchers but I'm not convinced it is from Tesco though it is very convincing. When you hover over the "click here" to take you through to Credit card the details www.yididaai.com appear. Did any of you who have lost your vouchers have a similar e mail?

No email of any sort as such and im normally very cautious with these types of phishing emails so im pretty certain that they didnt get hold of my details that way.

Tescos called me about a hour ago after me emailing them in the morning and they said that they have no idea what has happened with my vouchers and where it was spent so it makes me think that it was an inside job (unscruplous employee/s) who done it as how can they have no record where it had gone/spent. But it fairness to them they have said they will recredit the points back on my account with the vouchers that have been spent and the one that is still processing they will block it and i will be able to use that one. Although the points will not be credited to my account until my next statement in May but seeing as im not in a huge hurry to use them thats fine and at least its all sorted now. :T
  • little_lil
    Options
    We have been exchanging emails with Tescos over the last week and cannot believe the level of inability to deal with this. It is clear that this is now a matter of fraud as well as data protection and that our details have been compromised.

A word of warning for those of you with a linked Tesco credit card, clubcard could not guarantee those details were secure either.

We are now at a stage of reporting this to ICO.gov.uk as Tesco clubcard really are not following correct procedure.

It is worth noting that Clubcard admit the problem is their end not ours.
  • aoliver
    Options
    On 12th January I received an email from Tesco direct thanking me for my order for an ipad mini.

I contacted them to inform them that I had not ordered one, redeemed vouchers for one, nor was the name and address of the individual who had placed the order the same as me.

They contacted me back two days later to say sorry, it was BT's fault as the individual concerned and I had similar emails.

Two weeks later I tried to log on, to find that it said my email address was not recognised. Noone at Tesco would speak to me as the account had been amended to the name of the individual who had tried to buy a the ipad mini.

After many phone calls and emails to tesco we have been told that our clubcard points will be refunded. However to date we have still not been told what happened, although one individual did state that there were many individuals registered to the same address as ours with many different names.

I would also note that everything is at our expense and we are continually chasing them. Noone has ever actually said sorry, nor have we been offered any recompense for the time, expense or concern this has caused.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aoliver wrote: »
    They contacted me back two days later to say sorry, it was BT's fault as the individual concerned and I had similar emails.

I'm confused, how can this be anything to do with BT?
  • Engagedtobaz
    Options
    I had this problem as well. I was able to log in and someone elses details were in there and some of my vouchers had been spent. Tesco did send me replacements, but there werent interested in the fact that the details werent mine and even though I asked them to cancel and replace the card they never did.

I think I know who it was who had my vouchers as I had to move out of my house at the time due to a flood and the address was a local address. I think it was a dodgy builder, but cannot be sure.

I am wary now and never bank my vouchers I spend them as soon as I get them.
    Wins 2014 - £100 John Lewis Vouchers, Personalised Razor, Aunt Bessies Oven Glove. Good food show tickets. Forever Friends Bear.
  • Pawan_2
    Pawan_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Well do any of you have anti virus on your PC ?
    Is it up to date ?
    Are your passwords easy to guess ?

Yes, we have anitvirus, yes it's up to date, and no, passwords are not easy to guess.

Given there have been so many similar cases, it really sounds like an unscrupulous employee somewhere passed on the details. I am pretty certain it wasn't phishing in our case - I run a couple of websites, so am fairly careful with regards to internet security - and I never use links that are sent in an email, I only use known and trusted links.

Tesco were very slow to respond to us, and only issued the refund once we had reported the matter to the police and had a crime number. And never did they admit the problem was at their end - the implication was always the problem was with us, despite the fact we live nowhere near the stores concerned, it didn't match our spending pattern, we hadn't given our details to anyone, and were certain our computer was secure.

It was the police that told us that any time someone has access to data, there is the possibility for fraud, and to us, this seemed the most likely explanation. Whether that was carried out remotely or with scam cards we don't know, as Tesco said they couldn't check CCTV records.

You'd think given the number of cases listed above (and the possible number of refunds Tesco is needing to issue?) that they themselves might investigate whether all this data was stolen/passed on at the same time, and if the frauds all took place at the same stores in the same period.
  • Pawan_2
    Pawan_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone who wants to report this, then we were told by our local police to report it to the online action fraud unit, who then recorded it as a crime :

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk
  • little_lil
    Options
    thank you Pawan, I have now completed an online fraud report.

We have cancelled all cards associated with the account and asked for new to be issued with the correct funds in.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This sound exactly the sort of story someone like Watchdog love to get their teeth into and TBH unless Tesco think there is bad publicity involved they don't give a monkeys.

Even those that eventually got your money back the customer service sounds rubbish and there are serious data protection issues.

It would appear they are targeting people who save up the tokens and therefore those who may not notice straight away. To be able to target the larger balances suggests some sort of inside access and selectivity to me.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills